Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

49 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

A ‘yer da’ thing that annoys me is when a team wears their away/third kit when there’s no need to. Why are we in purple tomorrow? We have an iconic and beautiful kit and should wear it every opportunity we have. Not as if we haven’t seen the purple kit in action already. 

Still haven’t worn the red away kit yet. Will probably be Morton away at the end of the month when we wear that for the first time.  

Agree about the strips, we should always be wearing the diamond whenever we can. Not a fan of the purple one in any case.

Also just saw Joe Dixon being interviewed on the One Show (!?) in a feature on the trials at Broadwood for players looking for new clubs (recorded before he signed for Gretna).  A strange signing, never really got a chance to see him in action, assume Rhys decided early on he didn’t fancy him. 

2 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Couldnt agree more, our diamond kit against DUFC orange / black is a classic in both football and Subbuteo

Totally agree. There’s something about two teams going toe-to-toe wearing their historic colours/stylings that really adds to the experience for me. I know sometimes you might be obliged to wear a certain kit x number of times for sponsorship reasons but all our kits have the same sponsor so it presumably can’t be that. 

49 minutes ago, WL Diamond said:

Agree about the strips, we should always be wearing the diamond whenever we can. Not a fan of the purple one in any case.

Also just saw Joe Dixon being interviewed on the One Show (!?) in a feature on the trials at Broadwood for players looking for new clubs (recorded before he signed for Gretna).  A strange signing, never really got a chance to see him in action, assume Rhys decided early on he didn’t fancy him. 

Seemed a complete waste of time for everyone involved. Think he came on for about 9 minutes when 6-1 up v Kelty and he didn’t get near the ball. My brother is pals with someone who briefly played for Gretna this season and he said Dixon was terrible even at that level 😂 his da knows Jackie Mac so can only assume he was signed as a cheap punt as a favour to him as by the sounds of things he had no business being at a League 1 club. 

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

A ‘yer da’ thing that annoys me is when a team wears their away/third kit when there’s no need to. Why are we in purple tomorrow? We have an iconic and beautiful kit and should wear it every opportunity we have. Not as if we haven’t seen the purple kit in action already. 

Dundee United's socks are orange and black, clashing with both our home (red) and away (black) socks. Purple socks with the home kit would be ridiculous, so full third kit it is.

35 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Magic McStravick, interesting. 🤣

I'm sure he'll be on the bench today but hope we're in a position to bring him on.

Apparently he plays the Frizzell role,  well. Now's yous chance son,  it's  either him or Elliot Dunlop,   if the magic boy plays we could play the same system that has been working .

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Apparently he plays the Frizzell role,  well. Now's yous chance son,  it's  either him or Elliot Dunlop,   if the magic boy plays we could play the same system that has been working .

He's in along with Hancock 

Watson on the bench which surely must be an injury.

Interesting game after getting off to the worst possible start and some decent performances and the final score line flattered Dundee United even though they could have been 2 or 3 up at half time. The 2nd goal is something that's going to happen with the way we play but forgivable when you're chasing a goal in the final minute. For me, Murray Aiken once again our top performer and our best ball winner all over the park. Ballantyne also excellent again with Fordyce & ATs not far behind him. Most did well but Gabby still looking a bit sluggish after his injury.

McStravick showed great ability and will excite the fans even though he gave the ball away a lot, but he'll only improve. G Gallagher kept it simple when he came on and had a decent debut. Hancock not so much but settled down after a really shaky start.

Lot's of positives and the majority of fans will be happy with our decent start although looking at the league table and despite being 5th, I can't help feeling a little disappointed that we're only 3 points of 2nd bottom as it doesn't really reflect our performances. Fine margin's I suppose in this league.

So a mixture of positives and negatives from this game, it didn’t turn out exactly as I had expected although the result seemed about right.  Thought we rode our luck early and Utd came close a few times and should have been up by more at HT. It was disappointing to lose a goal early and like most of us, I feared the worst, especially since they were pressing and creating.  But as the half went on we seemed to settle a bit more, despite losing McMaster and we limited their chances for sure.  At times  we passed the ball well but their quality shone through at several points and they looked dangerous when we were caught out in midfield.  McStavrick looks a real find and he was constantly involved and looks exactly like the type of player Rhys would shine to.  Tons of energy, looks like he could play 2 games back to back no problem.  Dycey was solid too and I’m glad he was on the park today, much needed at the back. Our chances seemed few and far between so was disappointed that Todorov came on with just 5 mins left in the ninety.  Ultimately, he was involved in very little attacking play and would have preferred to see him in with 20/25 to go.  Josh playing up towards the half way line was always going to present Dundee with some sort of half chance and the boy took his goal well, but at that point the game was finished anyway and I’m glad he was showing a willingness to try and get the ball up.  All the new players gave a good account of themselves and that’s great experience before our next league game in a couple of weeks.  No points gained - expected.  McMaster injured? - would weaken the side if so.  Decent 90 mins given Friz and Dean weren’t part of it. Will be interesting to see what United fans made of it 

Pretty happy with that all in. It was always going to be a tough ask to go to (arguably) the best team in the league without Frizzell, McCabe, Telfer and Watson and losing McMaster so early meant it was probably a step too far. Dundee United came close quite a few times but I thought it was a pretty even game overall. 

I mentioned it on the match thread but I don’t think that first goal happens with McMaster on the pitch. We were a mess in midfield in the build-up to it, leaving big gaps for United to play through. Hopefully he’s back fit for Arbroath. 

McStravick looked very exciting. He lost the ball on a few occasions but he’s always looking to turn and get forward, really excited to see his development under McCabe. The game passed Gavin Gallagher by a bit but given he was chucked into a very tough game I think that’s fine. Aiken was the best midfielder on the park. For all the chat about squad depth, every team in the league would struggle if they were down to their 7th choice midfielder.

As @Kenny_m mentions, McGill struggled today. You can never fault his effort but I actually thought that led to him getting in the way a few times today. 

I know lots were clamouring for Todorov but I felt we lost our way when he came on. Big lumps up the park are ideal for Holt and Gallagher, our best attacking moves came from Calum Gallagher dropping deep and moving the ball out wide, or that spell of over a minute of patient build-up which Declan Gallagher cleared off the line.

Lots more positives than negatives. 

Wasn’t expecting a result today so not disappointed but I’d say we were good enough to have earned a draw. A fairly even match with not too many clear cut chances for either team.

Really exciting debut from McStravick. Looks a very tidy player and I’m looking forward to seeing more of him. Assume he’ll keep a place in the team so I expect he’ll either be out wide next time or Frizz will be a bit deeper.

13 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Jim Goodwin's acting as McCabe's agent in his post match interview! 🤫

Comments like that from a manager like him will attract attention.. Rhys has been mentioned earlier in the week when the Hibs job was discussed on the radio and I’m willing to bet he’ll be linked with just about any job in the top half of the Championship or bottom half of the Premiership when they open up.   

Not too disappointed at all after that. Would have to agree with the majority of comments already posted. Really sloppy start and a soft goal to lose. Feared the worst after that, especially with McMaster going off. But once we settled down I thought we competed well and made the game a genuine contest. Had plenty of the ball and some control of the game in the second-half, which was presumably why Goodwin completely lost the rag at one point 😂 But we just lacked a cutting edge today. Probably worth mentioning within that that I thought Declan Gallagher strolled it at the back today. We won’t come up against as many centre-halves as solid as him in this league. 

I continue to be mightily impressed with our young midfield. McStravick looks like a really lovely footballer. Some really class touches today and I’m excited to see more of him. I’d have kept him on the park rather than subbed him off. I thought GavGal did an okay job in the holding midfield role. Kept it simple and kept things ticking over fine. Not an easy place or game in which to make your debut but he showed enough IMO to illustrate he’s worth a place in the squad. And like @Kenny_m I thought Aiken was superb once again. Hopefully Hibs’ impending relegation will see them have a bit of a fire sale and we can take him off their hands 😉 

Obviously always disappointing to not take anything from a game but I thought we have a good account of ourselves against the favourites for the league, and we’ve more positives than negatives to take from the day. 

Agree that it’s frustrating not to be a wee bit clearer of the bottom of the table. But if we can continue taking care of our own results and beating/taking points off the teams around us I think/hope we’ll be fine. Arbroath is a big one in that regard in a couple of weeks. 

Hopefully the cup game next week will be a chance for the injured players to recover in time for Gayfield.