Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

26 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

McCabe on record in previous podcasts and interviews in saying he doesn’t have social media.

I think he just uses that one for his coaching thing. 

Anyway, Stirling Uni away in the diddy cup. Always a shame to miss out on one of the foreign teams but at least it’s something different for those who bother with it.

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think he just uses that one for his coaching thing. 

Anyway, Stirling Uni away in the diddy cup. Always a shame to miss out on one of the foreign teams but at least it’s something different for those who bother with it.

Was hoping for this exact tie… what was the chances of it coming up?!?!? Need to be a stato for those odds but really pleased it came up, not too far away from home and something a wee bit different and obviously expecting us to win.  Foreign team in the next round please if they are still there 

For the Connor Smith deal I’m not surprised to see him avoid the Accies.  Said earlier he would be wasting his time in L1 when obviously there would be Championship teams most likely offering the same deal as Hamilton and Hearts will want him at the highest level.  Hoping his brother, the playoff experience and the geography of the whole thing helps our situation. He is most definitely a player I’d love us to have.  And for Gods sake, can the club just conclude this Devenny deal so everyone can move along - would be disappointing if there wasn’t some kind of movement, either coming or going, before the weekend 

Will the Stirling Uni tie be played at Forthbank, a handy local draw for me. As others have said, need the Devenny deal concluded and a couple of players in off the back of it soon, and if its not going ahead just decide that so we can at least start playing him again.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Haud me back, a happy bench warmer just what we need,   

Don't want to be over critical but do you think we are in for any of players mentioned and have we a working recruitment policy....   Doubtful is my answer to both....

I'm sorry but the mere suggestion of us not having a working recruitment policy is just ludicrous and as much 'bin fire' talk as some of the other nonsense you referred to. We've added some permanent signings and a couple of loans so far, all with potential to either start or make an impact off the bench this season. With more to come. That's a decent start IMO. 

Just because we hear nothing doesn't mean nothing is happening. We've no God given right to know what's going on behind the scenes. I for one am quite happy that the ITK rumours have dried up as the vast majority of them are utter bullish!t anyway. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Rhys and the club have looked at loads of players and are busy behind the scenes trying to bring in the right players. Having a smaller budget than most / all teams in this league, it's even more important that we get it right and don't rush in jobbers or buckle to unreasonable wage demands of journeymen. 

To date, we've started better than any other season I can remember for a long time, with 4 wins in 5 games and a very unlucky defeat. We are playing a superb brand of football that gets fans off their seats and, in the main, is excellent to watch. 

Anyone who knows me knows I'm no happy clapper, but I'm certainly happier with how the club is being run and performing than I have been in well over a decade. 

3 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

For the Connor Smith deal I’m not surprised to see him avoid the Accies.  Said earlier he would be wasting his time in L1 when obviously there would be Championship teams most likely offering the same deal as Hamilton and Hearts will want him at the highest level.

Having had a quick glance it seems just about every club in the championship is mentioning Smith.

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I'm sorry but the mere suggestion of us not having a working recruitment policy is just ludicrous and as much 'bin fire' talk as some of the other nonsense you referred to. We've added some permanent signings and a couple of loans so far, all with potential to either start or make an impact off the bench this season. With more to come. That's a decent start IMO. 

Just because we hear nothing doesn't mean nothing is happening. We've no God given right to know what's going on behind the scenes. I for one am quite happy that the ITK rumours have dried up as the vast majority of them are utter bullish!t anyway. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Rhys and the club have looked at loads of players and are busy behind the scenes trying to bring in the right players. Having a smaller budget than most / all teams in this league, it's even more important that we get it right and don't rush in jobbers or buckle to unreasonable wage demands of journeymen. 

To date, we've started better than any other season I can remember for a long time, with 4 wins in 5 games and a very unlucky defeat. We are playing a superb brand of football that gets fans off their seats and, in the main, is excellent to watch. 

Anyone who knows me knows I'm no happy clapper, but I'm certainly happier with how the club is being run and performing than I have been in well over a decade. 

@Passionate does like to be Scottie McClue of the forum but it's a fair point as a reminder not too get carried away with our good start and that we still need to add to the squad with the transfer window fast approaching. 

When is loan deadline this season?

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

@Passionate does like to be Scottie McClue of the forum but it's a fair point as a reminder not too get carried away with our good start and that we still need to add to the squad with the transfer window fast approaching. 

Usually a month after the transfer one I THINK, although please feel free to correct me (again!) @Skyline Drifter

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

So you are agreeing with me kenny_m,   we are old hats at this game,    

Hold on we are not kicking the can down the road again are we,  Loan window is end of September,   You are going to run out of excuses soon.....  

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

So you are agreeing with me kenny_m,   we are old hats at this game,    

Hold on we are not kicking the can down the road again are we,  Loan window is end of September,   You are going to run out of excuses soon.....  

Yip agree we need to get signings done but not exactly in the manner you phrased it.

Yip agree end of September could well be too late as being an "old hat" I realise how quickly it can go belly up.

Strengthen now before that £250k comes in for Devenny and players think we have a bucket load of cash to splash. 😉

51 minutes ago, AlittleB4 said:

Willie Aitchson stepping in to help the coaching set up..

To be fair he does have his coaches  badges......

In all seriousness Willie became a bit of a joke figure,  but stepped into the breqch when we as a club were completely on our arse and nobody would look at us,,  we have come a long way....

We had quite an enjoyable afternoon with him at the helm at Clifton hill did we not...

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

To be fair he does have his coaches  badges......

In all seriousness Willie became a bit of a joke figure,  but stepped into the breqch when we as a club were completely on our arse and nobody would look at us,,  we have come a long way....

We had quite an enjoyable afternoon with him at the helm at Clifton hill did we not...

Yeah I find the full situation very funny but can’t really fault Aitchison for coming in at a very low point and helping out the club. I think for the cup games we had Donald Jennow, who was waiting to leave for full-time work outside of football, and Gordon Dalzell, who the less said about his time at the club the better, as our coaching team. Willie Aitchison and his son loitering behind the Cliftonhill dugout were an upgrade on that.

That day at Cliftonhill was hilarious. Turn up with a team literally consisting of four loanees, two trialists, Scott Stewart and some jobbers (Conroy, McGregor, Brown, MacDonald), won 2-1 with Ryan Tierney’s finest moment, then Ballantyne’s statement all before we’d even had time for dinner. It was just a few days after we lost heavily to Queen of the South in the cup in that game where people thought we were going to appoint Nacho Novo as manager, and then between that game and the Rovers game we sold Andy Ryan and signed Jordan McGregor. A vintage week.

We might still have some issues but as you say, we’ve came a long way since those days.

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I find the full situation very funny but can’t really fault Aitchison for coming in at a very low point and helping out the club. I think for the cup games we had Donald Jennow, who was waiting to leave for full-time work outside of football, and Gordon Dalzell, who the less said about his time at the club the better, as our coaching team. Willie Aitchison and his son loitering behind the Cliftonhill dugout were an upgrade on that.

That day at Cliftonhill was hilarious. Turn up with a team literally consisting of four loanees, two trialists, Scott Stewart and some jobbers (Conroy, McGregor, Brown, MacDonald), won 2-1 with Ryan Tierney’s finest moment, then Ballantyne’s statement all before we’d even had time for dinner. It was just a few days after we lost heavily to Queen of the South in the cup in that game where people thought we were going to appoint Nacho Novo as manager, and then between that game and the Rovers game we sold Andy Ryan and signed Jordan McGregor. A vintage week.

We might still have some issues but as you say, we’ve came a long way since those days.

You forget how bad things were until you see it all written out, we've come a long way since then

On 17/08/2023 at 20:48, GoalForAirdrie said:

No he’s not. Someone retweeted his appointment from 2017 for a laugh on Twitter. And the club Instagram page tweeted it for some reason 😂 

Willie Aitchison not being a player should have gave that one away 😕😂 

Assume it’s a wee guy running the ‘unofficial’ Instagram account. In fairness to him, if he’s too young to remember Willie Aitchison he’s the real winner! 

McGill back in the side, Todorov on the bench and of course no McCabe. Ross County seem to be playing their best 11 so no doubt it will be a difficult game. Maybe not so much playing out from the back today with Simon Murray scurrying about which is a little different from Brian Graham plodding around last week but I'm sure the manager is aware that we can't become too predictable.

Edited to add that I've just noticed that Devenny isn't even stripped today!

Edited by Kenny_m