Clyde Season 23/24

Oh Kinnear. That’s not bad at all. I was fairly convinced he’d be off. I don’t think he’s a Brett Long or a Darren Jamieson but I think he’s a pretty solid keeper at this level. We’d have been safe so much sooner had he been in goals for us all season.

A scarecrow would've been a cheaper upgrade on Leighfield, but Kinnear made a few big saves in the run-in and is young enough that he has plenty of improvement in him if he knuckles down. Good enough 'keeper for our ambitions I'd say.

Unless anything else is announced tonight, that gives us Kinnear, Dunachie, Hamilton, Lyon, Hynes, Cuddihy, Grant, Leitch, and Rennie signed up for next season. McCulloch and Peter Grant too but I’m not counting them given we’ve announced they’re free to find new clubs.

Guys like Rennie, Lyon, Hynes and probably Dunachie all fall under ‘should be squad players’ for me but I don’t think any of them are particularly bad players for this level. I don’t think that’s a terrible start but we’ll still need four or five quality players in there if we’ve ambitions of promotion next season. If nothing else, it’s refreshing to see business being done early. These renewals are being announced a whole month early than the equivalent set last season. Helped by the fact we know what league we’re in, of course.

Two years for Howie is a tad surprising, although with a full pre-season with a settled squad I expect that he'll be a more reliable performer. I did have a feeling that McCall would've been targeting a bigger central defender to complement Hamilton, though.

Ian McCall commented after watching the players put pen to paper:-

“I’m delighted that eight of the squad have signed on again for the new season. They are all good players and their form in the second half of the season has been up there with the best in the league. It’s really important to get a strong core of the squad in place at this stage in our preparations for the new campaign and it gives us a good base to build upon.”

Seems that’s it for the night, gives us 10 signed for next year. Would really hope Liam Scullion signs as well but wouldn’t be surprised if a few were looking.