Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

On this, I might have misinterpreted it but I thought the sarcastic cheering when Hancock eventually played a forward pass was embarrassing. No need for it.

There was one absolute cretin a few rows behind me who gave Hancock pelters for the majority of the first half. I was surprised as it seemed to spread through a bit more of the support as the half wore on, culminating in the sarcastic cheering you mention. Bang out of order.

12 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Embarrassing the abuse Hancock took in the first half from certain members of our support.  Putting the game into context, totally out of order.

I didn’t hear any of this where I was sitting. But seems a bit shite considering we were trying a new formation and giving a lot of players minutes. Didn’t quite play out like our games normally do but he was good against Dundee Utd once he settled into the match and I think that’s a better benchmark - and that’s with zero disrespect to Stirling Uni. I said to a few people beforehand that they would be no walkover and they weren’t. People maybe thought we’d steamroller them and took that out on certain players when it didn’t happen. 

6 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I didn’t hear any of this where I was sitting. But seems a bit shite considering we were trying a new formation and giving a lot of players minutes. Didn’t quite play out like our games normally do but he was good against Dundee Utd once he settled into the match and I think that’s a better benchmark - and that’s with zero disrespect to Stirling Uni. I said to a few people beforehand that they would be no walkover and they weren’t. People maybe thought we’d steamroller them and took that out on certain players when it didn’t happen. 

Yes, it was all around me 1st half. From what I could hear it wasn’t so much directed at him personally, but the fact he wouldn’t pass wide to McMagic and kept going inside. Sometimes he was better going back inside but others, wife was the way to go. But once you notice it, it’s hard to distinguish when it’s right and when it’s wrong I guess.

FWIW, I thought he was a lot better 1St half than 2nd.

Looking at previous seasons in this division you need about 40 points to stay up in 8th place (maybe even a few more in a more tightly contested division), so that's 10 points every 9 games. 6 from 4 games isn't bad, but surely we have to be looking at Saturday as a key fixture for picking up some of those points.

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, G_H said:

Looking at previous seasons in this division you need about 40 points to stay up in 8th place (maybe even a few more in a more tightly contested division), so that's 10 points every 9 games. 6 from 4 games isn't bad, but surely we have to be looking at Saturday as a key fixture for picking up some of those points.

It's normally a pretty tight league sometimes from 8th to 4 th can be just a handful of points,   we go into Saturday at Arbroath (21 quid to stand behind the goal)  it's not a must win,  but it is a game where a draw would suit as Arbroath are expected to be " down there" as well.....  looking at squad numbers, I cannot see us signing anybody else,  although it is questionable about the quality of some of our bench warmers...

2 hours ago, G_H said:

Absolutely - it’s the points against the teams you’d likely expect to be in the bottom half that will decide staying in this league. As many at home as you can and would be happy with a point up at arbroath. Best to take it just one game at a time as it’s going to be an up down season ahead. 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

It's normally a pretty tight league sometimes from 8th to 4 th can be just a handful of points,   we go into Saturday at Arbroath (21 quid to stand behind the goal)  it's not a must win,  but it is a game where a draw would suit as Arbroath are expected to be " down there" as well.....  looking at squad numbers, I cannot see us signing anybody else,  although it is questionable about the quality of some of our bench warmers...

I disagree. Whilst it won’t make it break our season, we need to be targeting maximum points against teams like Arbroath who are forecast to be down the bottom with us. 

Given our several heavy defeats in the last few years at Arbroath I'm still looking forward to a good match and if we have our best starters available I'm predicting a score draw. What our best starting side is,  at least we have some choices but I'm skipping that and will leave it to Rhys.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

Arbroath will be boyant after such a convincing win over ICT. I'm sure they won't expect such an easy game though as they got on Saturday. ICT were truly awful and got exactly what they deserved. I was delighted to see the pitch in great condition however and it should benefit our style of play if we keep the ball on the ground.

This for me, like others have said, is a crucial match. Despite their recent form Arbroath will be fighting it out at the bottom in my opinion.

12 hours ago, ??? said:

folk are getting ahead of themselves cos of the good start. fine to be optimistic, but a long season and plenty ups and downs ahead. 

Absolutely, it's fine to be optimistic as we've had a promising start but the real test will come when we hit a sticky spell and how we react.

ICT are on theirs at the moment and are away at Raith on Saturday, but they seem in turmoil, no money, talk of part time football and calling for the Manager's head who was rewarded with a new 2 year contract after steering them to a Scottish Cup final a few months ago.

Oh how quickly things change in football!

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

I disagree. Whilst it won’t make it break our season, we need to be targeting maximum points against teams like Arbroath who are forecast to be down the bottom with us. 

Tough ask for us, or virtually any other side in this league to take maximum points from another.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

We won 1 out of 8 games against Cove and Hamilton last season 

Won 1, drew 2 and lost 1 against the league champions 

No point getting into it - very rarely works out as simple as that 

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We won 1 out of 8 games against Cove and Hamilton last season 

Won 1, drew 2 and lost 1 against the league champions 

No point getting into it - very rarely works out as simple as that 

The windy weather can and will play a  big part of this game ,so lets hope for a nice calm day .