Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah tbf to suggest young prunty is only here because of his dad is out of order imo

Think he will find it harder with his dad being here ,plus was there not another  10 on the park in that defeat .If he can show a  bit of his dad he will be fine ,

14 hours ago, CHEMOMAN said:

As a rule of thumb, before you post, you should think "Would my comments get me a smack in the chops if I was saying this face to face?" BTW, I'd be very interested to know how many games you've seen the young Prunts play to back up your "Really promising" tag or are you just "ITK"? 😉 

Not that everyone has the same moral compass and obviously violence is a natural response to anything and everything for certain folk, but by all means point to the part of that sentence that is "smack in the chops" worthy? 

Edited by cb_diamond

27 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

1 down ,think we need a defence 

Yeah I said it after the Bonnyrigg game but I really don’t think a back three suits us. We look very stodgy and congested in the middle going forward, always seem to have an unnecessary spare man at the back and lack having guys in the full-back areas going forward and defensively. 

Still, once again it’s a good laugh having a manager who scores all the set-pieces. A ridiculously good goal. 

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I have a feeling there may be a managerial change in our league soon - Billy Dodds is having a terrible time at Inverness. Hopefully whoever replaces him is equally as hopeless because I’d feel a lot more comfortable with a poor team sitting well adrift at the bottom.

Ayr and Inverness seem the main contenders but I hope that Bullen and Dodds both, rightly or wrongly, still have a lot of credit in the bank. While the fans have never seemed convinced by either, both have done more than enough to keep their boards happy until now.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Ayr and Inverness seem the main contenders but I hope that Bullen and Dodds both, rightly or wrongly, still have a lot of credit in the bank. While the fans have never seemed convinced by either, both have done more than enough to keep their boards happy until now.

Tough for skint Inverness to ditch Dodds as they've just given him a new 2 year contract. I wouldn't have thought this is a likely destination.

21 hours ago, Mr November said:

I got a text saying “See your ex player get a call up for Ireland” and burst out laughing knowing exactly who it would be. He was world class in that Montrose game. Just seeing his name puts a smile on my face thinking of the chaos he caused that day. Some boy.

20 hours ago, Passionate said:

I know madness that day , only a week before he played against Peterhead and never tried a leg all game,   thinking back to that game, you were just glad you were there....

Listening to Rhys interview talking about McStravick he was saying he tried to sign him last season,  could he be replacement for Dylan Easton that Rhys was looking for ( early days)

I’m sure at half-time of that Peterhead game I posted on here something along the lines of ‘Dean Ritchie is playing and Afolabi is still the worst player on the park.’ How times change! Delighted for him. Regardless of the standard or what level it’s comparable to, he’s clearly making the most of his time at Bohemians. Think he’s still in the midst of breaking their record for scoring in consecutive games which is no mean feat. He’d have probably managed to get a half decent move off the back of his current form, and the fact he’s been on the books at a couple of big clubs, but this call-up should see him land a good move for himself. 

That Montrose game is up there amongst my all-time favourite Airdrie games and must be for any fan who was there. And his sub appearance was a major part of that. One of the most chaotic good, dominant, funny, skilful and outrageous I’ve ever seen. Still not sure how he managed to get that ball out from the corner and down the goal line for the winner! Incredible scenes and not to mention he won the penalty and free-kick for our two goals in the final also. Can’t wait to see him body van Dijk like he did Sean Dillon that day. 

Given all the changes and "resting "our best back four it was good to avoid the banana skin, especially after that poor defensive attempt at the opening goal. We also appeared to have much position switching during the game which did not suit McGill and Todorov rarely does what Cal Gal does. Inclined to be slow in build ups and reluctant to just shoot meant a wee bit of butt clenching in the stand. 

Great free kick by Rhys and I don't think he's scored in open play but it was delightful. Good to see O'Connor score and overall we are in the draw for maybe a good match.

Thought the Uni guys were steady and quite old fashioned both in jersey numbers and a very assured playing style. Certainly their number 14 got them back into the game but maybe we have them too much time to build attacks. 

And the M80 at Auchengills took me back to the old days !

42 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Given all the changes and "resting "our best back four it was good to avoid the banana skin, especially after that poor defensive attempt at the opening goal. We also appeared to have much position switching during the game which did not suit McGill and Todorov rarely does what Cal Gal does. Inclined to be slow in build ups and reluctant to just shoot meant a wee bit of butt clenching in the stand. 

Great free kick by Rhys and I don't think he's scored in open play but it was delightful. Good to see O'Connor score and overall we are in the draw for maybe a good match.

Thought the Uni guys were steady and quite old fashioned both in jersey numbers and a very assured playing style. Certainly their number 14 got them back into the game but maybe we have them too much time to build attacks. 

And the M80 at Auchengills took me back to the old days !

It was a game especially first half, where we just seemed to pass for passing sake,  when we could eventually get Frizz pm the ball  things seemed to open up,  Todorov on another day could have had a hat trick,  Gabby yet again struggled throughout his confidence seems shot,  a place on the bench maybe next week,  quietly impressed with O Connor today....

Quite a lot of frustration amongst the natives in the first half when the univ went in front,  Cassidy and Gallagher I thought struggled against that level of player which is worrying when they are our backups,  Best for Airdrie were Frizz, Todorov (at a push) and Hancock stuck to his job well with very little cover.  Murray Aiken is normally a stick on, but he had one of those days.

A wins a win for awe that,   and yes the M80 the gift that keeps on giving..

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

It was a game especially first half, where we just seemed to pass for passing sake,  when we could eventually get Frizz pm the ball  things seemed to open up,  Todorov on another day could have had a hat trick,  Gabby yet again struggled throughout his confidence seems shot,  a place on the bench maybe next week,  quietly impressed with O Connor today....

Quite a lot of frustration amongst the natives in the first half when the univ went in front,  Cassidy and Gallagher I thought struggled against that level of player which is worrying when they are our backups,  Best for Airdrie were Frizz, Todorov (at a push) and Hancock stuck to his job well with very little cover.  Murray Aiken is normally a stick on, but he had one of those days.

A wins a win for awe that,   and yes the M80 the gift that keeps on giving..

On this, I might have misinterpreted it but I thought the sarcastic cheering when Hancock eventually played a forward pass was embarrassing. No need for it.

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I said it after the Bonnyrigg game but I really don’t think a back three suits us. We look very stodgy and congested in the middle going forward, always seem to have an unnecessary spare man at the back and lack having guys in the full-back areas going forward and defensively. 

Still, once again it’s a good laugh having a manager who scores all the set-pieces. A ridiculously good goal. 

Exactly this. We've played it a handful of times under McCabe and we always look stodgy, slow and is if we are going nowhere. I've said before I hate it, for me it's a system you play against superior opposition when you'll have little of the ball, which is the opposite of what we generally need.

I'm hoping today it was used to rest the back 4 and not have to shoehorn guys into full-back positions. A win today and guys getting a run-out so no harm done, but I really hope it's not McCabe trying stuff out for later in the season.

12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

On this, I might have misinterpreted it but I thought the sarcastic cheering when Hancock eventually played a forward pass was embarrassing. No need for it.

Yes that seemed to be the player,  I like the Hancock seems to have a bit about him,  there was a lot of over passing at that time, but was that due to lack of movement in midfield,  you have to be careful with your passing with no full back cover,   agree. No need for it