Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Fantastic achievement and opportunity for both of them. It’s only one squad but anything that can enhance the club’s reputation for developing players and proving them a platform to move up the way, can only be a good thing in terms of attracting players and suitors for said players 😉 

Who was our last youth international? Tony Watt? Assuming they all play ATS, McStravick, Devenny and Clarke is quite the collection of international caps* for the one season. 

I know they’re not full internationals (apart from ATS) but you know what I mean*. 

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Fantastic achievement and opportunity for both of them. It’s only one squad but anything that can enhance the club’s reputation for developing players and proving them a platform to move up the way, can only be a good thing in terms of attracting players and suitors for said players 😉 

Who was our last youth international? Tony Watt? Assuming they all play ATS, McStravick, Devenny and Clarke is quite the collection of international caps* for the one season. 

I know they’re not full internationals (apart from ATS) but you know what I mean*. 

Not sure if Tony Watt was capped at 21 level with is,  the last one before him  was Paul Bonar I think that's going back to around 96.   

Good to see Corrie Fellows get a move to Albion Rovers and hopefully he gets regular game time. Think having Albion Rovers so local to us, now a few leagues below us, and with an Airdrie man in charge there’s a great opportunity to create a mutually beneficial relationship where we can loan them guys like Corrie to help them develop and still have them train with us when the Rovers aren’t training since they’re part time.

30 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Weirdly don’t even feel that annoyed about today. When even frizzell can barely play a 5 yard pass you just need to take it on the chin and focus on the next one.

Yeah that’s where I’m at too. A poor performance all round but equally 12 points after four games is a decent start, just need to put today behind us and build on it in the next few games. 

Hopefully Ballantyne is back quickly. It’s perhaps difficult coming into a game so early but I thought Megwa really struggled today, both defensively and going forward. Hopefully he improves with time. He reminded me a bit of Euan Deveney in that he’d continually stand in space on the touchline but never call for the ball, and even when players spotted him they rarely trusted him enough to pass the ball to him.

I think we need to figure out a way to involve Todorov a bit more. I’ve not been hugely impressed with him so far but I also don’t think he’s a big target man like many seem to think. He wins a decent enough amount in the air but I don’t think hold up play is his game, his real strength is attacking the ball in the box from crosses or set-pieces. I thought we were crying out for him coming on after Ayr’s second and playing wide and much more aggressively today, which McStravick was starting to get a bit of joy with.

Thought that was the the worst we’ve played this season other than Arbroath. A real lack of urgency killed us there. We’re at our best when we’re attacking teams quickly and playing with a bit of tempo. Our tempo wasn’t too bad to start with but after Ayr scored we barely played with any bar maybe a 10 minute spell before and after our goal. Ayr sat off us and shut off any space well but still thought they were very gettable.

Ballantyne going off unsettled us and we never really recovered from that. Megwa struggled and looked nervous when he first came on and was really poor at the goal in terms of giving the ball away and not stopping the cross. Only his debut so hopefully he’ll get better with time, some coaching and experience. But if Ballantyne stays on, who knows maybe we don’t concede that first goal and it ends up being a different game. 

Thought Hancock probably showed up best for us. McStravick too at least tried to give us a bit of impetus and go forward which we badly needed. He put in a couple of superb crosses just begging for a centre forward to get on the end of. Perfect for Todorov who again I thought should have been on earlier. 

Worst thing about this is having to face going to work in Ayr on Monday 😕

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Thought that was the the worst we’ve played this season other than Arbroath. A real lack of urgency killed us there. We’re at our best when we’re attacking teams quickly and playing with a bit of tempo. Our tempo wasn’t too bad to start with but after Ayr scored we barely played with any bar maybe a 10 minute spell before and after our goal. Ayr sat off us and shut off any space well but still thought they were very gettable.

Ballantyne going off unsettled us and we never really recovered from that. Megwa struggled and looked nervous when he first came on and was really poor at the goal in terms of giving the ball away and not stopping the cross. Only his debut so hopefully he’ll get better with time, some coaching and experience. But if Ballantyne stays on, who knows maybe we don’t concede that first goal and it ends up being a different game. 

Thought Hancock probably showed up best for us. McStravick too at least tried to give us a bit of impetus and go forward which we badly needed. He put in a couple of superb crosses just begging for a centre forward to get on the end of. Perfect for Todorov who again I thought should have been on earlier. 

Worst thing about this is having to face going to work in Ayr on Monday 😕

Pretty good assessment,  we always try to score the perfect goal, but on days like this, you have to earn the right to play, we didn't,   McGill yet again was I will be fair hopeless,  and has offered nothing all season.  Mcmaster who is the new housewives favourite offers nothing when we go a joal down, he doesn't have enough creativity, when he went off we began to get Telfer on the ball and advance and create a couple of 'chances' .   Ayr were up for the game from the first whistle and deserved the 3 points,   Todorov looked lively and a different option which we badly needed, but should have been brought on at least 20 mins earlier.

The players have a bit of credit in the bank, but not too much...

Agree with most of what's been said already, thought Hancock looked good, Megwa was pretty poor although got better, McStravick looked possitive. Really hope Ballantyne is back soon though as Megwa isnt the answer I dont think. Poor performance but still happy with the start overall, especially if we can get something from next Friday. The team clearly have a lot of credit in the bank with the fans as a display like that in the past and the passing around the back would have been torn apart by fans in previous seasons.

I wouldn't say that Gabby had a good game today but I would venure to say that it was more down to lack of service to him in my opinion. To say that he has been poor all season is again an over-reaction as far as I'm concerned. Cast your mind back to the wonderful link up play of his that led to Gal's goal against Raith.

I've never thought of Gabby as a wide player anyway, I believe that he performs at his best through the middle.

51 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

I wouldn't say that Gabby had a good game today but I would venure to say that it was more down to lack of service to him in my opinion. To say that he has been poor all season is again an over-reaction as far as I'm concerned. Cast your mind back to the wonderful link up play of his that led to Gal's goal against Raith.

I've never thought of Gabby as a wide player anyway, I believe that he performs at his best through the middle.

Gabby has been poor,  a cameo deflected goal against Partick and link up for the Raith goal admittedly, we are 8 games in now,  I agree our style of football this season doesn't suit him, he isn't technically good enough, that's what is catching him out,  you put McGill on as an attacking sub with 20 to go and you get a different player.....

McCabe when he plays gets more out of McGill as he plays the ball forward quicker into the channels,  we either want to be this wonderful side that scores the perfect goal,  or change it up a little playing more to players strengths.. That first half keep ball exercise between Watson ,Rae, Fordyce and Hancock was pointless and served no purpose,  we have the least amount of shots on target in the league,  you don't shoot, you don't score....

Two sides with different approaches to a match and once we'd missed a few chances, and they took the first one, it never looked as if we'd break them down. 

I agree about the passing about stuff throughout the game and like Dundee United they just said carry on guys.

I know there might have been a serious penalty claim but it was a disappointing day from most of our side. 

Yes 12 points is quite good and there's been good stuff so maybe it was just one of those days ?

Still physically challenged mind you.

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

Gabby has been poor,  a cameo deflected goal against Partick and link up for the Raith goal admittedly, we are 8 games in now,  I agree our style of football this season doesn't suit him, he isn't technically good enough, that's what is catching him out,  you put McGill on as an attacking sub with 20 to go and you get a different player.....

McCabe when he plays gets more out of McGill as he plays the ball forward quicker into the channels,  we either want to be this wonderful side that scores the perfect goal,  or change it up a little playing more to players strengths.. That first half keep ball exercise between Watson ,Rae, Fordyce and Hancock was pointless and served no purpose,  we have the least amount of shots on target in the league,  you don't shoot, you don't score....

This is going to be the challenge this season because that type of keeping the ball is what gave us the goal against Raith, and to a lesser extent Morton. However I don't see that as being a realistic way of scoring enough goals over a season. As you say it's not resulting in many efforts on goal so you're relying on scoring with your one opportunity and then not conceding.

The key to playing that way is scoring first. If we score first we can keep the ball all day and teams have to come out which creates more space. When it's 0-0 or we're losing teams are happy to sit and let us pass the ball about and hold their shape. Teams have already worked out how to play us, that doesn't mean they can all stop it but it means we'll face the same issues every week so will need more variety.

For me the biggest issue with the possession at the back is it kills any tempo in the game. I know the plan is draw the opposition out then suddenly pick up the speed, but if they are disciplined that doesn't happen. It was mentioned up the thread that we are at our best playing with energy and speed, but keeping possession at all costs takes that out our game.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The key to playing that way is scoring first. If we score first we can keep the ball all day and teams have to come out which creates more space. When it's 0-0 or we're losing teams are happy to sit and let us pass the ball about and hold their shape. Teams have already worked out how to play us, that doesn't mean they can all stop it but it means we'll face the same issues every week so will need more variety.

Yip spot on, Ayr started the game pressing us high, scored, then backed off.

If teams play deep against us at the moment we're reduced to sterile passing in central defence in the hope they'll do what they're set up NOT to do. Also this means no space for the likes of Gal to drop off and leave space as hes just adding to the congestion in the middle of the park. Need the wide players to threaten more which happened early on the left and later 2nd half on the right but that needs to be more potent. Thought both full backs at fault for Ayr 's first goal