Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Picked up on this from Twitter, but heard a discussion about possible Hibs candidates on Clyde SSB - McCabes name came up and the panel were quite optimistic about the possibility of him getting a crack at it.  Kind of a ‘new blood, fresh ideas’ approach.   Then got word that his name was also mentioned on the Down The Slope Hibs podcast.  I guess it’s good to see him being recognized for his success so far but have to think he’s miles of a Hibs type job or even Premiership.  But give it a couple of years…

I’ll get shot down for this suggestion but for LB, would anyone consider Brody Paterson? Still young, developing.  Paul Hartley saw something in him and I thought he was solid for us.  Even if it’s a short term loan for cover, see if it works.  I think he could fit in to this side 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Jordan Marshall maybe?

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Jordan Marshall maybe?

He was on trial at St Mirren a few weeks back, don't think anything came of it,  although I think we will be looking for back ups now, with the team doing well, so probably another under 20 from somewhere, this isn't what I agree with, but probably best case scenario..

Don't know if anybody has been following it the Airdrie Reserves got beat 7 nil today from livi,  with Gallagher being red carded, would that rule him out of filling the bench on Saturday,  it was a Reserve league fixture not under 19s..

26 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Picked up on this from Twitter, but heard a discussion about possible Hibs candidates on Clyde SSB - McCabes name came up and the panel were quite optimistic about the possibility of him getting a crack at it.  Kind of a ‘new blood, fresh ideas’ approach.   Then got word that his name was also mentioned on the Down The Slope Hibs podcast.  I guess it’s good to see him being recognized for his success so far but have to think he’s miles of a Hibs type job or even Premiership.  But give it a couple of years…

I’ll get shot down for this suggestion but for LB, would anyone consider Brody Paterson? Still young, developing.  Paul Hartley saw something in him and I thought he was solid for us.  Even if it’s a short term loan for cover, see if it works.  I think he could fit in to this side 

Back at Hartlepool as he still has this year on his contract although he seems to be on the bench every week.

Don't know if anyone is watching boot dreams on the iplayer which is basically a boot camp for out of contract players in England where one guy was going on trial with Altrincham and expected to collect £3k per week. Not suggesting Brody is on that but Hartlepool are top of that league!

52 minutes ago, Passionate said:

He was on trial at St Mirren a few weeks back, don't think anything came of it,  although I think we will be looking for back ups now, with the team doing well, so probably another under 20 from somewhere, this isn't what I agree with, but probably best case scenario..

Don't know if anybody has been following it the Airdrie Reserves got beat 7 nil today from livi,  with Gallagher being red carded, would that rule him out of filling the bench on Saturday,  it was a Reserve league fixture not under 19s..

Anyone know our line up  in the reserve fixture,

28 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Anyone know our line up  in the reserve fixture,

Airdrieonians: Prunty, Hobbs, Cassidy, Gillespie, Fellows, Spalding, Gallagher, Brown, Dunlop, Kavanagh, Watt

Subs: Thomson, Iserhienrhien, McFarlane, Edwards

Huge difference between the teams. Ended up 7-0. In all honestly it looked like a boys club against a professional team. It should be a good experience for the team playing against such good quality opposition but they have a long way to go. 

Gallagher was sent off just after half time but they game was gone by then. Sadly no one from Airdrie really caught the eye. The difference in a year or two at this level seems to make a huge difference so there’s still time for them. 

Lawal for Livingston was a standout. Would take him in a second. 

Edited by Diamonds1924

25 minutes ago, Diamonds1924 said:

Airdrieonians: Prunty, Hobbs, Cassidy, Gillespie, Fellows, Spalding, Gallagher, Brown, Dunlop, Kavanagh, Watt

Huge difference between the teams. Ended up 7-0. In all honestly it looked like a boys club against a professional team. It should be a good experience for the team playing against such good quality opposition but they have a long way to go. 

Gallagher was sent off just after half time but they game was gone by then. Sadly no one from Airdrie really caught the eye. The difference in a year or two at this level seems to make a huge difference so there’s still time for them. 

Assuming it was them Sean Kelly, Stephen Bradley, Jack Hamilton and Dan MacKay are all first team players and there might have been more in the Livi team for all I know. Bradley is a decent Premiership player let alone against essentially an U18s team and MacKay, who scored a hat-trick, scored for Inverness in the Scottish Cup final last season. The difference not only in experience but quality between the two XIs is night and day. A tough lesson for them today but hopefully it was exactly that. 

A few posts discussing signing a left-back. IMO, Ballantyne has been such a revelation at left-back I’d be for keeping him there and signing a backup right-back to Watson. We’ve got Hancock who can cover left-back and even Fellows should he be deemed ready. Whereas if Watson is out through injury/suspension/loss of form we’d have to move Ballantyne over and play a new left-back rather than just replacing him like-for-like with x player as backup. 

18 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

A few posts discussing signing a left-back. IMO, Ballantyne has been such a revelation at left-back I’d be for keeping him there and signing a backup right-back to Watson. We’ve got Hancock who can cover left-back and even Fellows should he be deemed ready. Whereas if Watson is out through injury/suspension/loss of form we’d have to move Ballantyne over and play a new left-back rather than just replacing him like-for-like with x player as backup. 

Was having a look at the free agent list the other day and Blaine Rowe doesn't have a club.

From what I remember he was pretty decent for Falkirk when he played us in the 3-1 game.

I'd be happy with him or Euan East if we are gonna sign another defender as a free agent, McCabe can cover centre half if need be too.

I think that's more the pond we are fishing in rather than 'GMS and Wotherspoon' etc.

1 hour ago, Diamonds1924 said:

I was surprised when it was said we were in the reserve league this season,  it is night and day from  under 19s,   it could be useful with players coming back from injury to get minutes etc,    

It will be a learning experience for the young lads,     I think a few of the lads could still play under 19s anyway..

35 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

A backup Watson would be ideal. He’s been outstanding at right back so far this season and while it’s early days, he’s adapted to the step up a lot better than I expected. I’ve also gone off the idea of signing a left back and would prefer a right sided centre back who could cover right back if needed.

1 hour ago, Diamonds1924 said:

Thanks for team line up,

26 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

think that's more the pond we are fishing in rather than 'GMS and Wotherspoon' etc.

As pointed out by @Diamonds are Forever GMS has hardly played any football in the last few seasons therefore he's in no position to command a big wage whereas Wotherspoon was at the World Cup a year ago and despite a bad injury, I would imagine his stock is considerably higher.

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’ve also gone off the idea of signing a left back

I suppose that very much depends on how Hancock turns out but probably revisit that one in the January window.

Obviously Frizzell is suspended for Saturday. New signing Gavin Gallagher was sent off for the reserves today which I think (correct me if I’m wrong) means he is also suspended for Saturday, despite the red card happening in a reserves match. Obviously Telfer and McCabe might not be fully fit as both have missed recent games due to injury. McStravick isn’t registered yet as far as I know and we’re still waiting on paperwork to be processed. Who joins McMaster and Aiken in midfield at Tannadice on Saturday if neither McCabe or Telfer are ready to return? Dunlop?

15 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Hartley saw something in a few players which resulted in Hartlepool's relegation to the National League last season. His abysmal recruitment at Falkirk is legendary, and his signings for Cove last season and so far this season look dreadful too. I think at this stage the last thing a player would want is an endorsement from Hartley.

Was never really sure about Paterson, he was full of energy and commitment which does fit the profile of what we'd be looking for, but was never sure of his actual ability. Context is important that season because we had Quitongo start the season at left back who was dreadful, and we then had people filling in at left back until Paterson arrived. Any reasonably competent left back was going to look decent given what went before. In a higher league I'd have a few doubts. However he is young and I liked his attitude so he is the type of signing I'd be happy with (not that I think it's realistic).

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Assuming it was them Sean Kelly, Stephen Bradley, Jack Hamilton and Dan MacKay are all first team players and there might have been more in the Livi team for all I know. Bradley is a decent Premiership player let alone against essentially an U18s team and MacKay, who scored a hat-trick, scored for Inverness in the Scottish Cup final last season. The difference not only in experience but quality between the two XIs is night and day. A tough lesson for them today but hopefully it was exactly that. 

Aye there will be a big difference between u18s and a reserve side ,