Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

30 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

For me when a team gets in a rut the most important thing is to get back to the basics of what you do well and work from there. Don’t overcomplicate things. Questionable whether or not we can call this a rut yet but it’s three losses in a row (including Hearts game in the cup) and while I generally like to remain positive it is most likely going to become four losses on Tuesday night when we go away to the league leaders.

Three of our best players are full backs, that leaves two options: leave one on the bench or play one out of position. You could argue that a back 5 means playing all three out of position, and it’s also a change away from the system we’ve been most successful with. I think we’ve either got to have Hancock partner Fordyce at centre back in a 4, or potentially Megwa although he’s not the tallest, or push one of them into midfield. I was surprised to see McGregor dropped yesterday as I think he’s been doing well but we’re now left with very few options out wide with him picking up an injury. I think Gallagher deserves a run in the team over Toddy as well.

Rae

Megwa Fordyce Hancock Ballantyne

Telfer McCabe Frizzell

McGill Gallagher Lyall

I think something like that could work. Not entirely keen on limiting Hancock since he’s been so effective down the wing but Fordyce needs a centre back partner and he might be the player best-suited to that. Could try Megwa at centre back but I’ve no idea how that would go. McCabe could drop back to let Ballantyne come inside and Hancock overlap in theory, but that might be overcomplicating things (especially considering since I’m trying to emphasise not doing that and instead getting the basics right). I thought Lyall looked good taking a man on when he came off the bench against Ayr so a wide role could work, but could just as easily drop him into a midfield diamond and play a front two to maintain the shape we’d been using recently.

I’d stick with the diamond for the next few games. I thought we played pretty well against Ayr going forward, just very poor defensive mistakes. Happy to accept that as a particularly bad day and hopefully it sorts itself out with Fordyce back in there.

If we do play a back three I think Ballantyne is the weirdest choice to move in. Megwa is very good defensively but lacking going forward, Hancock our best attacking outlet but also the most comfortable in the middle while Ballantyne is probably better at driving forward than Megwa.

Has anyone else noticed how poor (by his own standards) McMaster has been recently? It seems like he’s really struggling with the physicality at times but impressing technically other times. He also seems to get a really easy ride of it when he is poor where as others like Telfer etc get it stinking when they don’t hit at least 8/10. 

I think we could manage his game time a bit better which would be easier if we had Aiken fit. 

56 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I like Watson enough at right back but I’ve never been too convinced by him at centre back. He is certainly more experienced there than Hancock or Megwa but I am keen to see those two plus Ballantyne play. Watson (or McCabe) definitely options to partner Fordyce but that likely means one of Ballantyne, Megwa, Hancock missing out which seems such a waste.

Ballantyne still looks rusty to me so I wouldn't worry about having to leave one (at the moment, him) out and phase him back in. We also have loads of games so rotating between some of them will be needed. I think we're already doing that and would fully expect McCabe and Watson to play on Tuesday. The focus should just be on getting a system that gets the best out of the 11 playing and if that means that a good player misses out then so be it.

If any of them could play as a striker I'd be up all for a bit of experimenting! But sadly I doubt it...

10 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Has anyone else noticed how poor (by his own standards) McMaster has been recently? It seems like he’s really struggling with the physicality at times but impressing technically other times. He also seems to get a really easy ride of it when he is poor where as others like Telfer etc get it stinking when they don’t hit at least 8/10. 

I think we could manage his game time a bit better which would be easier if we had Aiken fit. 

McMaster is a good player when we are dominant in possession because his defensive weaknesses aren't exposed and he's neat and tidy on the ball. However in an evenly fought game he doesn't have the ability to play as a solid defensive midfielder, as you say he's weak physically (mainly due to his age in fairness) and doesn't get close enough to players. There's no way that Quitongo should have been able to keep the ball for that long and then get a cross in yesterday. Get closer and/or foul him earlier in the move if necessary.

Like you say ideally he should be playing home games against weaker sides to begin with until he learns the game a bit more and gets stronger. Morton away is the last game you want to be starting him in this league.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I like Watson enough at right back but I’ve never been too convinced by him at centre back. He is certainly more experienced there than Hancock or Megwa but I am keen to see those two plus Ballantyne play. Watson (or McCabe) definitely options to partner Fordyce but that likely means one of Ballantyne, Megwa, Hancock missing out which seems such a waste.

We have to play players that fit the way Rhys wants to play,  we will lose goals if we play Cammy or Megwa and even Hancock at CB,  Cammy and Megwa are too small and Hancock cannot defend,   although Hancock is probably our best option off the left, why on earth would you want to play him CB..    Watson, Fordyce is our best CB partnership and that has been proven over the season,  question..  would Oakley have been able to bully Watson the way he did with Fordyce, I don't think so....

And while we are at it,  the midfield was a complete mess. McMasters lack of commitment was glaring and just wanted to play square passes to players.who were  marked or getting closed down,  Frizzell offered nothing again, as the skipper he should be leading by example but his legs are gone for this level, Telfer was our best player covered every blade of grass trying to make play, he failed but is that due to him or the reluctance of his team mates, Lyall who I like, was supposed to play on the hole behind Todorov that hole was a 40 yard area because we were playing so deep,. impossible to be effective that far apart and we criticise Todorov but like Lyall what exactly do we want him to do he had scraps at best to work with...

The striking options that came on Gall, Gabby and O Connor that has a League 1 strike force written all over it,   that says enough....

13 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We have to play players that fit the way Rhys wants to play,  we will lose goals if we play Cammy or Megwa and even Hancock at CB,  Cammy and Megwa are too small and Hancock cannot defend,   although Hancock is probably our best option off the left, why on earth would you want to play him CB..    Watson, Fordyce is our best CB partnership and that has been proven over the season,  question..  would Oakley have been able to bully Watson the way he did with Fordyce, I don't think so....

And while we are at it,  the midfield was a complete mess. McMasters lack of commitment was glaring and just wanted to play square passes to players.who were  marked or getting closed down,  Frizzell offered nothing again, as the skipper he should be leading by example but his legs are gone for this level, Telfer was our best player covered every blade of grass trying to make play, he failed but is that due to him or the reluctance of his team mates, Lyall who I like, was supposed to play on the hole behind Todorov that hole was a 40 yard area because we were playing so deep,. impossible to be effective that far apart and we criticise Todorov but like Lyall what exactly do we want him to do he had scraps at best to work with...

The striking options that came on Gall, Gabby and O Connor that has a League 1 strike force written all over it,   that says enough....

Honestly I think that's the wrong way around. Part of the reason the midfield is so ineffective going forward is because absolutely nothing is sticking up front. Todorov absolutely has to do better than what he is doing. I'm not asking for Prime Zlatan up there on his own, but win a few fouls, take the ball in properly, lay it off to forward moving midfielders. The service he is getting is absolutely typical of lower league service to a lone striker and if he can't utilise it to some extent then he shouldn't be playing. Someone like Dowds last week showed what an extremely limited striker can still do. Oakley is a better player but he also is hardly getting great service and is smaller physically than Toddy. At the very least get your body between ball and man and go down and get fouls, but he just gets brushed out the way.

I agree the midfield has issues by the way and that they don't offer enough going forward, but Todorov is part of that. You need some kind of focal point to play off otherwise you get stuck playing sidewards passes all game, which we do.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Ballantyne still looks rusty to me so I wouldn't worry about having to leave one (at the moment, him) out and phase him back in. We also have loads of games so rotating between some of them will be needed. I think we're already doing that and would fully expect McCabe and Watson to play on Tuesday. The focus should just be on getting a system that gets the best out of the 11 playing and if that means that a good player misses out then so be it.

If any of them could play as a striker I'd be up all for a bit of experimenting! But sadly I doubt it...

Been scoring more than strikers of late ,

1 minute ago, Arab_R_us said:

I see Chris Mochrie has just signed with Consillium Sports agency. Would not be surprised to see him on Loan at Airdrie.

Is he out of contract in the summer? Seems like someone Dundee United might want to improve on if they go up, so could definitely see him joining then. 

20 hours ago, Mr November said:

I’d stick with the diamond for the next few games. I thought we played pretty well against Ayr going forward, just very poor defensive mistakes. Happy to accept that as a particularly bad day and hopefully it sorts itself out with Fordyce back in there.

If we do play a back three I think Ballantyne is the weirdest choice to move in. Megwa is very good defensively but lacking going forward, Hancock our best attacking outlet but also the most comfortable in the middle while Ballantyne is probably better at driving forward than Megwa.

Team seemed to be altered to suit Megwa, certainly backfired first half , McGregor and Watson been playing well ,Watson did have a bit of a mare after been moved to CB just not his position,chance to put things right on Tues,hard game but chance to see what we are made off,never heard any news on McGregor hope he is ok soon,

23 hours ago, Passionate said:

…we will lose goals if we play Cammy or Megwa and even Hancock at CB,  Cammy and Megwa are too small and Hancock cannot defend…   Watson, Fordyce is our best CB partnership and that has been proven over the season...

And while we are at it,  the midfield was a complete mess. McMasters lack of commitment was glaring and just wanted to play square passes to players.who were  marked or getting closed down,  Frizzell offered nothing again, as the skipper he should be leading by example but his legs are gone for this level, Telfer was our best player covered every blade of grass trying to make play,… we criticise Todorov but like Lyall what exactly do we want him to do he had scraps at best to work with...

Couldn’t disagree more. I think our best CB pairings have been Fordyce and ATS or Fordyce and Rhys. Fordyce and Watson was a disaster last week. I’m always scared with either of those combinations, but generally seem to work well. Hancock can lose concentration at times, but think he’d be OK alongside Fordyce with Magwa and Cammy out wide.

McMaster has generally been steady this season- rarely outstanding but rarely really poor. Frizzel has been disappointing but think his last couple of games he’s been outstanding. Telfer has proved me wrong this season though and been far better this season than last.

I think our best forward line is Gal + one other. Should be Gabby and he’s looked more like himself last couple of games but was poor prior to that. Not the best forward line in the league, but should bag enough goals with others chipping in regularly too. McGreggor, not sure there’s more there than pace- although some days that’s enough. Toddy, for me, is a downgrade on Gal who can do everything Toddy does, but better. 

Our big problem is scoring goals and if you look at our last 11 league goals it is interesting

Todarov           3

Watson            3

Fordyce            2

Ballantyne       1

Hancock          1

CalGal              1

Our style of play is getting the defenders into the box to score but it is also leaving spaces for the opposition to get in behind us with a quick turnover and that is how we are losing the majority of our goals.

3 hours ago, Sub Parr said:

Couldn’t disagree more. I think our best CB pairings have been Fordyce and ATS or Fordyce and Rhys. Fordyce and Watson was a disaster last week. I’m always scared with either of those combinations, but generally seem to work well. Hancock can lose concentration at times, but think he’d be OK alongside Fordyce with Magwa and Cammy out wide.

McMaster has generally been steady this season- rarely outstanding but rarely really poor. Frizzel has been disappointing but think his last couple of games he’s been outstanding. Telfer has proved me wrong this season though and been far better this season than last.

I think our best forward line is Gal + one other. Should be Gabby and he’s looked more like himself last couple of games but was poor prior to that. Not the best forward line in the league, but should bag enough goals with others chipping in regularly too. McGreggor, not sure there’s more there than pace- although some days that’s enough. Toddy, for me, is a downgrade on Gal who can do everything Toddy does, but better. 

It's all about opinions, everybody sees the game differently, but we all want the same goal 8th or better...

Just going over a couple of points Watson and Fordyce , with Megwa and Hancock either side coincided with our upturn on form,   Saturday we shoehorned Megwa in  and pushed Cammy in one, it didn't work and I don't actually see why we tried it,  it showed how exposed we were in forward areas ,   What do you think about Lyall replacing Frizzell who has been subbed off the last couple of games,  Lyall played the same role as Frizzell at Rangers,  we need a spark from somewhere,

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

It's all about opinions, everybody sees the game differently, but we all want the same goal 8th or better...

Just going over a couple of points Watson and Fordyce , with Megwa and Hancock either side coincided with our upturn on form,   Saturday we shoehorned Megwa in  and pushed Cammy in one, it didn't work and I don't actually see why we tried it,  it showed how exposed we were in forward areas ,   What do you think about Lyall replacing Frizzell who has been subbed off the last couple of games,  Lyall played the same role as Frizzell at Rangers,  we need a spark from somewhere,

It's hard to see Lyall getting the nod tomorrow night after getting hooked at half time on Saturday although I wouldn't be averse to Frizz making way.

A quick turnaround from Saturday so fitness will dictate who plays with hints that McStravick could be back in the squad but I do think he'll go the 5 at the back and we'll see the most defensive McCabe side ever.

Rae

Ballantyne  McCabe/Watson   Fordyce    Megwa   Hancock

Telfer and  4 others       

Edited by Kenny_m

Without Gal in the box the defenders are picking up the loose balls and scoring because Toddy is not a nimble quick thinking box player. Earlier in the season when Gal was playing we were struggling in the final third and that is why he was not scoring as all his touches were too far from goal. We were also persevering with wingers and Hancock was not creating for him on the left.  I had a look back at the CalGal Wonder goal and he has that in his locker and needs to be on the pitch.

Everyone goes on about sticking to the system but we have to get the most points on the board by getting the best out of the players we have. All credit to McCabe for trying something new against Morton and  even though we lost he needs to find a new way to win games because teams have shown how to beat us now.

I think we need Frizz on the park and we need to give Gal a run so I would have a go with:

Ballantyne       Watson    Fordyce     Megwa     Hancock

Donnell        Telfer       McCabe        Lyall

Gallagher           Frizzell

Donnell and Lyall will add a bit of dig in the midfield with the experience of McCabe and Telfer running the show. This leaves Frizzell further upfield where he can beat his man in the box and the final third. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Without Gal in the box the defenders are picking up the loose balls and scoring because Toddy is not a nimble quick thinking box player. Earlier in the season when Gal was playing we were struggling in the final third and that is why he was not scoring as all his touches were too far from goal. We were also persevering with wingers and Hancock was not creating for him on the left.  I had a look back at the CalGal Wonder goal and he has that in his locker and needs to be on the pitch.

Everyone goes on about sticking to the system but we have to get the most points on the board by getting the best out of the players we have. All credit to McCabe for trying something new against Morton and  even though we lost he needs to find a new way to win games because teams have shown how to beat us now.

I think we need Frizz on the park and we need to give Gal a run so I would have a go with:

Donnell and Lyall will add a bit of dig in the midfield with the experience of McCabe and Telfer running the show. This leaves Frizzell further upfield where he can beat his man in the box and the final third.

The could take turnabout going in goals ,🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Thought the boy Donnell and Mcgill offered a bit when they came of the bench on Sat would like to see them starting.