Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

37 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Hutts isn’t playing on Saturday we have an Emegency loan coming in plus we are still looking at a another backuo keeper 

I’m not so sure about that. 
From what I’ve heard so far it’s hutton for Saturday, could change tho

20 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I’m not so sure about that. 
From what I’ve heard so far it’s hutton for Saturday, could change tho

I don't know who it is but they apparently have an emergency loan lined up.

They're also trying to get a permanent understudy to Rae. 

They've put bids in for a few defenders. Problem is other Championship teams are in for them as well. So it's became a bit of a bidding war with the players holding out. Defence is the priority and they're pushing the budget to try and get some quality in there. 

Must admit I'm getting a bit nervous about our lack of options but short of signing players for the sake of it, I'm not sure what else they can do. 

18 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I don't know who it is but they apparently have an emergency loan lined up.

They're also trying to get a permanent understudy to Rae. 

They've put bids in for a few defenders. Problem is other Championship teams are in for them as well. So it's became a bit of a bidding war with the players holding out. Defence is the priority and they're pushing the budget to try and get some quality in there. 

Must admit I'm getting a bit nervous about our lack of options but short of signing players for the sake of it, I'm not sure what else they can do. 

Suppose it's better saying nothing than more West Ham  crap ,

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Our squad is paper thin. I was shot down as being negative by a number of posters for complaining about the lack of signings a couple of weeks ago. Don't see many of them piping up about it now. This squad as it stands is nowhere near good enough.

People were also saying a few weeks back how this lack of signings would result in a 'slow start', yet we've won 4 out of 4 (the only club in the country to do so).

All anyone ever said was that anyone who thinks the club weren't/aren't doing all they can to get the right players in clearly doesn't know the guys in charge of the club or the team. I said a few weeks back I'd be disappointed if we didn't have more players signed up by now, and I am. But it's not for the want of trying, as has been said a hundred times, the alternative is that we give up on the players we are after and sign inferior players who aren't good enough and will use up the budget if better players become available. Clearly there will come a point where we might need to do that to ensure we can fill a bench, but I'd rather see it through until the end of August and try and get the players we are after than bail out now.

Everyone knows we need players and the club are doing their best to get them. We've finally got out of League 1 after a decade, started the season better than any club in the country so far, but there's still a negative attitude going into the first game. thediamonddude has it spot on.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

People were also saying a few weeks back how this lack of signings would result in a 'slow start', yet we've won 4 out of 4 (the only club in the country to do so).

All anyone ever said was that anyone who thinks the club weren't/aren't doing all they can to get the right players in clearly doesn't know the guys in charge of the club or the team. I said a few weeks back I'd be disappointed if we didn't have more players signed up by now, and I am. But it's not for the want of trying, as has been said a hundred times, the alternative is that we give up on the players we are after and sign inferior players who aren't good enough and will use up the budget if better players become available. Clearly there will come a point where we might need to do that to ensure we can fill a bench, but I'd rather see it through until the end of August and try and get the players we are after than bail out now.

Everyone knows we need players and the club are doing their best to get them. We've finally got out of League 1 after a decade, started the season better than any club in the country so far, but there's still a negative attitude going into the first game. thediamonddude has it spot on.

Think if the club came out and said just what you have said it would be appreciated by a good few of us ,

33 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Think if the club came out and said just what you have said it would be appreciated by a good few of us ,

So you want the club to come out and say something along the lines of 'hey everyone, just to let you know that we are still trying to sign players, so bear with us as they will come soon enough.'? 

Rhys has said in some interviews he's trying to add to the squad but they have to be the right players. Not sure what else people are expecting. When there's signing news, they will tell us. Until then, I trust there's players being scouted and offers being made. 

The negativity in general on here is a bit mental tbh. I'd rather be a few games into the season and sign the right players than sign anyone just to make up the numbers for the 2st game of the season. 

Anyone thinking the club, board, manager are not trying their best to get players in is just plain wrong. 

But as others have said, we've a budget we need to work within and other clubs are targeting the same players as us meaning it's taking longer than anyone would like as players are holding out for the most money they can get. 

Would I rather we have more players in by now? Of course. Am I panicking that it's not happened yet? Nope. 

We took our time to assemble the squad last season too. And look how it turned out in the end. ♦️

31 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So you want the club to come out and say something along the lines of 'hey everyone, just to let you know that we are still trying to sign players, so bear with us as they will come soon enough.'? 

Rhys has said in some interviews he's trying to add to the squad but they have to be the right players. Not sure what else people are expecting. When there's signing news, they will tell us. Until then, I trust there's players being scouted and offers being made. 

The negativity in general on here is a bit mental tbh. I'd rather be a few games into the season and sign the right players than sign anyone just to make up the numbers for the 2st game of the season. 

Anyone thinking the club, board, manager are not trying their best to get players in is just plain wrong. 

But as others have said, we've a budget we need to work within and other clubs are targeting the same players as us meaning it's taking longer than anyone would like as players are holding out for the most money they can get. 

Would I rather we have more players in by now? Of course. Am I panicking that it's not happened yet? Nope. 

We took our time to assemble the squad last season too. And look how it turned out in the end. ♦️

No we wouldn't want that ,

Haven't been on here in a few days and I've just caught up with the recent posts.

A few good posts explaining everything very well and a lot better than I can.

A point that I don't think has been raised on here is that there was an interview with Dycey a few weeks back that said he wants to take a 'step back' and focus more on being a coach.

He's also mentioned in the paper that the club are actively looking for defenders so I don't know how people think that the club aren't trying to bring in players when they've talked about it in interviews.

I think it's sensible that we are trying to get in a permanent number two, Josh Rae is a brilliant keeper but we are always an injury/suspension away from having to bring in an emergency keeper.

Does anyone ITK have any updates on the Devenny to Crystal Palace move?

57 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Haven't been on here in a few days and I've just caught up with the recent posts.

A few good posts explaining everything very well and a lot better than I can.

A point that I don't think has been raised on here is that there was an interview with Dycey a few weeks back that said he wants to take a 'step back' and focus more on being a coach.

He's also mentioned in the paper that the club are actively looking for defenders so I don't know how people think that the club aren't trying to bring in players when they've talked about it in interviews.

I think it's sensible that we are trying to get in a permanent number two, Josh Rae is a brilliant keeper but we are always an injury/suspension away from having to bring in an emergency keeper.

Does anyone ITK have any updates on the Devenny to Crystal Palace move?

I don’t think anyone has suggested the Club are not trying to bring in players, if they have then that’s nonsense. A lot has been said about how we approach it, especially our defence but the options are limited and none are great.

Pay over the odds and be aware this could include the cost of a loanee.

Wait and wait and get left with the shite.

Or unearth an unknown gem from ????

I shudder to think how we’d get on if Fordyce or Ballantyne get injured and the Devenny situation needs brought to a head as well. It gets real on Saturday and whilst we can field a decent 11  it’s not improved since finishing 3rd last season.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

I don’t think anyone has suggested the Club are not trying to bring in players, if they have then that’s nonsense. A lot has been said about how we approach it, especially our defence but the options are limited and none are great.

Pay over the odds and be aware this could include the cost of a loanee.

Wait and wait and get left with the shite.

Or unearth an unknown gem from ????

I shudder to think how we’d get on if Fordyce or Ballantyne get injured and the Devenny situation needs brought to a head as well. It gets real on Saturday and whilst we can field a decent 11  it’s not improved since finishing 3rd last season.

Yeah the JD situation is getting a bit annoying. We’re clearly keeping him wrapped in cotton wool but it’s dragging out now and he’s a player that can add a lot to a game, so frustrating to see him just sitting on the bench when he could be contributing. Even though we have a good idea why. 

With the league starting, you'd like to think players who have been holding out, would now be making a decision where they're going. Surely? 😕

The money at our level can't be all that great. I'd have thought that any extra they get from holding off is cancelled out by loss of wages/win bonuses from weeks without a Club. 

9 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

With the league starting, you'd like to think players who have been holding out, would now be making a decision where they're going. Surely? 😕

The money at our level can't be all that great. I'd have thought that any extra they get from holding off is cancelled out by loss of wages/win bonuses from weeks without a Club. 

Yeah that's effectively a month's salary they've given up.

There's also the risk they get injured during pre-season and get nothing. It's not totally the same as he was a trialist trying to earn a contract, but Mikey Doyle did his knee in a pre-season game with Morton. Could happen to anyone.

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

Yeah the JD situation is getting a bit annoying. We’re clearly keeping him wrapped in cotton wool but it’s dragging out now and he’s a player that can add a lot to a game, so frustrating to see him just sitting on the bench when he could be contributing. Even though we have a good idea why. 

A do know Deveney has several teams down south wanting him he wants the move to palace but don’t know why it’s taking so long 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yeah that's effectively a month's salary they've given up.

There's also the risk they get injured during pre-season and get nothing. It's not totally the same as he was a trialist trying to earn a contract, but Mikey Doyle did his knee in a pre-season game with Morton. Could happen to anyone.

The club and Rhys particularly will be trying their utmost to get players in,,  at the end of the  day, all teams have a sliding scale of targets and relevant abilities and costs etc,  that's no different now if Rhys is working the same system, are we putting all our eggs in one basket signing wise, it certainly doesn't look smooth,  Euan East has been whoring himself about a number of clubs, a player we are allegedly interested in,  he has played a couple of friendlies for Partick and was binned, he still appears to be available, is he that good to get clubs paying over the odds for,  

Panic stations or not Rhys will be forced into signing players that don't fit his or the clubs remit......  Question did Lachie Byrd or Joe Dixon fit the strict signing policy.....  You decide on that one....

Let's not be naive here,  as of 3pm on Saturday a new season starts and the euphoria of the penalty shoot out will be in the past,   let's go into this new challenge with a ' loaded gun'

10 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The club and Rhys particularly will be trying their utmost to get players in,,  at the end of the  day, all teams have a sliding scale of targets and relevant abilities and costs etc,  that's no different now if Rhys is working the same system, are we putting all our eggs in one basket signing wise, it certainly doesn't look smooth,  Euan East has been whoring himself about a number of clubs, a player we are allegedly interested in,  he has played a couple of friendlies for Partick and was binned, he still appears to be available, is he that good to get clubs paying over the odds for,  

Panic stations or not Rhys will be forced into signing players that don't fit his or the clubs remit......  Question did Lachie Byrd or Joe Dixon fit the strict signing policy.....  You decide on that one....

Let's not be naive here,  as of 3pm on Saturday a new season starts and the euphoria of the penalty shoot out will be in the past,   let's go into this new challenge with a ' loaded gun'

It was mentioned somewhere before but part of the signing policy is young guys to bring in and sell on, but that is same as virtually every other club in the country. Fair to say that Byrd & Dixon didn’t work out and probably Devenny has. Having said it’s guaranteed that most of them will fall in the Byrd Dixon bucket.

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

Witherspoon and Fletcher signed for Pars, no panic till 3oclock anyway ,