Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Just now, AJ77 said:

🤣🤣never seen the game today but excellent result. 3rd year in a row we’ve beaten the premiership team in the group. One more win should see us through.

Same, I was working and following via twitter. Looks like a good resilient performance. Very encouraging.

2 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Same, I was working and following via twitter. Looks like a good resilient performance. Very encouraging.

Granted Josh rae has saved the penalty but sounds like him being clumsy again, surely McCabe can see that a backup keeper is needed.

Great result and run out for the team! Ballantyne really impressed today. 

Evident that we are still 4 players away from competing in the championship. A lot of sloppy passes especially from Rae and the midfield. 

Aitken ain’t a starter for me 

Edited by Diamond1924

Just now, AJ77 said:

Granted Josh rae has saved the penalty but sounds like him being clumsy again, surely McCabe can see that a backup keeper is needed.

Agree fully, keeper, LB and CB as priorities, anything over that is a bonus.

Result was great but don't suppose we really deserved the win on the balance of play but some positives to take.

Whilst we are all looking for defenders to come in, the back 4 looked our strongest part of the side.

Murray Aiken won't let us down but not so sure about O'Connor.

McGregor will excite and frustrate all season.

Gabby was looking sharp but again went off injured although didn't appear that serious. Definitely vital for us, despite missing a free header in the 1st half.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Result was great but don't suppose we really deserved the win on the balance of play but some positives to take.

Whilst we are all looking for defenders to come in, the back 4 looked our strongest part of the side.

Gabby was looking sharp but again went off injured although didn't appear that serious. Definitely vital for us, despite missing a free header in the 1st half.

Interesting to read your thoughts on Aitken. I thought he was nowhere near it today. He didn’t do much wrong but he didn’t do much.

Seemed like a right youngster but I suppose that’s exactly what he is! 

Edited by Diamond1924

Obviously today wasn’t up there with the best of them but we’ve had a lot of big results over the last few seasons compared to the decade or so beforehand. I remember in 2020 trying to think of the best Airdrie games of the 2010s and it was genuinely a tough ask, just a decade full of misery and a club going nowhere. Since then we’ve had the play-off win, that Montrose game, beating Motherwell, St. Mirren and Dundee in the cup, pumping Falkirk every month, the big wins we saw last season, that Dumbarton game, probably others too.

Just now, Diamond1924 said:

Interesting to read your thoughts on Aitken. I though he was nowhere near it today. He didn’t do much wrong but he didn’t do much.

I would put him behind Devenny and probably wouldn't make my current starting 11 but gets himself about the park and I'm sure he will improve as the season progresses.

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It’s a good laugh having a manager who scores all the penalties and free kicks we get.

He has, and will miss more penalties, but every time he steps up he's so confident of scoring.

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Think I agree with all of this. It was a pretty even game overall without many chances for either side. It’s still early in the season and can’t read into one game too much but there were a lot of good Championship players in that Dundee team and we dealt with them well. 

No real issues defensively as you say. I was worried about Tiffoney v Watson but he was never really in the game other than his antics for the penalty, while McCowan was pretty quiet on the other side too. 

I thought Aiken did really well, competed better physically than I expected and while the final pass isn’t quite there yet, he looks like a good option to have around. A very small sample size but I think he’ll be a better fit than Stanway. 

I’d definitely like another wide player to come in after today. We all know McGill is a hugely important player for us and while McGregor and O’Connor have plenty of effort, the same quality isn’t quite there. McGregor did ok today, a tough ask for him but he tried his best. I loved O’Connor’s attitude, smashing into people and the ball towards the end, but I can see why McCabe hasn’t started him yet. The wide players in out system have to be very switched on to track back but also be ready to run in between the centre backs and full backs. O’Connor doesn’t seem to have that part of his game yet but I’m sure he’ll develop.

12 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Interesting to read your thoughts on Aitken. I thought he was nowhere near it today. He didn’t do much wrong but he didn’t do much.

I thought Aitken showed up well today. I'd feel better with him playing every week than McMaster.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

See David wotherspoon seems to be training with us.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Exactly the type of player I’d like to see us add. Obviously at the latter stage of his career but good experience at a good level.

Good old Jackie 😎

50 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

It looked a dive from where I was sitting but TBF, Rae’s reputation does precede him! 

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It looked a dive from where I was sitting but TBF, Rae’s reputation does precede him! 

I agree it looked like the guy made the most of any contact.  Rae himself didn't really complain it was the same at the other end. O'connor looked like he suckered the defender into the contact. 

Before the game I was worried about the defence like others have said.  Must admit I thought the back 4 looked solid.  Dundee passed the ball around well but didn't really do much with it. 

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

See David wotherspoon seems to be training with us.

Keeping fit, another Consilium Sports player.

59 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Great result and run out for the team! Ballantyne really impressed today. 

Evident that we are still 4 players away from competing in the championship. A lot of sloppy passes especially from Rae and the midfield. 

Aitken ain’t a starter for me 

29 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I would put him behind Devenny and probably wouldn't make my current starting 11 but gets himself about the park and I'm sure he will improve as the season progresses.

All about the opinions, for what it's worth I thought Aiken played very well today in a side which struggled to keep possession.

If the stories about Devenny potentially being sold turn out to be correct we'll be seeing more of Aiken and McMaster.

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Good old Jackie 😎

Not as much of a dive as O'Connor but that was for us so it's all good. 😁