Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

5 hours ago, SA45 said:

I was going to mention him. Looks more like 17 than 26 and put himself about like a young Paul Scholes.

Looked like Jack Colback's offspring 61644-1684239669.jpg.297f4a0e22b4ccf9dac48a1935c824e6.jpg 🤣🤣

Wasn’t at the game last night, but you gotta be pleased, and slightly surprised, that we managed to get a comfortable draw against Hamilton. Maybury spoke about the positives in his after match interview against Raith, let’s hope this is another positive sign going into the season.

We played really well 

Good in possession & could have easily been ahead in 1st half..Ally Roy had a couple of good chances

Gaston again looking a great signing...the wall...nothing gets past 👏 👏 

Still need a bit more depth..we can't ignore that fact...it's a long season...but overall we are starting to click..gaffer is doing a good job with what he has 👍

Bino's 🇵🇪 💪

Ally Roy squandered a few good chances. We weren't outplayed at all. Big contrast to our last visit to NDP.

I'm pleasantly surprised at progress to date..

I really hope Sam Denhams injury isn't too bad. Been really impressed with him.

I already think Ricky Waugh looks like an excellent loan addition.  Properly composed central midfielder. Im hoping he's gonna be really good in league 2.

A Left back joins on loan.

Seems to have a decent enough pedigree. 30 appearances for the B team last year in the lowland league. Look forward to seeing him.

image.jpeg.52b796878de62908c1d64594d643ca89.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by WattersIsGod

Any truth in the rumours that the club are cost cutting and are fielding the same squad in League 2 as they are in the Development League?? Haha.

All joking aside, another signing that goes into the “wait and see” box but definitely comes with potential. Having watched a good bit of Lowland League football over the years, there is a jump up in standard but I do trust Maybury as he obviously knows this league.

I said a few months ago that the squad was set to be made up of Development Squad players and youngsters who weren’t offered deals at Full Time clubs, and I’ve been proved right. Some will work, others won’t but actually I am quite excited to see how we do and look forward to the game tonight:

Think we still need another RB as cover for Geech 

Someone to play wide left as Hilson isn't the answer,we need someone who can go past a defender or at least keep him honest 

Ricky Waugh & Harley Ewan look a good partnership in the middle...& with Bailey Dall coming in from Hearts youth system..if he's any good it would allow Crane to be an option in the middle of the park... still unsure about Davidsons hip injury...has missed alot of football, over a full season & given how important he was to us it's a big loss..

Hoping it's just Ally Roy being anxious about getting his 1st goal... his decision making at Accies was poor & when through on goal didn't show any composure... 

But all in all I'm more upbeat than i was 5 weeks ago when we had nothing... hopefully a few experienced loans will come in & help the young guys... a winger would be really nice 👌 🙏 🇵🇪

Interesting night last night, a draw was probably fair but we should have had the game out of sight before Stranraer's spirited fightback. I'm sure they will argue that they should have snatched the win, which looked likely when they got their second, but all in all, I thought it was an interesting game....which is really still a gelling process for us.

First Half, I think you can see what kind of team Maybury wants us to be. We stroked the ball around nicely, working the ball all across the pitch and, like the Broxburn game, this got me excited and I really liked what I saw. I thought the Defence looked solid and when McKinley tapped home the opener, I thought we were on cruise control and were getting a few more. Stranraer looked nothing more than a team that huffed and puffed but had little ideas on how to break us down, and were kept firmly at arms reach by our Defence.

Second Half, we just never seemed to hit those levels again. Players that looked good on the ball in the First Half became wasteful and a Defence that looked solid, seemed to crack under pressure in the final 10 minutes and a better team would have taken more than 2 of the chances. I'm not really sure what had happened if I'm honest.

I think there were lots of positives to take from the match and I'm really excited to see how we do this season. We're playing the football that I want to watch, but in a game where we were cruising and in little danger, we would have thrown away 2 points....had it been a league match.

Still, I say it every year, I'm never too up nor down about these League Cup matches, they are simply a competitive pre-season for me, but credit to Maybury and his team in the job they are doing so far.

First time watching Waugh last night and was impressed. I feel like we've needed a player like him for years, even going back to the promotion season. My only concern is his physicality - or lack thereof - and whether he might get bullied, but there's clearly a player in there!

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Interesting night last night, a draw was probably fair but we should have had the game out of sight before Stranraer's spirited fightback. I'm sure they will argue that they should have snatched the win, which looked likely when they got their second, but all in all, I thought it was an interesting game....which is really still a gelling process for us.

First Half, I think you can see what kind of team Maybury wants us to be. We stroked the ball around nicely, working the ball all across the pitch and, like the Broxburn game, this got me excited and I really liked what I saw. I thought the Defence looked solid and when McKinley tapped home the opener, I thought we were on cruise control and were getting a few more. Stranraer looked nothing more than a team that huffed and puffed but had little ideas on how to break us down, and were kept firmly at arms reach by our Defence.

Second Half, we just never seemed to hit those levels again. Players that looked good on the ball in the First Half became wasteful and a Defence that looked solid, seemed to crack under pressure in the final 10 minutes and a better team would have taken more than 2 of the chances. I'm not really sure what had happened if I'm honest.

I think there were lots of positives to take from the match and I'm really excited to see how we do this season. We're playing the football that I want to watch, but in a game where we were cruising and in little danger, we would have thrown away 2 points....had it been a league match.

Still, I say it every year, I'm never too up nor down about these League Cup matches, they are simply a competitive pre-season for me, but credit to Maybury and his team in the job they are doing so far.

Stranraer stepped up their game that’s what happened.

1 hour ago, unitedbino said:

First time watching Waugh last night and was impressed. I feel like we've needed a player like him for years, even going back to the promotion season. My only concern is his physicality - or lack thereof - and whether he might get bullied, but there's clearly a player in there!

Ive been impressed with him so far too. You are spot on thet we haven't had a player like that in a while.

He's definitely got some talent and confidence.

56 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

Likewise, he was a real standout in the middle of the park, got his foot on the ball and made things happen. I agree @unitedbino, he looks to be the type of centre midfielder that we have lack for years, time will tell but first impressions are positive.

23 minutes ago, thomas 62 said:

Stranraer stepped up their game that’s what happened.

Yeah, you're probably right here. I thought the subs at Half Time and into the Second Half improved things for you. First Half, you had a lot of the ball without actually doing anything with it. As mentioned in my original post, defensively we were steady but there were times where you over played it or there was poor decision making in the final third. That didn't seem to be the case in the Second Half, your balls into the box were sharper, as were the runs, so yeah, you stepped up your game and were a bit more clinical. What I would say, going by last night, you'll do ok this season and won't have any danger of finishing bottom if you keep up that level of performance. I'm not going to pretend to know most of the players in your squad, but as I said, you'll do ok i'm sure.

We're doing a little bit better than what I expected 4 weeks ago. Got off to a good start with Arron Weir doing very well down the right hand side and setting up McKinley for a tap in. Played some excellent stuff in the first half. The midfield exchanged some beautiful passes reminiscent of Barca 2008-2012. Second half was a different story. Nice wee move for Roy's goal but we were shit and it was also against the run of play. Stranraer upped their game. Felt like Gaston could have done better with Stranraer's first but he has been brilliant so far. Impressed with him shouting non-stop. Deffo need more voices on the park. 

Defensively we are ok although I do worry about squad depth. Hopefully Denham isn't out for too long. I have been impressed with Sula. Wins almost everything in the air but Clyde fans were absolutely spot on. He does make mistakes with slack passes but will be a solid defender at League 2 I'm sure. 

A lot of change in midfield and they are doing just fine. Waugh has been impressive. Wright and Ewen have done fine from what I've seen. We could really do with a decent winger on loan. I'm hoping Milne and Davidson are back soon. The gaffer doesn't really have many options from the bench.

You could see the difference Carrick made when he came on last night. It's vital we keep him fit and he gets some service. 

Overall we are ok. Don't think we will be anywhere near top 4 due to squad depth. 

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Likewise, he was a real standout in the middle of the park, got his foot on the ball and made things happen. I agree @unitedbino, he looks to be the type of centre midfielder that we have lack for years, time will tell but first impressions are positive.

Yeah, you're probably right here. I thought the subs at Half Time and into the Second Half improved things for you. First Half, you had a lot of the ball without actually doing anything with it. As mentioned in my original post, defensively we were steady but there were times where you over played it or there was poor decision making in the final third. That didn't seem to be the case in the Second Half, your balls into the box were sharper, as were the runs, so yeah, you stepped up your game and were a bit more clinical. What I would say, going by last night, you'll do ok this season and won't have any danger of finishing bottom if you keep up that level of performance. I'm not going to pretend to know most of the players in your squad, but as I said, you'll do ok i'm sure.

Thanks ,you also should do well.