Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Although not officially confirmed yet, I’d be surprised if Rhys would have said anything about Gabby and Telfer if it wasn’t all but done and that’s enough for me.

As I’ve intimated before, was really keen we sign Gabby and delighted we’ve managed to do so. There were signs we were onto something with him the season before last and if not for the freak injury at Clyde the day he grabbed a double, I think he would have gone on to have a cracking run in the team toward the end of the campaign. When you consider he also had a decent spell on the sidelines with one of those innocuous injuries that tend to linger last season as well, his return of goals and assists was very impressive. All this and he’s just turning 23, so more to come, I’m sure.

As for Telfer, ATS, and Hutts, they’re all broadly in a similar category for me - I think they each bring something unique to them and I’m happy to see them stay for that reason, and for what they’ve done in their time with us. My concern would come if re-signing them has a detrimental impact on the budget to add more quality in certain positions, which to be fair, doesn’t look like it’ll be the case as things stand.

I was one of ATS’s biggest doubters and, if I’m honest, I’m still not entirely sold on him. He can be slow, ponderous and telegraphs a lot of what he does - he also isn’t the strongest. However, I can’t deny that he seems to have had a calming influence to all those around him and is clearly well-liked. For those reasons, I reckon he’ll be good to have around the place and to be able to call upon if needed.

Telfer is nothing like the player we were told we were getting from Falkirk fans - quite the opposite, in fact. I think the one thing you can’t level at Telfer, is that he doesn’t work hard enough or put in a tackle. I can think of plenty of games where he harried opposition players and won the ball back well. In addition, he had a couple of really significant performances throughout the season, including the 1-0 win at home to Alloa when he scored the only goal. His main issue seems to be that he does struggle to impose himself on a game at times - he’s not the kind of midfielder to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. Again, I dunno that he’d start for me in a midfield with Frizz and McCabe but a good, experienced option to have.

Hutts needs to be there primarily as a coach for me - there were a couple of ‘you couldn’t write it’ moments for him last season but things could so easily have gone the other way. He’s clearly a great guy, been a great servant to the club and will be great to have around the players, but he needs to be no more than 3rd choice.

Things have panned out over the weekend as I hoped they would and so, in terms of numbers, we’re where I expected - 16 signed up (14 of our own and 2 loans), so I think we need 6 yet. A GK, LB, CB x2, CM, and FW - I don’t think that’s unrealistic and if we were to get that (with an emphasis on quality in the CB/CM roles), we’ll be no one’s mugs next season.

The next few signings will set the tone for what sort of season we can hope for. Whilst nothing is ever guaranteed, if we sign young, untried players, it could be a challenge. However, if we sign some proven, experienced players, we could be on for a decent season. Rhys himself said he wants to start bringing in quality additions now. We've retained the players we all hoped we would. So phase two is building the strength and depth. Exciting few weeks ahead and hopefully some nice surprises for us all to whet the appetite. 

3 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

Hutts needs to be there primarily as a coach for me - there were a couple of ‘you couldn’t write it’ moments for him last season but things could so easily have gone the other way. He’s clearly a great guy, been a great servant to the club and will be great to have around the players, but he needs to be no more than 3rd choice.

McCabe did everything he could to NOT play Hutton last season in a lower league. There’s no chance he’s being seen as a viable number 2. 

14 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

McCabe did everything he could to NOT play Hutton last season in a lower league. There’s no chance he’s being seen as a viable number 2. 

Yeah the only time he started a game last season was in the League Cup, and even then that was only because Henderson's registration wasn't through yet. And had it been a league game McCabe would have went down the emergency loan route as he did a week later anyway. Other than that, the only times he ever came on were as a sub. And any other time he could have started McCabe played Henderson, Lyness or Johnson and Jamieson as emergency loans ahead of him. Whoever we sign and whether or not they turn out to be any good, I can't see Hutton playing for us at all let alone in the first league game of the season. 

Edited by airdrieman

Good idea. Thought Brian was very articulate on the podcast we did about racism and he’s obviously passionate about these issues, the club and the fans. Hopefully a vehicle to improve the match day experience for all. Like getting use of the sensory room back, off the top of my head. 

IMG_9616.jpeg

Seems like a good move with McPhee, good to see the club making moves to build things off the pitch and try and and get fans back to the games on the back of the playoff win. Could use a player like McPhee to add to the squad for the season ahead. 

2 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll just put a question out there if anyone knows off hand? Did Rhys play in the same QOS team as Kevin Holt 🤔

Nope Holt left the season before McCabe joined. I suspect he’ll be moving up the way, I’m sure he was rumoured to be going back to Cyprus but if not I expect Dundee United to go for him.

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

A loan keeper would be a decent shout most likely 

What sort of keeper would we get on loan? Larger clubs are not going to release a promising youngster if there is little or no prospect of him getting game time. Likewise out of contract players won't be likely to sign with little chance of game time. Probably better to use emergency loans where Premier League clubs might be willing to release back-up keepers if they know that they will play regularly at Championship level.

It's surely better for a Premier League back-up to get Championship starts rather than warming the bench in the Premier League.

2 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

A loan keeper would be a decent shout most likely 

Who is going to loan us a goalie to sit on the bench all season? And what goalie would want to be loaned out to sit on the bench? It defeats the purpose of a loan.

I think it will be very difficult for us to get anyone. Some clubs might use the carrot of becoming a goalie coach to get them to sign up as number 2, but we've already done that with Hutton.

Been thinking about the GK thing too and as others have said, the loan idea is a non-starter and would be fairly pointless. 

I reckon we will (and should) go down the younger route again, much like we tried last season. Assuming we can find one, you’re looking for a young promising keeper that comes in with the promise of learning from a highly-rated young keeper (Rae) and an experienced pro (Hutts) all the while knowing it’s highly likely there’ll be chances to show what you can do over the course of the season.

I feel for Henderson, as I liked the look of the lad. As others have said, don’t think you could really blame him specifically in any of the games he played. In fact, if memory serves, the Edinburgh game could’ve been way more than 6 if not for him. However, there’s nowt that can be done if he was home sick and struggled with the impact of that run of games - some of our fans don’t help in those situations either, but that’s one for another day.

Anyway, I’d be looking for someone in the Henderson category again, seems the most logical move.