Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

24 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Comments like that from a manager like him will attract attention.. Rhys has been mentioned earlier in the week when the Hibs job was discussed on the radio and I’m willing to bet he’ll be linked with just about any job in the top half of the Championship or bottom half of the Premiership when they open up.   

It’ll be interesting to see what McCabe’s next job is. He’s a very level-headed guy and I’m sure he’ll appreciate he’s got a very good thing at Airdrie where he can play and has a board who fully back him and will give him as much time as he wants. He doesn’t need to rush into anything, so fine for him to wait for the Barcelona job in a few years when he’s taken us to the Champions League.

I think what today shows you is how important the tactics and style of play are that Rhys has embedded into the team. To go away from home to Dundee Utd missing 3 midfielders, then have our 4th and arguably one of the best go off injured after 5 mins and Still be able to play our way and control large parts of the game speaks volumes. Not to mention starting debutants today McStravick and Hancock, followed by another in Gav Gallagher off the bench. 

Not the result we hoped for but so much to be encouraged by for the season ahead. 

I get a feeling that McStravick and Frizz playing together could be extremely exciting to watch. 

@airdrieman I think mentioned McStravick maybe playing out wide next week but pretty certain he's a central player so would prefer seeing him in there if that's where we are going to get the best out of him. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I think what today shows you is how important the tactics and style of play are that Rhys has embedded into the team. To go away from home to Dundee Utd missing 3 midfielders, then have our 4th and arguably one of the best go off injured after 5 mins and Still be able to play our way and control large parts of the game speaks volumes. Not to mention starting debutants today McStravick and Hancock, followed by another in Gav Gallagher off the bench. 

Not the result we hoped for but so much to be encouraged by for the season ahead. 

I get a feeling that McStravick and Frizz playing together could be extremely exciting to watch. 

@airdrieman I think mentioned McStravick maybe playing out wide next week but pretty certain he's a central player so would prefer seeing him in there if that's where we are going to get the best out of him. 

Liam is naturally a winger but McCabe is wanting to play him through the middle does that then mean Frizz takes a step back and play the box to box role 

12 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Liam is naturally a winger but McCabe is wanting to play him through the middle does that then mean Frizz takes a step back and play the box to box role 

Probably McMaster/McCabe holding and Frizzell and McStravick both being given licence to find pockets of space. I think that’s where Frizzell is at his best anyway, much better driving from deep than starting high up the pitch. Either way, they’ll do well to displace Aiken who continues to impress.

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yeah, in a weird way I felt today validated McCabe’s style of play, despite the result. As you say, to go there given the absences and dominate possession shows real faith in the squad we have. We did struggle to create clear chances but our best moments came from things McCabe clearly works on a lot. I mentioned it earlier but I felt we lost our way a bit when Todorov came on and we changed style. There’s a long way to go but I think every league game, and most of the cup games, have had more positives than negatives.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

It’ll be interesting to see what McCabe’s next job is. He’s a very level-headed guy and I’m sure he’ll appreciate he’s got a very good thing at Airdrie where he can play and has a board who fully back him and will give him as much time as he wants. He doesn’t need to rush into anything, so fine for him to wait for the Barcelona job in a few years when he’s taken us to the Champions League.

Any move basically means retiring from playing, not only for him but also Fordyce assuming he went with him. That's a massive call to make aged 31/32 when you're still able to hold your own in the Championship, particularly Fordyce if you're retiring to become an assistant manager. It's a hard balance between learning your trade for a few years but also realising that management is a very fickle business and you often need to strike while your reputation is high because one poor run of form or relegation and the moment could pass. I don't think that will happen with him but you'd have to factor it in.

2 league wins out of 4 doesn't turn Rhys into Pep FFS! He'll not be going anywhere soon, no matter how well he talks or how good he looks. As far as the team goes, I've a feeling we're just going to get better and better throughout the season. I wouldn't be surprised if we replicate last season by finishing in the play off slots. 

5 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

2 league wins out of 4 doesn't turn Rhys into Pep FFS! He'll not be going anywhere soon, no matter how well he talks or how good he looks. As far as the team goes, I've a feeling we're just going to get better and better throughout the season. I wouldn't be surprised if we replicate last season by finishing in the play off slots. 

No, but Ian Murray got a move for achieving less. It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that a club not much higher up than ourselves looks to take him and asks him the question.

The addition of McStravick definitely seems to give us plenty of options in midfield when everyone is fit. Three starting places between McCabe, McMaster, Frizzell, McStravick, Telfer, Aiken is good cover, and that’s obviously not including Gavin Gallagher or Dunlop who will probably feature more sporadically. Defensive cover is reasonably fine too. You’d expect the defenders to play the full 90 without much issue and wouldn’t want to rotate that area as much, and between the 5 we have plus the option of McCabe dropping to centre back I don’t expect many issues in that area. I think if we’re adding another player on a free or before the loan window closes it should be at the other end. Gallagher will start most games and that’s fine, with Todorov an option off the bench. McGill will have games like today where he doesn’t do that much, but we know he can be very good when he gets going. Both McGregor and O’Connor are still very raw with their pace being their main attribute. I think both are better suited to coming off the bench to make an impact but at the moment we’re quite reliant on starting at least one of them. I’d like to see us try to bring in someone who can play that wide forward role.

And before anyone says anything, yes I’m well aware that McGregor played a massive part in both goals against Inverness last week and has had a few decent games so far this season, but he’s still very obviously a downgrade on Smith.

54 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The addition of McStravick definitely seems to give us plenty of options in midfield when everyone is fit. Three starting places between McCabe, McMaster, Frizzell, McStravick, Telfer, Aiken is good cover, and that’s obviously not including Gavin Gallagher or Dunlop who will probably feature more sporadically. Defensive cover is reasonably fine too. You’d expect the defenders to play the full 90 without much issue and wouldn’t want to rotate that area as much, and between the 5 we have plus the option of McCabe dropping to centre back I don’t expect many issues in that area. I think if we’re adding another player on a free or before the loan window closes it should be at the other end. Gallagher will start most games and that’s fine, with Todorov an option off the bench. McGill will have games like today where he doesn’t do that much, but we know he can be very good when he gets going. Both McGregor and O’Connor are still very raw with their pace being their main attribute. I think both are better suited to coming off the bench to make an impact but at the moment we’re quite reliant on starting at least one of them. I’d like to see us try to bring in someone who can play that wide forward role.

And before anyone says anything, yes I’m well aware that McGregor played a massive part in both goals against Inverness last week and has had a few decent games so far this season, but he’s still very obviously a downgrade on Smith.

Good points,   McStravick does look good, but mostly in recycled possession, would like to see him in an attacking formation, personally I would play the magic boy in McGills position,  McGill is not at the races, he was technically poor a league below and his deficiencies are being showed up in this league,  to me Todorov offers so much more than a ten minute cameo, would like to see him start,  goals or lack of them could be an issue, basically due to better opposition and our change of style...

We have another reserve game coming up,  if I was Dunlop, Todorov, McGill I would be knocking on Rhys door to get some more minutes into the legs and try and get some confidence,  sending the under 19s out against experienced sides , is just cannon fodder , and shows no purpose, hopefully Rhys has learned from that..

7 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

This is the irony of us being short of midfielders at the moment, it's by far and away our strongest area of the pitch in terms of squad depth, we have 3 genuinely good back-up players in there, yet that's the area we're struggling for players. If we'd had 4 players unavailable in the defence rather than midfield then a couple of us would probably have had to dust our boots off yesterday.. It's a testament to the quality of the squad in that position that we were still very competitive yesterday.

It doesn't sound like any of the injuries will be long term, so I'm actually really excited about the options we have in there once everyone is available.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

It's he really that much of a downgrade on Smith though?

I know we all shouted from the rooftops about his workrate but from what I was told, in terms of stats I don't believe it was that exceptional. There were many games where he flattered to deceive in an attacking sense but we gave him a free pass because of his tracking back.

McGregor has also shown a willingness to do the tracking back and if he continues to develop as he has so far then with the same number of 1st team games under his belt may well turn out to be an improvement on Smith.

10 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Three starting places between McCabe, McMaster, Frizzell, McStravick, Telfer, Aiken is good cover

Interesting as McCabe himself said that him and McMaster play the same position and I'm not sure how our midfield with our current set up could accommodate Frizz & Magic. Telfer can fill a couple of roles though but the by far our best ball winner is Murray Aiken and because of that he's got to start.

What’s people thinking for Saturday about lineup wise 

Rae

Ballantyne Fordyce Hancock Fellows

Mccabe

Frizz          Gavin

Oconnor.                             McStravick

Todorov

1 minute ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

What’s people thinking for Saturday about lineup wise 

Rae

Ballantyne Fordyce Hancock Fellows

Mccabe

Frizz          Gavin

Oconnor.                             McStravick

Todorov

You spelt Calum Gallagher wrong.

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

Honestly would rather no first team players involved on Saturday, couldn’t care less about this cup

Same, it's actually come at a good time as it gives us 2 weeks to get McCabe, McMaster and Telfer back. Also a chance for McGill to get more minutes as he looks short of sharpness just now. And for McStravick to get more familiar with how we play. Todorov could also do with a game too.

I think McCabe will use it as a game to get as many guys back and up to speed as possible, if we win then fine but I doubt he'll be fussed, I'm certainly not.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Something like - 

Rae 
Watson Fordyce Hancock Fellows 
                           GavGal
                McStravick Telfer (if fit)
   McGill             Todorov      Dunlop 

would do me. Lets a couple of fringe players play and some others increase their match fitness/sharpness. I’d let the likes of Cassidy, Spalding and Kavanagh feature too assuming we put the game to bed early enough. I’d swap out Rae for Hutton but I assume he can’t/won’t play anymore and I’m not sure how au fait he’d be with our current style of play anyway 😂 And I wouldn’t rush Telfer back if he’s not fit yet. Hopefully this week is a good opportunity for the injured players to recover in time for Gayfield. 

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Same, it's actually come at a good time as it gives us 2 weeks to get McCabe, McMaster and Telfer back. Also a chance for McGill to get more minutes as he looks short of sharpness just now. And for McStravick to get more familiar with how we play. Todorov could also do with a game too.

I think McCabe will use it as a game to get as many guys back and up to speed as possible, if we win then fine but I doubt he'll be fussed, I'm certainly not.

I certainly want to win ,no fussed about a cup ,we are certainly not to big to give this cup respect ,