Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Always think it’s worth comparing last season’s squad with what we have so far. I think we’re at this so far if Telfer and McGill have signed up:

Rae

Ballantyne, Watson, Fordyce, ATS

Aiken, Devenny, Frizzell, McCabe, McMaster, Telfer

Gallagher, McGill, McGregor, O’Connor, Todorov

Unknown - Hutton, Prince

Left - Byrd, Riley, Deveney, Stanway, Dixon, Salim, Smith

Stanway > Aiken, Smith > O’Connor, Salim > Todorov seem obvious replacements so far. 

We’ve made a good start defensively keeping the solid defence that finished last season. A new starting centre back is the main priority, with a left back required too. Another centre back as backup would be nice too depending on the budget but we have Watson, McCabe and ATS who can all cover there. I’m assuming Hutton is even less keen to play next season, so a backup keeper is probably required too.

Midfield is a slight concern. I’m happy with all the players we have but it feels a bit one paced at the moment and lacks some physicality and strength. I still feel we need at least one stronger midfielder anyway. 

I’m happy with the forward options so far. Gallagher and Todorov are good options as the main forward and McGill and McGregor are a good start as wide forwards. I don’t know if O’Connor is better through the middle or not but hopefully he can replace Smith. I’d like another wide option either way as we shouldn’t rely too heavily on McGregor just yet.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Don’t recognise this first boy. The second one was always part of the warm-ups in the latter part of the season but I’m not sure who he actually is? 

f97783b8-d61f-4c0f-be82-b142191f8c5e.jpeg

3a0dbd10-c14a-477e-a95f-c0391c4303db.jpeg

Second one is Elliot Dunlop st mirren under 17s captain midfielder a bit off a Frizzell type player apparently for the reserves but go chance he’ll be involved in first team at some point

35 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Always think it’s worth comparing last season’s squad with what we have so far. I think we’re at this so far if Telfer and McGill have signed up:

Rae

Unknown - Hutton, Prince

Stanway > Aiken, Smith > O’Connor, Salim > Todorov seem obvious replacements so far. 

We’ve made a good start defensively keeping the solid defence that finished last season. A new starting centre back is the main priority, with a left back required too. Another centre back as backup would be nice too depending on the budget but we have Watson, McCabe and ATS who can all cover there. I’m assuming Hutton is even less keen to play next season, so a backup keeper is probably required too.

Midfield is a slight concern. I’m happy with all the players we have but it feels a bit one paced at the moment and lacks some physicality and strength. I still feel we need at least one stronger midfielder anyway. 

I’m happy with the forward options so far. Gallagher and Todorov are good options as the main forward and McGill and McGregor are a good start as wide forwards. I don’t know if O’Connor is better through the middle or not but hopefully he can replace Smith. I’d like another wide option either way as we shouldn’t rely too heavily on McGregor just yet.

We're in a decent place but now the exciting part starts with the new signings and it seems everyone is mostly in agreement on the positions needing filled. We finished 3rd in League 1 last year and it's questionable at the moment if we've improved our starting 11:

O'Connor - Whilst he's an unknown it would be massive if he turned out be better than Smith.

Aiken - Faces a lot of competition for a central midfield and again it would be a bonus if he became a regular starter.

Todorov - On the face of it an excellent signing but given the way Rhys likes to set up it looks like either him or Gal to start.

Anyway, as Rhys alluded to, the quality signings are still to come.

Hutton confirmed as player/coach for another year. I like Hutton as much as anyone else but I really hope we don't see him play again this year. I know he came on against Falkirk but let his last big moment be that penalty save at Dunfermline please.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Rae

Unknown - Hutton, Prince

Looking at that we've really managed to trim off the excess in the squad which is good. The last 2 seasons we've had 3 or 4 players who were nowhere near the required standard. So far there's not a single player that I'd be worried about starting if called upon.

We still need more quality but it's a good starting point.

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

Hutton signing on as a player probably means no other keeper (maybe look at using the emergency loan system again if we nee to).

TBF the plan last season was obviously to have Alex Henderson as second choice. That went kaput when Rae got injured long-term and he ended up having to play when he wasn’t necessarily ready, which ultimately resulted in him leaving. Would assume that would be the plan again, just with somebody either better than Henderson or who’s happy to be on the bench for this season at least. I’d expect it to be another youngster but I’m fine with that proving that they’re not a disaster.

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

TBF the plan last season was obviously to have Alex Henderson as second choice. That went kaput when Rae got injured long-term and he ended up having to play when he wasn’t necessarily ready, which ultimately resulted in him leaving. Would assume that would be the plan again, just with somebody either better than Henderson or who’s happy to be on the bench for this season at least. I’d expect it to be another youngster but I’m fine with that proving that they’re not a disaster.

I know it's easy in hindsight, but I'd say what we did last season with Henderson was the worst of both worlds. You either don't bother with a 2nd choice, use Hutton for the remainder of any game Rae gets sent-off in and then use emergency loans. Or you fully commit to getting a good 2nd choice keeper. What we did last season - getting a 2nd choice goalie who you don't even trust to play is just a waste of a wage.

Given Josh's penchant for red cards - 2 in half a season (plus should have been a 3rd against Dunfermline) - I'd feel better having a reliable 2nd choice. But the obvious question is who is willing to come to be 2nd choice all season and probably hardly get a game? And if you could find someone they'd probably demand a decent salary to make up for it. I took from McCabe's comments after the Falkirk game that he'd tried to sound out Darren Jamieson, but he probably wanted to go somewhere he'd play.

If we are just going with Hutton it'll be interesting to see what we do in the 1st game when Rae is suspended. Surely we can't get an emergency loan when we've known for 3 months that Rae is unavailable?

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I know it's easy in hindsight, but I'd say what we did last season with Henderson was the worst of both worlds. You either don't bother with a 2nd choice, use Hutton for the remainder of any game Rae gets sent-off in and then use emergency loans. Or you fully commit to getting a good 2nd choice keeper. What we did last season - getting a 2nd choice goalie who you don't even trust to play is just a waste of a wage.

Given Josh's penchant for red cards - 2 in half a season (plus should have been a 3rd against Dunfermline) - I'd feel better having a reliable 2nd choice. But the obvious question is who is willing to come to be 2nd choice all season and probably hardly get a game? And if you could find someone they'd probably demand a decent salary to make up for it. I took from McCabe's comments after the Falkirk game that he'd tried to sound out Darren Jamieson, but he probably wanted to go somewhere he'd play.

If we are just going with Hutton it'll be interesting to see what we do in the 1st game when Rae is suspended. Surely we can't get an emergency loan when we've known for 3 months that Rae is unavailable?

I must confess that I never really understood what happened with Henderson. Anyone blaming him in any way for the 6-0 hammering by Edinburgh clearly did not see the game, as Henderson was our best player. He then got a shut out against Clyde and only let in 1 goal in his next two matches. I missed the Alloa game, but in the other two, while he did nothing spectacular, he did nothing wrong either. Then we come to the Montrose 4-2 game, which again I missed, and this may be the explanation as we conceded 4, but if so it appears that he was ditched for one bad performance in 5 games, hardly criminal. I thought that he looked promising, and was sad to see him leave.

3 minutes ago, Sage Monkey said:

I must confess that I never really understood what happened with Henderson. Anyone blaming him in any way for the 6-0 hammering by Edinburgh clearly did not see the game, as Henderson was our best player. He then got a shut out against Clyde and only let in 1 goal in his next two matches. I missed the Alloa game, but in the other two, while he did nothing spectacular, he did nothing wrong either. Then we come to the Montrose 4-2 game, which again I missed, and this may be the explanation as we conceded 4, but if so it appears that he was ditched for one bad performance in 5 games, hardly criminal. I thought that he looked promising, and was sad to see him leave.

I agree he didn't do much wrong, particularly regarding the Edinburgh game. I also thought the management were unfair on him expecting him to be playing out from the back when we should have been focusing on protecting him. But for whatever reason McCabe didn't trust him and went with bringing in Lyness instead, given how poor Lyness was it's a pretty damning verdict from McCabe that he'd rather him than Henderson. Which made it all the more pointless signing him to start with.

If you're going to have a 2nd choice (who isn't also your goalie coach or a youth player) who you don't trust to play then it's just a waste of a salary. I'd rather we either go the whole way and sign a good, experienced goalie, or don't bother and just abuse the emergency loan system again. Having Henderson's registration finally come through last season meant we could no longer play Murray Johnson, so it did us more harm than good.

12 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Henderson was playing with the 18s last year aswell when he wasn’t with the first team he only left cause he was homesick the exact reason Riley left aswell

Yeah, I don't think McCabe handled the Henderson situation very well but that was the spell where he seemed most naive as a manager anyway. I think if something similar happened now he'd deal with things slightly differently. I'd like to think he wouldn't play Lyness when he was chucking in a goal every second game anyway.

Thinking back to that time reminded me of one of the strangest McCabe moments of the season, the 4-0 Montrose win. The same tactics and formation for weeks before that without any success, switches to two narrow blocks of four with Gallagher dropping deep and Jamieson running in behind, we win 4-0 and play very well, only to never see it again. Not criticising him, he got us up anyway, just really weird that he switched for one game to great success and literally never tried it again.

13 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Well technically you could. The rules allow it. There's no "if you've known for 3 months you can't do it" caveat.

However, a better question might be who is going to lend you a keeper to play for a single week, thereby using one of his "two clubs per season" with still 35 games to go. You need a big team who are happy to let a youth keeper go out. Which is what you got last year with Johnson / Hibs and won a watch. Not many 17 year olds will come in and look so assured. Even then though, Johnson was sent knowing he'd likely get a month or two of game time, not 90 minutes. You'll likely be as well letting Hutton play for a week if you're not actually having a regular number 2 keeper.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well technically you could. The rules allow it. There's no "if you've known for 3 months you can't do it" caveat.

However, a better question might be who is going to lend you a keeper to play for a single week, thereby using one of his "two clubs per season" with still 35 games to go. You need a big team who are happy to let a youth keeper go out. Which is what you got last year with Johnson / Hibs and won a watch. Not many 17 year olds will come in and look so assured. Even then though, Johnson was sent knowing he'd likely get a month or two of game time, not 90 minutes. You'll likely be as well letting Hutton play for a week if you're not actually having a regular number 2 keeper.

Guess it goes back to a previous discussion around this. Almost by definition something which you've had 3 months to fix and not bothered to isn't an 'emergency', but not sure how you construct a rule which doesn't allow it whilst not affecting clubs who genuinely need it.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Guess it goes back to a previous discussion around this. Almost by definition something which you've had 3 months to fix and not bothered to isn't an 'emergency', but not sure how you construct a rule which doesn't allow it whilst not affecting clubs who genuinely need it.

Appreciate this isn't where Airdrie are but it probably wouldn't be massively difficult to make a case with some clubs that financially they can't afford to carry a 2nd keeper AND a player / GK coach and therefore 3 months notice is neither here nor there. You're in the Championship now so Trialists are not permitted (which would otherwise be a solution). You either use an emergency loan or you're signing someone as a minimum through to January 1st just to deal with the 1 game possibly*

* the keeper could of course agree to mutually cancel his contract after playing the game but he'd still have limited his ability to play the rest of the season at league level as he'd have used one of his maximum two clubs.