Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

19 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

We just need 1 point to finish top, if Dundee and Dumbarton draw tomorrow (regardless of the penalty winners) we’ll be through before we kick a ball on Saturday.

I imagine Rhys will be praying for a draw tomorrow night and then we’ll see a team full of reserves on Saturday - and Hutton in goal

8 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

There’s no chance he’ll rest a full team it’s all about getting players a 100percebt fit for the league 

You’re right, but sounds like a few will be left out after picking up knocks and surely Rae will make way for Hutton. We’ll see what tomorrows fixture brings but if it’s a draw I can imagine we’ll see some big changes for Saturday 

I’m sure the boys will still be on their way home after a great win.  Just wanted to say that this team keeps winning against the odds and this confirms that the squad, while needing some more additions, isn’t all that far from being complete.  Also good for possible signings to see the teams success and some potential big fixtures on the horizon.  All great stuff, and yet again - another successful night for Airdrie. Keep it going lads, make me very proud 🥲 

Edited by FLDiamond

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

We have a great opportunity to get a seeded spot in the next round, which would be a great achievement. Unseeded would probably mean a bigger crowd and a tougher game, I’d prefer seeded and take our chances against anyone at home. Need to win at Bonnyrigg first though!

Looking forward to getting Forfar, getting beat and missing out on the money spinner tie. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

As @++Ammo - Airdrie++ will tell you 😉, Ballantyne’s goal was lovely. Really good run and shot (and excellent decoy run from McGregor). 

Of course that was going to be the exact moment the wee fella HAD to have a cola. It's frightening how many goals I've missed through toilets, late in, getting a drink etc 😂.

Got in at 12:30 there, great drive back down to be fair, and the best thing I've took from that.... That team has made my 15 year old lassie take an interest in football, the exciting way they play, the "youthful" side of the squad that wee lassies fancy, the young manager and the promotion bounce it's a really good place at the moment. There's absolutely no danger I could imagine her wanting to come and see Kenny blacks gang in Forfar or the like. 

That days fair cheered me up. I'll post my thoughts on the game later but that was good to see a few folk from on here, leaving with a smile aswell.

9 hours ago, AJ77 said:

We just need 1 point to finish top, if Dundee and Dumbarton draw tomorrow (regardless of the penalty winners) we’ll be through before we kick a ball on Saturday.

We win the group as long as Dundee don't win tonight, so either a draw or a Dumbarton win does it for us.

Really impressed with this team - at 2-2 a draw would have been a great result but they had to go and win it at the death!

9 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

If we are not bringing in a back up keeper before the season starts, then Hutton needs some game time given he will be in for the Dunfermline game. Would be great to play him on Saturday knowing we are already top of the group, if Dundee and Dumbarton draw tomorrow. 

Fantastic start to the season,  I cannot see Hutts playing in the first game,  we signed DJ for the Falkirk 2nd leg,  can see an emergency loan coming in..

This discussion has been done to death and will continue,  it is easier to recruit when a team is winning, don't rest on your laurels,  we are still short of 3 players, not including the Devenney situation (if there is one)..  surely some movement in the next week or so,   rumoured at the weekend that Wotherspoon was training with us as well as the kosovan 18 year old winger Geshi ?

Any further potential incomings,   thoughts...

Just now, Passionate said:

Fantastic start to the season,  I cannot see Hutts playing in the first game,  we signed DJ for the Falkirk 2nd leg,  can see an emergency loan coming in..

This discussion has been done to death and will continue,  it is easier to recruit when a team is winning, don't rest on your laurels,  we are still short of 3 players, not including the Devenney situation (if there is one)..  surely some movement in the next week or so,   rumoured at the weekend that Wotherspoon was training with us as well as the kosovan 18 year old winger Geshi ?

Wotherspoon is as just in keeping fit there’s no chance we could afford his wages 

6 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Wotherspoon is as just in keeping fit there’s no chance we could afford his wages 

The last time I looked he was wasnt making a wage,  and is a free agent,  as you say probably out with our budget,  don't think any Premier sides will sign him would probably have done so by now,   There does come a time when players through age or injuries begin to drop down the leagues, this might be his time..

12 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Who could afford his wages? 

He's 33 now and don't think he managed 20 games for a struggling St Johnstone side, he's not going to have hundreds of offers, if Justin goes then surely that money would be able to fund his wages.

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Who could afford his wages? 

He's 33 now and don't think he managed 20 games for a struggling St Johnstone side, he's not going to have hundreds of offers, if Justin goes then surely that money would be able to fund his wages.

Agree we just keep signing 18 year old laddies and hope to have an impact on this league and indeed stay in it...

Wotherspoon seems like a good signing for a season if he is fit enough, particularly if Devenny is getting sold. Despite the good results the squad remains pretty much at the same level of strength from last year.

However still more worried about:

LB
CB
Backup keeper 

In that order

Edited by G_H

Just now, G_H said:

Wotherspoon seems like a good signing for a season if he is fit enough, particularly is Devenny is getting sold. Despite the good results the squad remains pretty much at the same level of strength from last year.

However still more worried about:

LB
CB
Backup keeper 

In that order

Would like to be greedy and add another winger to that list as McGill can be prone to the odd injury.

Late return after dropping off the other delighted chaps. Don't have the time or the data to post during games and it's been good to catch up.

Thought we played really well in first half and ICT has to change players and style to get back in the game. I was, and remain fuming at the by kick messing about which let them force us back. Too far away to see the penalty but it did look as if we'd blown it. It was a bold, if late, decision to combine Gal and Tod. Indeed when the sub board went up he shook hands with previous ICT team mate and as my mate said: Todorov is about to toddle off, as he looked tired. The team just showed real grit and it was great to see him get that goal, as well as Rae's save.

Great fish tea at the happy haggis and I hope we pleased the Ross County staggies in the away end.

On to top the group!

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Has Euan East signed anywhere yet? If he wanted to try his luck elsewhere, presumably for better wages, he’s running out of options and time. Likewise I don’t think Darren/Agent O’Reilly has signed for a team yet? No idea if we were in for him or would be interested but he is the sort of centre-half we could do with. Brody Paterson? Centre-half and left-back has to be the priority although I still wouldn’t mind another midfielder, especially if Devenny does leave.