Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Still need the Devenny situation sorted asap.   I get the club and even the lad himself not wanting risk a possible good move.  He's only played a few games as a substitute so that won't help his fitness and development if he's asked to go for trials.   If he's genuinely trying to win a move to any club at a higher level paying more than we can good luck to him.  I'd rather he got his move after having a few championship games with us. 

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

Still need the Devenny situation sorted asap.   I get the club and even the lad himself not wanting risk a possible good move.  He's only played a few games as a substitute so that won't help his fitness and development if he's asked to go for trials.   If he's genuinely trying to win a move to any club at a higher level paying more than we can good luck to him.  I'd rather he got his move after having a few championship games with us. 

From what we can gather, he's not being asked to go for trials though. Palace are reported to have made an offer, there is maybe some (protracted) negotiation going on but it's for a transfer and not a trial so it's about remaining injury free.

Play Telfer in one of the wide forward roles. The last few games he has shown he can beat a man in the corner and get into the box, he is a great crosser of the ball and can shoot. He has the energy and can tackle and get around the pitch and has a good football brain for the short pass. Maybe we have had Smith's replacement all along.

That would also let one of the younger midfielders onto the pitch to break up the other team's play.

9 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Heard through the grapevine tonight the Justin to crystal palace transfer will be confirmed in the next couple of days and it's a very good deal for the club. Don't know numbers etc but the words were 'the club has done well'.

Not doubting what you've heard, but I've heard the same thing for a few weeks now. 😂

So think it's imminent but it's now a case of the sooner the better for all parties. And the very best of luck to him. 

1 hour ago, diamond_for_life said:

Am I the only 1 fearing the worst? I feel we are miles off where we need to be 

You are not the only one, said a few weeks back without a good few signings we will finish 10th and despite bringing in a player since then with JD probably leaving and 2-3 injuries we look short of numbers and quality. Hope i'm wrong of course and still time (im hoping for example the JD money may have a few lined up) but as it stands I too fear the worst. 

Bit concerned if Gabby is out again tomorrow. Thistle’s main threats IMO come down the flanks and McGregor and O’Connor don’t offer near the same defensive work-rate that Gabby does. I’d actually be tempted to go a bit more compact and tight, with Gal and O’Connor upfront and playing to get O’Connor in behind. Like we did in the Montrose 4-0 home win last season. I’m not expecting any changes to the shape though, and not much, if any, to the style of play. Here’s hoping David Mitchell has his usual stinker against us. 

Also have the fear Mason Hancock being a self-described ‘ball-playing centre-half’ is going to see him pass the ball straight to Brian Graham in our box for their winner tomorrow. 

Anyway, f**k Thistle 

8 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Not doubting what you've heard, but I've heard the same thing for a few weeks now. 😂

So think it's imminent but it's now a case of the sooner the better for all parties. And the very best of luck to him. 

I can only tell ye what I hear mate. Same person that's told me about a few things at different clubs during the summer that's pretty spot on. I only posted this one because it's Airdrie related 👍👍

Would like to see Hancock start today as I don’t see the point in him being another Lachie Byrd that sits on the bench all season. I’d like to see us go for four in midfield and a front two of Gallagher and O’Connor since Todorov and McGill are unlikely to start. Not convinced McGregor and O’Connor both starting out wide is good enough at the moment.

25 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I can only tell ye what I hear mate. Same person that's told me about a few things at different clubs during the summer that's pretty spot on. I only posted this one because it's Airdrie related 👍👍

Loaned back mentioned?

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Bit concerned if Gabby is out again tomorrow. Thistle’s main threats IMO come down the flanks and McGregor and O’Connor don’t offer near the same defensive work-rate that Gabby does. I’d actually be tempted to go a bit more compact and tight, with Gal and O’Connor upfront and playing to get O’Connor in behind. Like we did in the Montrose 4-0 home win last season. I’m not expecting any changes to the shape though, and not much, if any, to the style of play. Here’s hoping David Mitchell has his usual stinker against us. 

Also have the fear Mason Hancock being a self-described ‘ball-playing centre-half’ is going to see him pass the ball straight to Brian Graham in our box for their winner tomorrow. 

Anyway, f**k Thistle 

Certainly fear Brian Graham,

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Anyway, f**k Thistle 

Going by the match preview interview with the manager it doesn't look like Gabby or Todorov will be in the squad.