Clyde Season 23/24

5 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

A bit surprised you pick Sula over Dunachie. Dunachie was our best player by a country mile the first part of the season and has been forced to play out of position after the arrival of Hamilton and Howie. For me Sula could look classy at times but at other times my heart was in my mouth with him. 

Personally I would have kept Sula as although he is prone to a ricket now and again cant remember him making many clanger mistakes the 2nd half of the season and he had an outstanding game v Stenny away when won 6-1

There is no guarantee that Howie will sign back on again so with Dunachie and Hamilton already contracted for next season Sula would have been a good back up to have in my opinion (certainly better than P Grant who unfortunately is still contracted for another year).

Or has it never occurred that clearing out likes of Sula leaves a place for another CH with Bit of Quality (Hopefully)? Back up being Dunnachie who can also play full back (better than Sula can). 

Our recruitment should now be improving the squad, signing players who are actually better and more consistent, not just holding on to players who “did ok” in last few weeks. Might not be that easy but that’s what McCall get the big bucks for. 

On 08/05/2024 at 15:44, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Anyone donating any sum above a couple of thousand would be the likes of which we have never seen before.

With regard to his identity and the size of his donation - really none of my business if he is not trying to unduly influence the direction and strategy of the club to its detriment. I would prefer to thank him for his timely and positive contribution.

Conspiracy theories are just boring after a while.

If anyone has thoughts on any situation that significantly and materially differs from the Board, then they know what to do about it. 

They all should reflect on what they could have done better in the past few years - if they can't see or think of anything, then perhaps they should consider if they are best positioned to revitalise our performance as a club and look for another role within the club, because volunteers are always required somewhere.

Nonsense, I’ve  personally ruined your theory and have you forgotten Caplin? Are you not aware of previous chairmen having put substantial amounts of their own money in to keep things going and not forgetting a current Director who has contributed financially-to make the statement you have is wholly wrong.

13 hours ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Nonsense, I’ve  personally ruined your theory and have you forgotten Caplin? Are you not aware of previous chairmen having put substantial amounts of their own money in to keep things going and not forgetting a current Director who has contributed financially-to make the statement you have is wholly wrong.

You're a bawbag

Fife Today linking Lewis Stevenson with Raith. Would love to think we're still in with a shout given the links through his dad but he was born and raised in Kirkcaldy, think he supports Raith too.

Still worth asking imo. Especially at 36 with him being a player that plays in positions where mobility is very important, he may feel it's time to step away from full time football? Seems a very long shot though.

19 minutes ago, Clyde_MM said:

Still worth asking imo.

I agree that it's both worth a punt and a long shot. Lewis Stevenson is still a very good player and almost certainly still capable of doing a job at the top end of the Championship. However, we don't know what kind of yarns McCall and Maitland are spinning behind the scenes.

I will add too, he's not necessarily what we need. He's never played part-time football before, and a lot of the players that make that move don't work out. For every John Rankin type there seems to be two Craig Bryson types.

At the moment it's a bit Schrodinger's Cat. I trust McCall and Maitland to assemble the type of squad that will get us out the division, but I remain nervous and will stay nervous until I see the bodies start to come through the door.

1 hour ago, Clyde_MM said:

Fife Today linking Lewis Stevenson with Raith. Would love to think we're still in with a shout given the links through his dad but he was born and raised in Kirkcaldy, think he supports Raith too.

Still worth asking imo. Especially at 36 with him being a player that plays in positions where mobility is very important, he may feel it's time to step away from full time football? Seems a very long shot though.

Play with Clyde in League 2 because his dad likes the club or play with his old Hibs mentor having a crack at promotion in the Championship for almost double the wage. It'll be a tough one for the lad. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Play with Clyde in League 2 because his dad likes the club or play with his old Hibs mentor having a crack at promotion in the Championship for almost double the wage. It'll be a tough one for the lad. 

It's a bit pie in the sky Moonster, I'll give you that, but have you considered this scenario:

He goes in to train with Raith. Still a player in there, but he just doesn't have the legs for FT football anymore. He starts to think about life beyond football, and wants to do a degree or maybe his badges and wants to really commit to it as well as spending time with his family, so decides to go part time. He tells his da and, with a tear in his eye, old Mr Stevenson says 'It's got to be the Bully Wee son, it's got to be!' before they both embrace and, hand on heart, begin singing the Song of the Clyde. Everyone claps.

Anyway, that's my Lewis Stevenson fanfiction. See you at NDP soon, Stevo!

4 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

It's a bit pie in the sky Moonster, I'll give you that, but have you considered this scenario:

He goes in to train with Raith. Still a player in there, but he just doesn't have the legs for FT football anymore. He starts to think about life beyond football, and wants to do a degree or maybe his badges and wants to really commit to it as well as spending time with his family, so decides to go part time. He tells his da and, with a tear in his eye, old Mr Stevenson says 'It's got to be the Bully Wee son, it's got to be!' before they both embrace and, hand on heart, begin singing the Song of the Clyde. Everyone claps.

Anyway, that's my Lewis Stevenson fanfiction. See you at NDP soon, Stevo!

If he's looking at life after football then starting his coaching career at Raith seems more plausible than Clyde, does a year as a player and learns under Murray in a full time environment. I don't reckon he'd be cheap for Clyde and would be a short term option, I reckon you could find a more useful option from the lower leagues at half his price. 

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Dearie me. Bad son found!

In all seriousness, aye it's a long shot and we're only attractive if he wants to step back to part time football to plan for life in the future.

I'd love him to personally, a good point has been made about players taking several steps down to this level not always working out but the last Clyde team to be successful in this league had a "model-pro" of a similar age and with similar pedigree looking to wind down and begin moving off-field. He was successful on the field for us, marshaling a talented young side to promotion and has since secured himself a managerial place and silverware.

Tbh though, I'm guessing he's Edinburgh based so I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up at Spartans or Edinburgh City next season either if it is part time he's after.

1 hour ago, Clyde_MM said:

Dearie me. Bad son found!

In all seriousness, aye it's a long shot and we're only attractive if he wants to step back to part time football to plan for life in the future.

I'd love him to personally, a good point has been made about players taking several steps down to this level not always working out but the last Clyde team to be successful in this league had a "model-pro" of a similar age and with similar pedigree looking to wind down and begin moving off-field. He was successful on the field for us, marshaling a talented young side to promotion and has since secured himself a managerial place and silverware.

Tbh though, I'm guessing he's Edinburgh based so I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up at Spartans or Edinburgh City next season either if it is part time he's after.

Am sure we can rule out Edinburgh 😂