Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Easton was a joy to watch at Airdrie and I was genuinely worried at the start of the season about what he might do against us, but we've had him absolutely tied up in a sack and beaten with sticks every time we've played Raith.  I know they're off the boil a bit at the moment, but a team with Easton, Smith, Vaughan and now Turner and Rudden as well is a team with a lot of firepower in it, and they've managed one goal against us in four games.  We're the only team to have kept them out, and we've done it three times now.  Immense credit has to go to the whole back line for that.  At no stage in the last 180 minutes against Raith have I thought, "Hm, they've really got us on the ropes here, a goal's coming."

13 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Rhys McCabe, miles ahead of Ian Murray and as cool as f**k!

All about getting players to play together as a unit,Murray not a patch on McCabe,trainers really doing their job as players looked more hungry and fitter last night ,

It's amazing how confident I feel watching Airdrie defending a one goal lead these days.  For so many years watching that's been an utterly exruciating experience.  You felt we were a stick on to lose a goal from any corner, and so often they would panic and crumble under pressure, especially late on.  At the moment I'm not sure Airdrie will actually concede a goal ever again.

49 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It's amazing how confident I feel watching Airdrie defending a one goal lead these days.  For so many years watching that's been an utterly exruciating experience.  You felt we were a stick on to lose a goal from any corner, and so often they would panic and crumble under pressure, especially late on.  At the moment I'm not sure Airdrie will actually concede a goal ever again.

Jinxed it 😂

Delighted for Dycey to get player of the match as I love big, solid centre halves like Allan McManus, or for those of a certain age Jim March. I thought McCabe was absolutely outstanding yesterday - he hardly ever wastes a ball and can find an Airdrie player even when under intense pressure. Telfer again bossed the midfield, including keeping Easton in check, but the other player I would particularly pick out was McGregor. I was a bit sceptical of him at the start of the season but he has really developed and even after 90 minutes of solid running was harrying the Raith backline. His commitment to the cause and fitness are incredible.

Thinking Naismith will be taking training seriously this week and reminding his players that this SC tie is a potential banana skin for them.   Absolutely buzzing for this one and honestly don’t think our boys will have any fear at all going in to the game.  Another loan signing might be a good thing but honestly, we are pretty much injury free, will field a strong side and the boys will have a go.  Another premiership scalp hopefully 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Mmmm, an Edinburgh and Fife club are not happy with their Manager today!

I wouldn't expect him to leave for another championship club and probably too soon for Hibs, my hope is that the lure of keeping on playing will keep him here another season so lets get the deal done, we've got a bit of extra money in this season so lets spend it on that.

12 hours ago, moses1924 said:

I wouldn't expect him to leave for another championship club and probably too soon for Hibs, my hope is that the lure of keeping on playing will keep him here another season so lets get the deal done, we've got a bit of extra money in this season so lets spend it on that.

Yeh, his biggest problem is his age but he's going to get mentioned when most jobs in Scotland come up. He needs to manage his career carefully as a wrong choice could set him back but he's a clever guy. 

As we are all aware, PH keeps everything close to his chest but there is absolutely no way he's not been discussing new contracts with him and Dycey.

Of course situations change quickly in football and a quick look at the league table sees us in a healthy 5th place but 5 points from the relegation play off. I'll be much more relaxed if we can get 4 points from our next 2 league games against Ayr and Morton given that we've lost twice to Ayr and Morton are the league's form team.

29 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh, his biggest problem is his age but he's going to get mentioned when most jobs in Scotland come up. He needs to manage his career carefully as a wrong choice could set him back but he's a clever guy. 

As we are all aware, PH keeps everything close to his chest but there is absolutely no way he's not been discussing new contracts with him and Dycey.

Of course situations change quickly in football and a quick look at the league table sees us in a healthy 5th place but 5 points from the relegation play off. I'll be much more relaxed if we can get 4 points from our next 2 league games against Ayr and Morton given that we've lost twice to Ayr and Morton are the league's form team.

It's working for Rhys and us at the moment,  he has total control over everything,  PH just leaves him to it apparently and Rhys gets what he wants within reason,   he goes to other 'bigger' clubs, would they be willing to give him total control, I don't think so,    I personally think he will be here for the foreseeable future,  Football changes quickly,  pressure will be on him for the Hearts game, from the media and the armchair curiosity fans,  we need a good show next week and more importantly follow it with 3 points against Ayr the following week.

Could Megwa make a return yet? Lost his place to a 16 year old yesterday (he did replace him though) and other RB's, Cadden on bench & Miller returning from international duty this week, albeit that he seemed to have an absolute mare and a target for the boo boys.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

It's working for Rhys and us at the moment,  he has total control over everything,  PH just leaves him to it apparently and Rhys gets what he wants within reason,   he goes to other 'bigger' clubs, would they be willing to give him total control, I don't think so,    I personally think he will be here for the foreseeable future,  Football changes quickly,  pressure will be on him for the Hearts game, from the media and the armchair curiosity fans,  we need a good show next week and more importantly follow it with 3 points against Ayr the following week.

If you really want a long career in management then there's also a lot to be said for actually taking a few years at a lower level to gain experience and learn how to deal with adversity, rather than jumping straight up the leagues at the first offer and then having no experience to fall back on when things go wrong. It's why the majority of these youth coaches who stand-in for a few games and then get the job - MacLean, Robson, Hammell - get sacked a few months later, they've no experience of how to turn results around or deal with players who aren't happy. Clubs will be more willing to give you time if you have a CV which shows you can come through a bad run of form.

Of course in reality if you are offered a fortune to move on then hardly anyone can say no, plus you also know that football can turn quickly and if you don't move when you are flavour of the month you may miss the boat. It would take a lot of self-belief from the manager to stay at a club like Airdrie if a bigger one came along.  At the moment I think the only 'threat' is a bigger Championship club. There would be no point moving to a club around us in the league at the moment, a lower Premiership club would mean retiring and isn't that inviting anyway, and I don't think a Hearts or Aberdeen size club would take him yet. I could definitely see a Partick or Raith wanting him and he could still play a bit, but thankfully those clubs don't look like sacking the manager any time soon. Provided we stay up this year and give him a competitive budget next year I think he'll be here for another year.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Just out of curiosity what's the prize money like for the Challenge cup nowadays? Can't see figures anywhere. Assume we'll also get TV money on top?

@Skyline Drifter any idea?

£50,000 for the winners., £30,000 for the runners up.

You'll get £1,500 for tv money.

And you'll get 47.5% of any profits for the match gate receipts after VAT, ground rent, stewarding, match expenses, etc. A game with TNS is unlikely to have a significant crowd though so you're not getting rich from that. I'd think something less than £5k is likely.

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And you'll get 47.5% of any profits for the match gate receipts after VAT, ground rent, stewarding, match expenses, etc. A game with TNS is unlikely to have a significant crowd though so you're not getting rich from that. I'd think something less than £5k is likely.

Many thanks as always. Given our championship status and the associated prize money, irrespective of where we finish and significantly higher cup money in all three cups to the tune of more than six figures extra  (50k from LC, 35-55k from CC and at least 71k from the SC as opposed to last year's 39k total) it's not inconceivable that we will be essentially tripling or nore last years 140k overall competition prize money this season. If the season finished today we would be trousering in the region of 460k

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

£1,500 TV money 😂

There’s a TV on the John Lewis website that costs £7,999.99

Prize money is very useful though. Where did you find it? Google wasn’t getting me an answer.

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

£1,500 TV money 😂

There’s a TV on the John Lewis website that costs £7,999.99

Prize money is very useful though. Where did you find it? Google wasn’t getting me an answer.

Yeah I was the same, could find the league cup and Scottish cup totals as well as last year's overall prize money but nothing for the challenge cup.

Edited by cb_diamond