Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I think Coyle scored 3 2 3 4 and I was at the game he scored 2 in and I am sure I remember he hit the bar in that game. Not sure anyone has scored 4 hat tricks in a row but he was close.

Got a wee bit mixed up I genuinely thought he had scored the 3 hatricks in a row ,

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Got a wee bit mixed up I genuinely thought he had scored the 3 hatricks in a row ,

My recollection was 3 hatricks in a row too? 

From the most prolific scoring streaks ever in the Guardian

4) Owen Coyle (Airdrie, Sept 15-Sept29 1990, 12 goals in four games)

Not a name you'd expect to see on this list, it's fair to say, but Coyle had a remarkable fortnight early in the 1990-91 season. "He went supernova scoring 17 goals in Airdieonians' first seven games," writes Steve Guy, "and only scored three more in the league for the rest of the season." His best uninterrupted run came after a hat-trick against Forfar.

His streak: 3, 2, 3, 4

Statto moment here, but reading the Coyle comments got me looking back at the results at the start of that season and what a start it was - he did actually score a hat-trick on three consecutive weekends, the two goals he got were in a midweek game against Meadowbank.  The 17 he got in 7 games came on top of the 10 he had got in 10 games the season before.  As a team we actually had a player score a hat trick on five consecutive weekends !!!  We all thought the league had been won by October...if only.....For the record....

Sat 1st Sept   - 4-3 vs Kilmarnock (Coyle 3)

Sat 8th Sept  - 3-0 vs Brechin City (Harvey 3)

Sat 15th Sept - 4-1 vs Forfar (Coyle 3)

(Tues 18th Sept 2-0 vs Meadowbank - Coyle 2)

Sat 22nd Sept - 4-0 vs Ayr Utd (Coyle 3)

Sat 29th Sept - 4-1 vs Clyde (Coyle 4)

So that was 27 goals in his first 17 games - more than he would score in the rest of his first spell at the club.    

All about Gal getting a hatricks,watched Rovers game last night ,they certainly have a lot of quality players but as a team they play like individual's,Murray's predictable 3man sub but never made one bit of difference ,

There’s no doubt about it, we will have 4 massive scrappy games ahead over the next few weeks. All against relegation contenders, the aim of the game is to stay ahead of that pack and not get sucked in to a relegation battle.  Our two games in hand are massive but I’m positive we can take 8 points out of possible 12.  I do fancy us to win today which would be a big boost, the lads needing to approach the game like they did on Tuesday and I actually fancy Gal to get on the score sheet.  Come through these games unbeaten and I’ll be very confident about retaining our Championship status.   

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

It will be from the bench though, he's not starting.

Well we got a goal hero from the bench, but it wasn’t Gal!   Gals goals have dried up and I know this league is a step up from L1 but I’m thinking he’s got a great chance against QP who are possibly on a level with Airdrie, but not better.  In the upcoming games we need our strikers performing to get us the vital points we need and they’ve been few and far between recently.  I said Pre-game that I was hoping to limit QP to one goal or better to give us a chance to get all 3 points but we never looked capable of that today.  Glad Mason earned us a vital point 

It was a relief to snatch a point although the game could really have gone either way.

I was disappointed in McMaster today and very surprised we took Telfer off so early in the second half.

Superb effort from Mason for the goal but not quite sure it deserved the MOTM award from the sponsors. Megwa was our best player to me without a doubt.

Just now, Ghost of Prague said:

It was a relief to snatch a point although the game could really have gone either way.

I was disappointed in McMaster today and very surprised we took Telfer off so early in the second half.

Superb effort from Mason for the goal but not quite sure it deserved the MOTM award from the sponsors. Megwa was our best player to me without a doubt.

There's definitely plenty of resting/rotation going on at the moment for this busy spell of games. McCabe took himself out last Saturday but back in on Tuesday, I'd imagine the same will happen on Tuesday. I don't think he thinks he can play 2 games a week so will play himself in the tougher games. Telfer's played the full 90 of previous 2 games so wouldn't be surprised if he was brought off a bit early for Tuesday. The strikers are getting rotated round, and I was surprised Hancock was available today but assume he was rested and only used if needed, which he was. Would expect him to start Tuesday too and Ballantyne to drop out. Like others I think Frizz needs rested/dropped but he seems to be the one who is immune, I just don't think he offers enough and although we don't have amazing alternatives I do think Lyall or McStravick could do a job in that role.

McStravick was muscled off the ball today and it took till the second half for the ref to give him a bit of protection. He was just bouncing off the defender when he put the ball past him. Some strange tackles and blocks were being let go like the one where Megwa was trying to get down the line. Frizz was being out muscled as well but in the second half he was managing to hold on to the ball in the tackle a bit better. Again Lyall did well when he came on and fits the system.

QP also had the offside trap down pat and got the marginal decisions but those missed sitters for Paton were a real let off for us.

42 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There's definitely plenty of resting/rotation going on at the moment for this busy spell of games. McCabe took himself out last Saturday but back in on Tuesday, I'd imagine the same will happen on Tuesday. I don't think he thinks he can play 2 games a week so will play himself in the tougher games. Telfer's played the full 90 of previous 2 games so wouldn't be surprised if he was brought off a bit early for Tuesday. The strikers are getting rotated round, and I was surprised Hancock was available today but assume he was rested and only used if needed, which he was. Would expect him to start Tuesday too and Ballantyne to drop out. Like others I think Frizz needs rested/dropped but he seems to be the one who is immune, I just don't think he offers enough and although we don't have amazing alternatives I do think Lyall or McStravick could do a job in that role.

The games are coming thick and fast,  Queens Park played well and could feel a little unfortunate not to away with 3 points,   good game though and we fought our corner, giving free goals away is simply not good enough at this level, and when you struggle to score , you are just shooting your toes off..

Onto the team, the entire left side and midfield was a struggle ,  Cammy is struggling, was he brought back too quick from injury, he just lacks the snap he normally has,  McStravick is an enigma, he has talent but struggles when to use it, he offers nothing defensively and with Cammy struggling behind him, it was a problem..   Frizzell I have been saying for months has hit his ceiling, the championship is a step too far pace wise and looking at his body language he knows it,  when we shuffled the pack second half he played better in a wider role and put in many a decent cross though, maybe try him on that position....    It looks like Rhys McCabe is managing his load,  but we miss him badly in the middle of the park when missing. ,  McMaster has potential but was well off it today again just like at Morton...  Today was a must not lose, and we have to be happy enough with a point.

6 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Apart from Rhys McCabe’s free kicks, was Hancock’s goal our first goal from outside the box this season?

Could be more but Gals goal in the last home televised game against QP was a great finish outside the box I am sure

14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Could be more but Gals goal in the last home televised game against QP was a great finish outside the box I am sure

I thought you might have been right, and I checked it on the highlights of that game, but that one was inside the box

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

The games are coming thick and fast,  Queens Park played well and could feel a little unfortunate not to away with 3 points,   good game though and we fought our corner, giving free goals away is simply not good enough at this level, and when you struggle to score , you are just shooting your toes off..

Onto the team, the entire left side and midfield was a struggle ,  Cammy is struggling, was he brought back too quick from injury, he just lacks the snap he normally has,  McStravick is an enigma, he has talent but struggles when to use it, he offers nothing defensively and with Cammy struggling behind him, it was a problem..   Frizzell I have been saying for months has hit his ceiling, the championship is a step too far pace wise and looking at his body language he knows it,  when we shuffled the pack second half he played better in a wider role and put in many a decent cross though, maybe try him on that position....    It looks like Rhys McCabe is managing his load,  but we miss him badly in the middle of the park when missing. ,  McMaster has potential but was well off it today again just like at Morton...  Today was a must not lose, and we have to be happy enough with a point.

I've been wanting this for a while. He was a wide player coming through at Killie and it shows at this level where he simply doesn't have the touch, awareness and close control in those congested areas that a natural attacking midfielder has. Last season ended well but I thought for chunks of last season he was poor in there as well. When he's out wider there's not as much pressure on his touch as he has more space and he can go by a man and put good crosses in. His best season for us was his first under Murray when he played in the wider role in a diamond, he would get the ball in wider areas on the half turn in space and drive up the pitch.

His goals/assists return from his attacking midfield role isn't good enough and I think he's had a long enough run to show it, I'd move him a bit deeper and wider and put McStravick or Lyall in there.

On 03/03/2024 at 07:57, Diamonds are Forever said:

I've been wanting this for a while. He was a wide player coming through at Killie and it shows at this level where he simply doesn't have the touch, awareness and close control in those congested areas that a natural attacking midfielder has. Last season ended well but I thought for chunks of last season he was poor in there as well. When he's out wider there's not as much pressure on his touch as he has more space and he can go by a man and put good crosses in. His best season for us was his first under Murray when he played in the wider role in a diamond, he would get the ball in wider areas on the half turn in space and drive up the pitch.

His goals/assists return from his attacking midfield role isn't good enough and I think he's had a long enough run to show it, I'd move him a bit deeper and wider and put McStravick or Lyall in there.

Agree with much of this. I still think he’s wasted in too much a wide role like he played at Dumbarton and there’s a reason he kicked on so much with us after moving more central but he played his best football when Easton was the 10 and he was playing a deeper role. I think he’s best used as an 8 that can drive the team up the park rather than as the central playmaker. Would McStravick, Lyall, Donnell be any better as the 10 though? I’m not sure. I think Lyall seems a fairly similar player to Frizzell that would be better driving from deep. Donnell looked good when he came on at the weekend I thought but he really struggled against Ayr. Not sure how he’d do in that role. McStravick might make the most sense but he’s maybe more likely to struggle physically in the middle than against a full back and I thought he got a bit bullied on Saturday although he had decent flashes.

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds