Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Would also add looking at the list of clubs @diamond_for_lifementions does bring it home what a good position we are in right now. Seeing Clyde, a team not too far off the size of us at the bottom of league 2 without a ground is sobering, especially given the others who have dropped out already, especially Brechin who have been quite succesful over the last 20 years.

11 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Would also add looking at the list of clubs @diamond_for_lifementions does bring it home what a good position we are in right now. Seeing Clyde, a team not too far off the size of us at the bottom of league 2 without a ground is sobering, especially given the others who have dropped out already, especially Brechin who have been quite succesful over the last 20 years.

The last 10-15 years was very frustrating watching a similar club like Hamilton play Premier League and be a good Championship side while we struggled badly in League 1. However as you say the other side of that coin is that we could have easily done a Clyde, another similar sized club, who got relegated to League 2, bounced back up again briefly due to signing Goodwillie, and then got relegated again when he left. And now are on the brink of Lowland League. There were 2 or 3 years where we were very close to going down and may never have come back.

Football can change very quickly so who knows what will happen but we seem to be through the worst of it and have found a model that works for us. The fact that we have done well under Murray and McCabe gives me confidence that we aren't just benefiting from having a good manager, the club seems quite stable and when McCabe leaves hopefully it's easy enough for another manager to come in and continue things, just like McCabe did after Murray.

The last time I was at Stair Park was a 3-2 defeat I think (Dale Carrick's debut when he scored after 2 minutes I think). Going there now 2 league above them is a nice reminder of the progress we've made. Hopefully there are no slip-ups!

22 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The last time I was at Stair Park was a 3-2 defeat I think (Dale Carrick's debut when he scored after 2 minutes I think). Going there now 2 league above them is a nice reminder of the progress we've made. Hopefully there are no slip-ups!

As is looking through their squad. Discounting Scott Agnew former diamonds amongst them include Sean McIntosh, Scott Robertson, Grant Gallagher and Dean Hawkshaw all of whom played for us not that long ago, as recently as Murray's first season. Don't think any of them would get a game now! 

I've only been to Stair Park once. Won 3-1 and Taylor Morgan chipped the goalkeeper. Thankfully wasn't there in 2003. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

As is looking through their squad. Discounting Scott Agnew former diamonds amongst them include Sean McIntosh, Scott Robertson, Grant Gallagher and Dean Hawkshaw all of whom played for us not that long ago, as recently as Murray's first season. Don't think any of them would get a game now! 

I've only been to Stair Park once. Won 3-1 and Taylor Morgan chipped the goalkeeper. Thankfully wasn't there in 2003. 

Leighton McIntosh hat trick and Bollans last game as manager, are two of my experiences at Stranraer. The ex Diamonds will be interesting to see. I was at the 2003 game and it was a really annoying announcer,  and a long silent drive back, in those days on my own, with no one to debate .

Haven't seen a cup tie at this stage since I used to be away on a holiday. Hope we maintain our recent cup wins. 

14 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

We'll really need to be on our game if the reincarnation of Pirlo is playing.

Mind him and Rohan Ferguson were going to take over the world 😂😂

Didn't think McIntosh was bad at the time, steady enough. Miles better than guys like Boateng, Gorman, Daly and Schmidt who we had in at the time, some truly shocking footballers.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

To be fair to him, Rohan has played two matches in the Champions League this season… can’t be too many Airdrie youth products that can say that.

Comes back to the post a few pages back on how far we’ve come. We were relying on the likes of McIntosh & Ferguson and to keep us in League One, we were just about surviving. All change now.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

We'll really need to be on our game if the reincarnation of Pirlo is playing.

I remember it well Sean McIntosh was supposed to the second coming, well according to Spanish Armada anyway...

Rohan IMO cost us promotion that season Alloa beat us on pens...   All is eventually forgiven..

7 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Leighton McIntosh hat trick and Bollans last game as manager, are two of my experiences at Stranraer. The ex Diamonds will be interesting to see. I was at the 2003 game and it was a really annoying announcer,  and a long silent drive back, in those days on my own, with no one to debate .

Haven't seen a cup tie at this stage since I used to be away on a holiday. Hope we maintain our recent cup wins. 

Keigan Parker played on one of my trips to Stranraer ,

58 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Sean Mcintosh best career highlight was the last minute winner against the rovers where he punched the ball into the net for a 4-3 win 

In fairness to the lad he has plugged away and is playing at a decent level,  how many lads of his youth team at the time are still in the game., apart from Rohan and Cadden..    

Was that the game with the Russell "volley"

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Sean Mcintosh best career highlight was the last minute winner against the rovers where he punched the ball into the net for a 4-3 win 

Absolute scenes that day. Best part was the Rovers goalie Ross Stewart giving it stinking to the Airdrie fans behind the goal after they equalised in the dying minutes, only for Airdrie to get the winner a few minutes later 😂

Edited by GoalForAirdrie

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

In fairness to the lad he has plugged away and is playing at a decent level,  how many lads of his youth team at the time are still in the game., apart from Rohan and Cadden..    

Was that the game with the Russell "volley"

That special volley was the right game that team that day was mental 

Well with all November's games out of the way, our record in competitive matches so far this season is:

12 wins (14 if you count the NLC cup, which I don't)

3 draws

7 losses

Still in 2/3 cups after xmas, in the playoff places for the Premier League as it stands.

For a newly promoted side with easily the smallest budget in our current league that is magnificent stuff.

Great time to be a diamond.

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Dick Campbell steps down after today's game,

The end of an era! Should maybe have left on a high after getting them so close to the Premier League a couple of seasons ago. Struggling at the moment so might be the right call. That being said, who they replace him with will be a huge decision. Stuart Petrie seems the obvious best candidate. If I was an Arbroath fan, Stuart Malcolm being the only coach not to resign would be a cause for concern.