Stirling Albion Season 23/24 Onwards Thread

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I am sorry SA went down and literally said it about a page or two ago.

Still think it was your own fault though.

I completely agree it was our own fault, just some FFC fans seems to revel in it. It was probably your fault for thumping us 5-0/4-0, don't think the players recovered from that. lol.

17 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Hard lines lads , I put it down to you thumping 5 past us and don't think you did much after that , soak it up move on, next season just round the corner and a possible title challenge on the cards this is our level and it's very very fine margins , not great just now but come July the buzz will be back ❤️

Thanks! So we can blame Kelty for allowing Albion to play like Man City for 30 mins in that 5-0 and maybe getting a wee bit carried away haha.

1 hour ago, The Laddie Gastineau said:

Gutted for you too as a really decent poster, pal. Have a bottle(or two) of a good "full bodied" red. 

Cheers. It's going to take a few bottles over a few weeks to get over this one.

37 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

I thought about a long, self-reflective post about what has happened. But in the end, have decided one word is enough. 

Shite. 

Ok, carry on...

Good summary.

I'm not ready for the long reflective post yet either.

Commiserations folks, not much between my mob and the Binos at the end of the day. Enjoyed my visit to Forthbank, proper stadium and club. Keep the faith.

Posted (edited)

I certainly dont take any particular pleasure seeing Stirling relegated. They've really never done anything to upset us and were very hospitable on our visits to Forthbank this season. Couldn't be a starker contrast to the total shambles of Meadowbank which I hope we never have to visit again. 

I'd much rather share a league with Stirling or the other forth valley teams than someone like Cove or Inverness.  

I don't think you could split Stirling and Annan in a footballing sense. But Annan were far more streetwise in their play eg chronic timewasting, buying freekicks, niggly fouls etc. In contrast Stirling just rocked up (particularly in the two visits to TFS), played their normal game against us and were punished for it. By all accounts it was the same at Hamilton.

That coupled with what seemed like enough blind optimism to rival Marvin Bartley was always going to be a recipe for disaster. 

Hopefully they can keep the majority of that squad together, use the extra cash from this season wisely and bounce back at the first time of asking. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I don't think you could split Stirling and Annan in a footballing sense. But Annan were far more streetwise in their play eg chronic timewasting, buying freekicks, niggly fouls etc. In contrast Stirling just rocked up (particularly in the two visits to TFS), played their normal game against us and were punished for it. By all accounts it was the same at Hamilton.

Agree with that and both frustrated me. Be a more streetwise team rather than moaning about not getting the breaks.

The rock up and play their normal game approach to away games really bugged me.

It does nothing for morale to get outplayed and thrashed 5 0 without giving yourself a chance.

Edited by WattersIsGod

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

Agree with that and both frustrated me. Be a more streetwise team rather than moaning about not getting the breaks.

The rock up and play their normal game approach to away games really bugged me.

It does nothing for morale to get outplayed and thrashed 5 0 without giving yourself a chance.

dread to think if that's the future of football at this level 

Zero skill,  zero ability but time wasting and diving to get away draws 

Edited by Binos

I hope it hasn't come to that.

I'm more talking about tactical naievity.

There's hopefully some balance in between our clearly failed approach and the cynical do anything to get a draw style of football.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

I hope it hasn't come to that.

I'm more talking about tactical naievity.

There's hopefully some balance in between our clearly failed approach and the cynical do anything to get a draw style of football.

Sadly I don't see annan getting many critics more plaudits for doing it

these things have a habit of catching on which likely make the product unwatchable 

Edited by Binos

9 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

I thought about a long, self-reflective post about what has happened. But in the end, have decided one word is enough. 

Shite. 

Ok, carry on...

A special GIRUY to you 

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2024 at 12:09, tamthebam said:

I was at Stirling Uni when they were in the Championship (or equivalent) in 1996-7 which was a fairly successful era for the Binos. You wouldn't know Stirling had it's own team judging by the cheeks shirt wearing fuds you saw around the place and I doubt much has changed. 

This isn't unique to Stirling of course but is maybe a reason why they haven't been more successful over the years. 

Stirling have probably one of the nicer stadiums and larger fanbases amongst the part-time clubs but as long as they are renting a council facility its going to be hard to sustain in this league, even in down years like next where you don't have clubs like Falkirk or Dunfermline sticking out. The likes of Kelty, Annan, Stenny etc appear better resourced to me to compete long term because of their setups and I would not put their potential as high as Stirling's - and thats simply just surviving in the league, they look miles off their local rivals Alloa who are more comparable to those teams I mentioned above. I think theres more to their situation than whether its Darren Young who is the manager or not.

Edited by Benidorm

Waited years for the "real" local derby to come back and we only get a season in before yer team goes and ruins  it 

We kept our end of the bargain too ,  😉

just get back up here this time next year and reinstate the fixture , 

From what i could see you kept the core of the promoted team and didn't recruit enough  the latter signings of Crane and Offord were just too late 

And as for Calum crane he signed a two year deal with you so you will most likely have him next season at least  .

I think if this season was an episode of Friends, it would be the one where everyone failed, because ultimately that’s what’s happened at the club, both on and off the pitch!

I just spent an hour typing on my phone, venting, only to just delete it…..what is the point??

Ultimately Currie, Milne, Hilson, Davidson & Carrick are the players we have signed up for next season, along with Stirling Uni’s Cameron McKinley (i’d get shot of Milne & Hilson in a heart beat if we could). These are the players we need to start the rebuild on.

Forget what players have done for us previously, what can they do now is what matters and Darren Young has remained loyal to too many that have let him down. 

Going up as champions I was quietly optimistic that we would do ok at League 1 level but would have been more than happy with 8th. Adding Hilson and MIlne seemed like solid signings. A decent League cup campaign and starting off the season well, it felt like Darren Young got his recruitment spot on. As the season unfolded, it became apparent that far too many players from last season couldn't cope with the step up. 

The defence has been average. We made a lot of stupid mistakes at the back with little protection from the midfield at times. We still had a better defensive record than a few sides who finished above us. I would keep Paul McLean. Player of the year for me and without him, we'd probably have been nowhere near Annan. Held the defence together at times and one of the few leaders. Clark I would possibly keep as well. 

Midfield - shit. Crane decent enough but is he better at left back? Can't really be arsed talking about the others although felt like McPake was a good short term signing and wish him well. 

Strikers were a bit of a disaster. Carrick capable but wasn't great the last few weeks of the season. Hilson extremely disappointing. Decent footballer but we needed him to score a bit more than 3-4 goals.  

I'm hoping Darren Young has a clear out. I agree with BB_Bino - I wouldn't keep Milne or Hilson for League 2 if option of getting rid although I doubt it. I also wouldn't keep Davidson. He was very hot and cold at League 2 level. Offering him a new 12 month contract is extremely disappointing if true and a complete waste of a wage - especially as he has been out long-term. Happy to be proved wrong on that one and he has an outstanding 24/25 season.  

Off the park we have been a bit slow. After going up as Champions there was zero communication regarding season ticket prices/early offers, when the club shop would be open to buy club merchandise and general club updates. I thought their would be a major buzz behind the scenes and the club doing everything to generate more income. I was wrong. Also extremely disappointing that match highlights stopped. 

Hopefully the enthusiasm returns in a few weeks. 

9 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Going up as champions I was quietly optimistic that we would do ok at League 1 level but would have been more than happy with 8th. Adding Hilson and MIlne seemed like solid signings. A decent League cup campaign and starting off the season well, it felt like Darren Young got his recruitment spot on. As the season unfolded, it became apparent that far too many players from last season couldn't cope with the step up. 

The defence has been average. We made a lot of stupid mistakes at the back with little protection from the midfield at times. We still had a better defensive record than a few sides who finished above us. I would keep Paul McLean. Player of the year for me and without him, we'd probably have been nowhere near Annan. Held the defence together at times and one of the few leaders. Clark I would possibly keep as well. 

Midfield - shit. Crane decent enough but is he better at left back? Can't really be arsed talking about the others although felt like McPake was a good short term signing and wish him well. 

Strikers were a bit of a disaster. Carrick capable but wasn't great the last few weeks of the season. Hilson extremely disappointing. Decent footballer but we needed him to score a bit more than 3-4 goals.  

I'm hoping Darren Young has a clear out. I agree with BB_Bino - I wouldn't keep Milne or Hilson for League 2 if option of getting rid although I doubt it. I also wouldn't keep Davidson. He was very hot and cold at League 2 level. Offering him a new 12 month contract is extremely disappointing if true and a complete waste of a wage - especially as he has been out long-term. Happy to be proved wrong on that one and he has an outstanding 24/25 season.  

Off the park we have been a bit slow. After going up as Champions there was zero communication regarding season ticket prices/early offers, when the club shop would be open to buy club merchandise and general club updates. I thought their would be a major buzz behind the scenes and the club doing everything to generate more income. I was wrong. Also extremely disappointing that match highlights stopped. 

Hopefully the enthusiasm returns in a few weeks. 

yep, before the season started, both Milne and Hilson seemed like solid signings.  i did think we needed more. another defender of better quality and another central midfield option. 

the defence was exactly what i thought it would be. last season's defence against better players resulting in more struggles. once we lost Davidson to injury, the midfield was getting completely overrun leading to more pressure on the defence.  if he gets his fitness back then i think he's a key player for us next year. i still think he's a useful player especially at league 2 level. 

Hilson's goal return very poor for how much he played but he doesn't look like a player who is ever likely to get into double figures for goals, more a support striker type in the mould of Thommo but without the height. Carrick worked hard all season but did the best of his work outside the box. 

in midfield, we never seemed to find the right balance. 

off the park annoys me even more. slow to the point of silence and nothingness. such a quiet off season and the usual silence throughout the season. lack of highlights disappointing too. 

14 hours ago, Benidorm said:

Stirling have probably one of the nicer stadiums and larger fanbases amongst the part-time clubs but as long as they are renting a council facility its going to be hard to sustain in this league.

Speaking as a fan of a relegated club renting a council facility - Forthbank is like the Nou Camp compared to Meadowbank. 

An opportunity missed :

It’s September 30th 2023 and we’re live on BBC Alba against Cove. 82 minutes gone, leading 2-1.

Aaron Dunsmore cracks in a volley looking destined for the far corner but Nick Suman gets down brilliantly to his right to save. The ball pops up to the centre of the six yard box where Lewis Milne is arriving. I’m behind the goal and it looks enormous. A massive void in which to deposit the tiny looking football. All the choice in the world and so much goal to aim at.

Milne’s head meets ball and we wait for it to hit the back of the net. From nowhere, Nick Suman springs back up from the ground to save it.

I’m stunned for a second, barely able to take in what has just happened. In all my years watching football, that’s one of the best saves I’ve ever seen. When the ball is cleared, I lead a round of applause for the goalie.

What happens next is entirely predictable now but I didn’t expect it then. Despite going down to ten men, Cove find an equaliser. One point instead of three. A hard and savage lesson. The moment where for the first time in nearly a year it was us on the wrong end of a late goal. It was us going home, thinking how did we not win this.  We would have gone third with a win and continued the good start to the season.

Like the final 10 minutes of the Cove game, I spent the season hoping it wouldn’t matter and that the missed opportunities wouldn’t haunt us. We would not win at home again until the 27th January.

I keep coming back to this as a turning point and a metaphor for the season.

Edinburgh City imploded and were early certainties for the bottom spot. QOS had a woeful season and got 41 points. Annan only 39. We couldn’t ask for a better chance to stay in League One.

We had a free header with the goalie on the ground and still found a way not to score. We’re going back down having won 5 home games all season, averaged a goal and a third per game at home.

An opportunity missed.

1 hour ago, WattersIsGod said:

off the park annoys me even more. slow to the point of silence and nothingness. such a quiet off season and the usual silence throughout the season. 

Again, I have to agree. We were promised transparency when the current Trust board were able to appoint the club board......appointments that would make the back pages, 1 Trust member said, and we've had nothing. We have no idea who our Chairman is or who is running our club day to day and I heard a rumour on Saturday that our General Manager might be causing trouble behind the scenes as well......to who?? Jim McAllister, Robert Chubb and Duncan Strathdee.....it must be as they're the only people I see. I couldn't care less if she is or isn't,  ground down by events off the pitch, I'm now only interested in getting involved with what is on it, but it's still bloody annoying when we're a fan run club that fails to communicate with the fans, except to sell hospitality tables.

Off the field, nothing, that I can see, has improved at the club since Stuart Brown and Colin Rowley left. 

The Trust have gone back to radio silence as well....where's their transparency?? Where are the minutes of the recent AGM, as an example??