Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Another big defeat this afternoon for reserves at Killie, not sure if we are getting much out of this. Oh and no Gavin Gallagher in squad.

Don't see why the results matter, it's there to give senior players minutes if needed and ensure guys like Dunlop, Cassidy, G Gallagher are still playing some games. We'll probably find at certain points in the season it will seem pretty useless, but at other times it will be essential if we have a few players coming back from injury and needing games.

I'd assume there's also a longer term plan and the next couple of seasons are just about reestablishing it and we'll take a few tankings in the meantime. Like I say though, why anyone would actually care about reserve scorelines is a mystery to me.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don't see why the results matter, it's there to give senior players minutes if needed and ensure guys like Dunlop, Cassidy, G Gallagher are still playing some games. We'll probably find at certain points in the season it will seem pretty useless, but at other times it will be essential if we have a few players coming back from injury and needing games.

I'd assume there's also a longer term plan and the next couple of seasons are just about reestablishing it and we'll take a few tankings in the meantime. Like I say though, why anyone would actually care about reserve scorelines is a mystery to me.

Results don't really matter, but individual performances and improvement do,  but if you are being set up to be cannon fodder against Premier League reserves there isn't much point is there,   I thought the whole idea was to get injured players minutes, it did against Dundee with Telfer and Watson playing,    We are carrying a decent sized squad,  I don't understand how Todorov, McStravick, Megwa are not topping up their fitness or trying to get some confidence in front of goal in these games,    It's all about progression for young players to try and earn a first team shot,  looks like a costly exercise is it worth it 

On 02/10/2023 at 20:04, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Apologies, I'd only heard he was sent off for a bit of colourful language, called someone a "m*ngo" and that's what he was sent off for. I have absolutely no idea if that's got anything to do with him not being seen btw so I can't comment on that. In actual fact, I hadn't even noticed he was missing tbh. 

I hope the club deal with this in the strongest possible fashion,  if the alleged remark was made and was the reason for his red card,  a couple of quid fine from the players night out fund is not enough punishment, and the player should not be 'rewarded' with involvement in the first team ,  that should b unacceptable conduct and the player should be subject to internal club discipline process....

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I hope the club deal with this in the strongest possible fashion,  if the alleged remark was made and was the reason for his red card,  a couple of quid fine from the players night out fund is not enough punishment, and the player should not be 'rewarded' with involvement in the first team ,  that should b unacceptable conduct and the player should be subject to internal club discipline process....

Keep him in reserves where results don't seem to matter ,or get rid .

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Listen, can I just go on record by saying, I have absolutely no idea how true it is, or if it did or didn't happen btw. Someone else commented about him getting sent off and an additional story, and I've just put 2 and 2 together here.

15 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Call me old fashioned but football’s all about winning, there’s not much gained getting tankings. That apart i would rather the cost of running a reserve side was channeled to the first team, at least until we’ve consolidated as a championship club.

Edited by Kenny_m

37 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Call me old fashioned but football’s all about winning, there’s not much gained getting rankings. That apart i would rather the cost of running a reserve side was channeled to the first team, at least until we’ve consolidated as a championship club.

Must be old fashioned as well I certainly agree with that.

12 hours ago, Mr November said:

I can’t say I’m too bothered what their results are but I’d imagine the reserves at least learn more from playing against a better team, including a few older players, than they did beating teams 13-0 last season.

Yeh agree that their was nothing gained from that last season either. The standard must have been really poor and no one from the academy is anywhere near the 1st team. We have a senior squad of 21 which does not include Fellowes, Kavanagh or Cassidy.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Call me old fashioned but football’s all about winning, there’s not much gained getting rankings. That apart i would rather the cost of running a reserve side was channeled to the first team, at least until we’ve consolidated as a championship club.

That's the point though, I presume the point of the reserves is to help the 1st team - by giving minutes when needed to senior players and by getting younger players more experience at a higher level than development football and beating Elgin 13-0 or whatever.

If you're going to view reserve football as a competition in it's own right and something that you are desperate to win in then obviously it's a waste of money, becausethe 1st team is what matters. I see it as a means to an end, that being having a squad who are all ready to play for the 1st team if needed. If a club really wanted to win the reserve league they'd just play their 1st team, but they don't because they realise the point of a reserve team is to prepare players for 1st team football, not to win it.

We are probably at an inbetween point where the club are gradually building up the squad size, but it's probably not big enough yet that we're going to need it for more than 2 or 3 players to get fitness. I'd hope that if we become established in the Championship and we can create a geniune pathway from youths into the 1st team then in a couple of years our reserves will be a real mix of talented youngsters and experienced pros which will bring on the youngsters and provide games for those that need it. It will take a bit of time to build up to that though so in the meantime we'll probably get beaten most weeks and any benefits will be marginal.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Listen, can I just go on record by saying, I have absolutely no idea how true it is, or if it did or didn't happen btw. Someone else commented about him getting sent off and an additional story, and I've just put 2 and 2 together here.

It did happen. The club have dealt with the matter internally and he served his automatic suspension in respect of the red card, although it may be the case that a disciplinary committee at Hampden look further into the nature of the offence due to the language used. 

From what I gather the laddie was absolutely distraught immediately after the match for what was a throwaway comment which he accepts was entirely inappropriate and has put his hands up and apologised. He's a young boy and while there is no place for language such as that used I don't see any need to hang him out to dry for it. Some of us courtesy of education and upbringing know the sort of language that should never be used, while others perhaps need a bit of help to understand that. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case here but let's not jump to the stage of offering the boy up as some kind of sacrificial lamb given we don't really know him. Hopefully he's learned from this.

34 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

It did happen. The club have dealt with the matter internally and he served his automatic suspension in respect of the red card, although it may be the case that a disciplinary committee at Hampden look further into the nature of the offence due to the language used. 

From what I gather the laddie was absolutely distraught immediately after the match for what was a throwaway comment which he accepts was entirely inappropriate and has put his hands up and apologised. He's a young boy and while there is no place for language such as that used I don't see any need to hang him out to dry for it. Some of us courtesy of education and upbringing know the sort of language that should never be used, while others perhaps need a bit of help to understand that. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case here but let's not jump to the stage of offering the boy up as some kind of sacrificial lamb given we don't really know him. Hopefully he's learned from this.

Yeah I think to suggest his contract should be terminated over this is wild. He’s a young boy that made a mistake. He’ll be under no illusions now that it’s not acceptable and he’ll learn from it.

Just now, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah I think to suggest his contract should be terminated over this is wild. He’s a young boy that made a mistake. He’ll be under no illusions now that it’s not acceptable and he’ll learn from it.

Agree here, who among us hasn't had something happen in our teen years that we now look back on with absolute embarrassment. Yes, he should absolutely be punished. But if that has happened and it's proportional and he can learn from it, then it has served its purpose.

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Another unfortunate situation,  There is no excuse for ' ignorance' , I am sure he is full of remorse blah blah blah,   Mud sticks rightly or wrongly in Football,   glad the club have dealt with it Internally and I wouldn't be surprised if a lengthy ban ensues,  a Kilsyth Rangers player received a 10 game ban for using the same 'despicable' language against an opponent recently,  different leagues and level I know....

What really sticks in my throat is 4 days after his act of cowardice in the 7 nil reserve dribbling by Livingston,  he was promoted to first team duty for the game against Dundee United..   That is setting the wrong tone,  surely....