Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

35 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

I'd been thinking the same thing recently about Davidson.

What's the story there anyway? I must have missed something amongst the mass of updates we get....

It's more than that though. There seems to be a total lack of confidence.

It took a few weeks longer than I thought, but a few of my pre season fears seem to be coming true.

I thought the squad needed a bit more quality. We pretty much stuck with the same squad. Lewis Milne has been an OK addition but Dale Hilson doesn't seem to have done much.

I thought the defence was too slow and we could do with improvement but we've stuck with last seasons' and been exposed.

There also seems to be an assumption that we could play the same way as last season and I think we've been far too open at times.

We just have to hope they can sort it out.

Dont be so hard on your team lads this is a very difficult league and as I've said before Falkirk and Hamilton apart there is absolutely nothing between any of the rest of the teams , sure we all might have an off day and get a good going over but majority of the time it's a late goal , individual error , gk howler that turns the games , brilliant league and a hard to be involved in , would you have taken where you are right now at start if the season I bet you would've , we are only 1 point better off than we were last season at this stage , game less played , 7 goals better off and 4 places higher and we feel like we are pushing for playoffs whereas last season felt like a relegation battle all season , leagues just mental 

I expected to take a few doings especially in the likes of yesterday's game.

Last week upset me far more. If we can't compete at home with other part time teams in the division the  we are doomed.

Annan and Edinburgh city both being in better form than us worries me further.

Obviously I hope they prove me wrong and show they they aren't totally out of their depth in this league. Its certainly a challenge and let's hope they are up to it.

Players seem to be taking turns having mares in threes and I don't know how you explain that or fix it.  Before anybody starts, I know it's not solely down to that. Poor decisions all over the park cost us the ball too often for a 3 at the back defence to cope over 90 minutes. I'm not saying going back to 4 at the back is a cure all, as it doesn't resolve the rest, but we are shipping goals at a rate that doesn't justify persisting as is.

They've got to get back to being a cohesive unit, but why they aren't and how you fix it I do not know.

8 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Players seem to be taking turns having mares in threes and I don't know how you explain that or fix it.  Before anybody starts, I know it's not solely down to that. Poor decisions all over the park cost us the ball too often for a 3 at the back defence to cope over 90 minutes. I'm not saying going back to 4 at the back is a cure all, as it doesn't resolve the rest, but we are shipping goals at a rate that doesn't justify persisting as is.

They've got to get back to being a cohesive unit, but why they aren't and how you fix it I do not know.

Not at the game on Saturday again I take it ? 

3 huge games for the club coming up, before facing the 3 "big hitters" again, although in current form can we really call QOS that?? I feel we are at a pivotal point in our season, pick up 7-9 points against Montrose, Edinburgh and Annan and I think think we can breathe a sigh of relief and it keeps the threat of a relegation dog fight away from our door for a little while, however lose to Edinburgh and/or Annan and it really is squeaky bum time.

Going into the season, I feared that Darren Young had kept too many players on that possibly over performed last season and were probably at their level in League 2. Obviously with the start we had made, I started to think that I had maybe gotten it wrong, however the last few weeks I think I was probably right in the first place. You can't fault this squad for effort, the lads are trying and I've said on these boards time and time again that this is a very likeable squad, who have given us some fantastic memories, but we are showing to be lacking a little bit of quality at times. This might be down to injuries, that have had a big impact, but if we are to achieve the aim of staying up then we need to find that cutting edge again.

Can't disagree with much of the above. Feel my pre season fears are coming to pass as well.

The good thing is that the effort is still there, they haven't downed tools.

In short spells on Saturday there were periods of decent play and even the odd chance created. Game could have been different if thommos header goes in instead of hitting the bar.

We really could do with a bit of quality though.

Reflecting on Saturday, I thought Murray Miller looked neat and tidy and is starting to fit in. Not sure him and Jack leitch is an effective central midfield combination. They were actually OK at times in possession  but I thought we lacked physicality and midfield organisation in a defensive sense. With a slow defence I'm not sure that works at his level.

Carrick and thommo were lively up front but too often far too far apart.

Carrick seems to be doing a lot of work out of the box.

Josh Cooper again looked decent when he came on. Quite like him on the left cutting inside.

Don't know what the timelines are on getting injured players back. I think we are really missing Ross Davidson in the middle of the park and Lewis Milne is definitely a miss too.

Fear another tough game on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Dumb yatt said:

Agreed. But he seems invisible to his team-mates. Several times he had his hand in the air and in acres of space.

On Saturday, that was the same with Moore as well, for some reason we were simply not interested in switching the play, throughout the match.

It was one of many things to be frustrated about.

I thought the performance was better than the Alloa game at least but that was an extremely low bar.

We are far too easy to play through. The defence are making mistakes for sure but our midfield really aren't helping them at times..

At the start of the season I had no idea how we would do.  None.  By the end of the first quarter we had done well enough. I  put the defeats down to off days and didn't see what was coming, despite the lack of goals scored. Both team and individual performances have declined and I have no idea why.  I'll be in for the Montrose match if it's on, but my old bones are dreading the cold and just praying for a better performance all over the pitch.

Would have to agree with you @WC Boggs, what I would also add is that the effort levels shown in the opening quarter were never going to be sustained every week throughout the season. Yes we weren't scoring goals, but we were "putting bodies on the line" in every department and were working our butts off, but that level was never sustainable for 9 months. That's not to say that the players aren't trying now, I believe they are and I still look fondly on the character of squad that we have, but I just think we lack a little bit of quality.

I've probably not explained myself well in that paragraph, but I know what I mean. I don't know what Young and the Coaching team were thinking in the summer, we can all only just guess on that one, but I think he has known that the squad's limitations....of course he did, but he felt that, with the couple of additions that he made, that it would be good enough to stay up and I think in that regard he is probably right. It'll be a bumpy road along the way and we'll need to keep our fingers crossed that it all works out but generally I do think there are 2 or 3 teams in the league that we are better than. Then, assuming the board want him and assuming there's a bit more money in the pot, then he'll try and progress the club next year, ironically in the way that his Dunfermline team mate Stewart Petrie has done at Montrose.

4 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Would have to agree with you @WC Boggs, what I would also add is that the effort levels shown in the opening quarter were never going to be sustained every week throughout the season. Yes we weren't scoring goals, but we were "putting bodies on the line" in every department and were working our butts off, but that level was never sustainable for 9 months. That's not to say that the players aren't trying now, I believe they are and I still look fondly on the character of squad that we have, but I just think we lack a little bit of quality.

I've probably not explained myself well in that paragraph, but I know what I mean. I don't know what Young and the Coaching team were thinking in the summer, we can all only just guess on that one, but I think he has known that the squad's limitations....of course he did, but he felt that, with the couple of additions that he made, that it would be good enough to stay up and I think in that regard he is probably right. It'll be a bumpy road along the way and we'll need to keep our fingers crossed that it all works out but generally I do think there are 2 or 3 teams in the league that we are better than. Then, assuming the board want him and assuming there's a bit more money in the pot, then he'll try and progress the club next year, ironically in the way that his Dunfermline team mate Stewart Petrie has done at Montrose.

Darren Young and Petrie never played together at Dunfermline, I'm sure they were about 6 months apart. 

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling slightly better than I did on Saturday morning.

Every result that increases the gap between us and 9th place is a good thing.

We caught a break on Saturday with weakened opposition but they still have to be beaten and its a good confidence boost.

Saturday's game is another big one. These are the games we have to win, at home to the other part time sides.

Would be great to see a win at home. It really has been a while.

Would agree and had Saturday gone wrong, it would have been squeaky bum time for sure.

I do think our squad is good enough to stay in the league, I’ve said that from the start, however I was also pleased to hear Darren Young say that the board have been really supportive of the work they have been doing and there might be money in place for a couple of additions in January, and I think that is going to be the key. We’ve had injuries to deal with (like every club) but if we can just get in a couple of players of quality, then it will do us well when our squad gets thin and, it gives Young options.

Nothing has ever been settled in December, but another win this weekend would go a long way to guaranteeing League 1 football next season, 10 points is a big gap.

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Would agree and had Saturday gone wrong, it would have been squeaky bum time for sure.

I do think our squad is good enough to stay in the league, I’ve said that from the start, however I was also pleased to hear Darren Young say that the board have been really supportive of the work they have been doing and there might be money in place for a couple of additions in January, and I think that is going to be the key. We’ve had injuries to deal with (like every club) but if we can just get in a couple of players of quality, then it will do us well when our squad gets thin and, it gives Young options.

Nothing has ever been settled in December, but another win this weekend would go a long way to guaranteeing League 1 football next season, 10 points is a big gap.

I don't think we can rest on our laurels with the squad we have just now...if we do it will be squeaky bum time...another 2 injuries picked up on Saturday...Jojo calf strain & Geach with what looked like a dead leg.... also no getting away from the Edinburgh game, they were so poor & understandable in the dire situation they are in, but we really struggled that first half, clueless &  nervous passing, no responsibility,gifted them a goal & given one in return, Jack scored just at the right time & the second half was alot easier,, Carrick again ran his socks off & led the line, & Wilson did well... 

Still don't understand Banner on the bench & Cooper also 😒 he comes on & scores with 1st touch, he has to start against Annan.... Banner will probably start at the back in Jojo's absence, or Geach if recovered from dead leg, which will probably bring Dunsy into right back 🤔 

Hilson & Milne back against Edinburgh so can be seen as a plus, although personally still not convinced with Milne (just my opinion)

3 points on Saturday would be a great boost & help with the blood pressure & if it's not to much to ask for a new face in at left back in January 🇵🇪 🙏

There's no way he's using extra resource on a left back if Wilson loan continues and we have Clark as well. Clark looked good end of last season and start of this so hopefully he regains form.

Not wishing to kick them when they are down but I noticed that Lee Hamilton was one of those not playing for EC on Saturday. Would have him back in a heartbeat. Think he'd probably be our best centre half. Him and Pabs would make a great partnership I feel.

I'd rather have Banner in the middle too.....Jack Leitch can't play as an 8 in this league i don't think and certainly not without Ross Davidson to cover for him. We're far too easy to play through in midfield and seem to spend so much time chasing shadows.

I think Milne has shown more than Hilson so far.

I have no idea what Josh Cooper has to do to start either.....