Clyde Season 23/24

Malcolm hasn’t really had a good run, but last week highlighted again that Rennie cannot play up front himself. He is far better with people around him. 

Wouldn’t start Ray Grant either, too big a game when he’s not played for a year. 

Right , Firstly

Ross lyon is nowhere as bad that some repetitive posters keep making out...

Musselburgh game he had a fair to decent game but same guff that he didnt play well just one bad example..

Listen, He not going to win POTY awards but he never hides and looks like trying his best in particular featuring at LB several times which isnt close to his most natural side..

What we do need is to clear out at least 6-8 players and bring im 3or4 championship level players from 1st Jan not 31st and hope there is a bad winter in dec calling off games across our league inc us...

Biggest challenge for Mccall is getting these players to join a team who are currently the worst team in scotland largely down to various players who simply dont look up for the battle , i wouldnt include lyon in that bracket or close..

Yer Mithers Pride🇾🇪

Edited by shawfield shed boy

Lyon has been reasonable for the most part in a defensive sense so far this season, but it's in possession where he really hurts us. Constantly hams simple balls out of play, and his ratio of blunders seems to increase the further he gets up the pitch. To his credit, he doesn't hide, but both he and Jon Craig are terrible options in their own unique ways.

Ian McCall was on todays bbc sportsound podcast. Says his aim is to finish 9th and keep league status, any higher than that a bonus. 

Also mentioned January not being far away, at least he is keeping aims and what he wants to do fairly simple. 

6 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

With Leighfield making such an arse of it the other day, I wonder if McCall will bring Neil Parry back in to the starting line up for Friday evening? I certainly would. 

I think you've forgotten how rank rotten Parry was over an extended period of time before he was dropped.

What's JC Hutchison up to these days?

While you’re all on the topic of worst Clyde players of all time I’d like to pop on and say Scott Gair is one of my favourite footballers in Scottish football history.

If someone could find the highlights of the game he comes steaming out of defence, misses the ball then hides under his own shirt, well that would just make my Columbus Day. 

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

While you’re all on the topic of worst Clyde players of all time I’d like to pop on and say Scott Gair is one of my favourite footballers in Scottish football history.

If someone could find the highlights of the game he comes steaming out of defence, misses the ball then hides under his own shirt, well that would just make my Columbus Day. 

Oh Christ Scott Gair 😳

52 minutes ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Neil Janczyk who played for both Clyde and east fife lads and to even more of a extent Pat Clarke he was pish at east fife.

Thought I’ll join in with the ex players conversation.

I remember Janczyk in his brief spell with us. I remember him being decent with a good footballing brain.

Pat Clarke was criminally misused during his time with us. A natural goalscorer that Bomber Brown played out wide and at times wing back. Madness.

55 minutes ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Neil Janczyk who played for both Clyde and east fife lads and to even more of a extent Pat Clarke he was pish at east fife.

Janczyk done well for us iirc. Obviously not an athlete but done his job.

You could see Clarke was some player for us and scored a fair few goals but the Clyde Madness struck and he was played miles out of position. 

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I think you've forgotten how rank rotten Parry was over an extended period of time before he was dropped.

What's JC Hutchison up to these days?

Parry is not at the level he was at 10 years ago but I’ve always found it bizarre how much he has been flamed by our fans.

Leighfield has been absolutely shocking. He’s been very poor at several goals in the past few weeks vs. Musselburgh, Spartans and East Fife just off the top my head. I’ve erased every other game I’ve been at from my memory so perhaps I’m being harsh, but we should be moving one of the goalkeepers on and getting a new No 1 in as a priority in January imo. There was also a bizarre moment in the Musselburgh game he can be considered very lucky that one of their shots hit off the post because he was absolutely nowhere for it. 

11 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Malcolm hasn’t really had a good run, but last week highlighted again that Rennie cannot play up front himself. He is far better with people around him. 

Wouldn’t start Ray Grant either, too big a game when he’s not played for a year. 

Where was Fraser Malcolm last week when Rennie had to come off and we ended up with Jai Stevenson and Ewan Cameron up front?

I think at the moment if I'm Ian McCall and my choice is between a creaking-but-very-experienced Neil Parry and Leighfield in the form he's currently in, I'm going with Parry. Neither is ideal though.

Might be worth giving Wullie Muir a call in January. 

Keiran MacDonald has also just signed for Gartcairn after his release from Edinburgh City. I would have him straight into the team in a heartbeat. You have to maybe wonder if McCall's missed that because of a lack of lower league knowledge, but hopefully not.

20 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

What we do need is to clear out at least 6-8 players and bring im 3or4 championship level players from 1st Jan not 31st and hope there is a bad winter in dec calling off games across our league inc us...

On what planet are “championship level players” joining bottom of League 2 Clyde in January? 

13 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I think at the moment if I'm Ian McCall and my choice is between a creaking-but-very-experienced Neil Parry and Leighfield in the form he's currently in, I'm going with Parry. Neither is ideal though.

Might be worth giving Wullie Muir a call in January. 

Keiran MacDonald has also just signed for Gartcairn after his release from Edinburgh City. I would have him straight into the team in a heartbeat. You have to maybe wonder if McCall's missed that because of a lack of lower league knowledge, but hopefully not.

He signed for them before McCall's appointment and we couldn't have paid him anything until January anyway as he was released after the transfer deadline.

15 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Ah that makes more sense then. He's definitely one I'd look to try and get in January if possible.

I think Gartcairn are one of the teams in the west that have a decent backing as they have a few good players that will be on a good packet that could do a job for us just now. Ian McShane, Paddy Boyle and Mark Mcguigan.

They also have Scott Rumsby, Jamie Bain,  Darren Smith and Kevin Nicoll. Would have thought Rumsby, Smith and Bain would have options higher up the chain. Rumsby was on a good wage at Pollok last year 

With the way things are going in the west we aren’t just competing against league rivals for good players we are competing against teams further down also. Some good players sticking in the west of Scotland league and good players dropping down. Think it was really seen this past summer with the level of players being signed later in the window. Same as ourselves a lot of other league 2 teams announced initial signings that had obviously been done before the window open and then there was nothing. Everyone was shopping around for quality within the dregs of what was left.

Been saying it for a good few years now the times are changing in Scottish football and teams like Ourselves, Brechin, Elgin, Berwick, Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath had to evolve or be left behind. If we survive this season it should serve as a wake up call to the board, management and fans as to what the situation realistically is. 

Edited by Ocelot1877