Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Agree with much of this. I still think he’s wasted in too much a wide role like he played at Dumbarton and there’s a reason he kicked on so much with us after moving more central but he played his best football when Easton was the 10 and he was playing a deeper role. I think he’s best used as an 8 that can drive the team up the park rather than as the central playmaker. Would McStravick, Lyall, Donnell be any better as the 10 though? I’m not sure. I think Lyall seems a fairly similar player to Frizzell that would be better driving from deep. Donnell looked good when he came on at the weekend I thought but he really struggled against Ayr. Not sure how he’d do in that role. McStravick might make the most sense but he’s maybe more likely to struggle physically in the middle than against a full back and I thought he got a bit bullied on Saturday although he had decent flashes.

Dunfermline fans suggesting that the pitch (touchy subject I know) is not in the best condition therefore I wouldn't have McStravick in the starting 11. I might not have him in anyway as he's not contributing enough and he was getting brushed aside by Longridge too easily for my liking. Note the difference when Hancock blew past Longridge for his goal on Saturday.

Admittedly Frizz has been struggling but Lyall & Donnell haven't really impressed to date either. I can't pick the side tonight but we need to find a system that includes Megwa, Ballantyne & Hancock. McCabe will replace McMaster if fit but the suggestion that he has a hammy doesn't look good. McGill looks a certain starter too given that he's a lot more mobile than Toddy or Gal. Be delighted to get a point tonight.

Edited by Kenny_m

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Dunfermline fans suggesting that the pitch (touchy subject I know) is not in the best condition therefore I wouldn't have McStravick in the starting 11. I might not have him in anyway as he's not contributing enough and he was getting brushed aside by Longridge too easily for my liking. Note the difference when Hancock blew past Longridge for his goal on Saturday.

Admittedly Frizz has been struggling but Lyall & Donnell haven't really impressed to date either. I can't pick the side tonight but we need to find a system that includes Megwa, Ballantyne & Hancock. McCabe will replace McMaster if fit but the suggestion that he has a hammy doesn't look good. McGill looks a certain starter too given that he's a lot more mobile than Toddy or Gal. Be delighted to get a point tonight.

Well we don't need to bother about squeezing in our 3 full backs. Ballantyne not in the squad and lets hope is not a recurrence of his previous injury.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Prague said:

Turns out playing on Tuesday nights was all we had to do to fix our away form.

Great result and good to see Morton lose as well. Definitely in the mix for the play off spots.

Amazing the difference one result makes

1 hour ago, Ghost of Prague said:

Great result and good to see Morton lose as well. Definitely in the mix for the play off spots.

Feels a bit bizarre that Morton have went almost half a season unbeaten and yet we can go above them if we win our game in hand. I’m still looking over the shoulder rather than upwards but a few more wins like that would be fantastic. 

I’ve missed the last two away games, maybe I should just stop going if this is what happens!

Big win tonight and builds on the last two games, was getting nervy after the Ayr and Morton defeats but looking more positive now, just need to make sure we kick on with Inverness, Ayr and two games against Arbroath coming up. 6 points would take us to 41 meaning we wouldn't need too many more from what looks like quite a hard run of games after that.

7 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Big win tonight and builds on the last two games, was getting nervy after the Ayr and Morton defeats but looking more positive now, just need to make sure we kick on with Inverness, Ayr and two games against Arbroath coming up. 6 points would take us to 41 meaning we wouldn't need too many more from what looks like quite a hard run of games after that.

Great 3points,and good that our strikers both scored, Rhys certainty led by example well done,

26 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Great 3points,and good that our strikers both scored, Rhys certainty led by example well done,

It was a very professional performance by the entire side,  special mention to Hancock who showed he can defend as well , very good player,   Frizzell who has been off it recently, probably had one of his best performances in a long time,  playing on the old no 6 role,  nothing flashy but very effective,    Watson again was nearly faultless and covered for IMO an unusually erratic Fordyce....   But the jewel on the crown was Charlie Telfer who I thought was outstanding.....

Todorov and Gabby showed the reason why they start,  Todorov is a handful and worries championship defenders a lot more than Gall does, and McGills beginning to show how good a finisher he is, although he has had a very stop start season...

Well done to Rhys and push on, who knows where we could end up....

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

It was a very professional performance by the entire side,  special mention to Hancock who showed he can defend as well , very good player,   Frizzell who has been off it recently, probably had one of his best performances in a long time,  playing on the old no 6 role,  nothing flashy but very effective,    Watson again was nearly faultless and covered for IMO an unusually erratic Fordyce....   But the jewel on the crown was Charlie Telfer who I thought was outstanding.....

Todorov and Gabby showed the reason why they start,  Todorov is a handful and worries championship defenders a lot more than Gall does, and McGills beginning to show how good a finisher he is, although he has had a very stop start season...

Well done to Rhys and push on, who knows where we could end up....

We certainly are starting to punch above our budget weight ,

11 hours ago, Ghost of Prague said:

Reminiscent of the second-half of the Covid season. 

2 points off 4th, 4 points off 3rd and 5 points ahead of 9th 😂 Wild. Hate to say it out loud so to speak but I'd like to think a win on Saturday would be enough to stop having to look over our shoulder. Can't discount anything happening in this league though! Great win against a team we've struggled with these last two seasons. 6 of our 13 away points have came in the last week 😂

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Reminiscent of the second-half of the Covid season. 

2 points off 4th, 4 points off 3rd and 5 points ahead of 9th 😂 Wild. Hate to say it out loud so to speak but I'd like to think a win on Saturday would be enough to stop having to look over our shoulder. Can't discount anything happening in this league though! Great win against a team we've struggled with these last two seasons. 6 of our 13 away points have came in the last week 😂

Seem to be better at beating sides sitting above us in league,think you are right if we win on sat we will be looking above us,I have to admit Toddy and Gabby better than I thought,could only get better playing together in a run of games ,defenders find Toddy akward and a handful,

I know I’m going to sound like such a pessimist but I really wish I could bottle this feeling as an Airdrie fan right now. 

Praying we get another season with the team and manager beyond this one. Last night again showed just how far we’ve come as did the previous Tuesday. 

I really do hope this lasts but I can’t help getting ahead of myself and fear for what’s next after this 

8 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

“Starting”?

We have been above the bottom two positions all season which is where our budget most definitely sits. 

We are as a club probably punching well above our weight,  this isn't the 80s or the 90s Scottish football left Airdrie behind,  we all no the off field troubles we had felt like continually for about 20 years until PH took the helm,    

We just have to look at the average attendance figures in this league ours was 1881 last I checked a couple of weeks back,  that has increased over 30 percent on last season,  we still have the second lowest average attendance in the league ..    The attendance last night was over 4k (they must have been counting double(..

If we stay up( let's not get ahead of ourselves) Falkirk will be there  big crowds ( cannot wait for the crowd wanks) .    

I think our budget will always sit second lowest or Indeed lowest when in the Championship does that mean we will struggle,  eventually Yes,  but the way we are working the loan market and blend of youth and experience with a very talented player. Manager is working very well and probably the envy of many 'bigger clubs saddled with debt and high wages. 

The club always have additional levers to pull to increase revenue and budget , that is increasing admission prices,  cost of living etc I know,   but to get charged 25 notes behind the goals at Tannadice and an average of 22 notes most other places,     we charge 20 to me it's a no brainer, it won't close the budget gap , but will increase ours ...   

We will have to trust the process, although it can be frustrating at times..

Onwards and upwards 

Looks like the Friday night Championship games from April onwards will just be whoever is home to Raith or Dundee United. I've been expecting it for a while but I guess our home game against Dundee United will probably be moved, which would be a shame as it would cut down the crowd a fair bit.

55 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Looks like the Friday night Championship games from April onwards will just be whoever is home to Raith or Dundee United. I've been expecting it for a while but I guess our home game against Dundee United will probably be moved, which would be a shame as it would cut down the crowd a fair bit.

Dundee Utd have never brought a big travelling support, considering that they claim to have over 5000 season ticket holders.

So the next couple of games will have a big impact on our final league standing imo. Since we are playing two teams below us it gives us a massive opportunity to jump by Morton and keep the relegation battle well in the rear view mirror.   A couple of bad results would leave the team in a slump and firmly battling to stay ahead of that pack.   I honestly think Rhys will have the boys playing a cup final mentality up in Inverness.  We could open up an 8 point gap on ICT by the weekend and possibly more after Arbroath.  I really want us to switch mentality from ‘8th or better’ to ‘4th’.   This team is more than capable of making the playoffs but we’d need to be at our best.   Morton’s bubble is just about burst here and I know they will win plenty before the end of the season but they are no longer the ‘in form’ team.   Nothing to fear on our road trip north.  I’m not thinking about a point and fighting out a draw - we’ve taken six points on the road against Dunfermline and Dundee and the mindset has to be 3 points.  

Mon the fvckin Airdrie ♦️ 

Hi airdrie fans, I come in peace. Bit off topic. Im watching a bbc documentary on the miners strike of the 80’s and it’s a great watch, if you haven’t already. I was just a wee guy in the 80’s but I do remember your goalie,John Martin, getting ‘scab’ abuse. Anyone of a certain vintage shed light on this? I 100% joined in on the shouts of “scab, scab, scab……” without fully knowing what it meant. Horrible time for all miners and there was only one woman responsible for it all.

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Hi airdrie fans, I come in peace. Bit off topic. Im watching a bbc documentary on the miners strike of the 80’s and it’s a great watch, if you haven’t already. I was just a wee guy in the 80’s but I do remember your goalie,John Martin, getting ‘scab’ abuse. Anyone of a certain vintage shed light on this? I 100% joined in on the shouts of “scab, scab, scab……” without fully knowing what it meant. Horrible time for all miners and there was only one woman responsible for it all.

From the Scotsman:

In the national pit dispute which stretched over the winter of 1984-5, Martin joined workmates at the Monktonhall colliery in Midlothian on the picket line. He was part-time with Airdrie, earning £30 a week, so the food parcels handed out to the miners were gratefully received in his house. “Then one day they stopped. I asked why down at the Pans Labour Club and was told that because I was taking a wage from football I didn’t need them. ‘You’re effin’ kidding,’ I said. After tax and travel – two nights a week training, getting up at five in the morning, putting in a shift, going through to the ground by assorted buses because I didn’t drive, then not getting back home until 11 at night – I was left with just 20 quid. In other households, the wives were bringing in good money from their jobs. Angela didn’t have a job – she was doing her bit for the strike, serving at the soup kitchen. I said that for me the strike was over and I was going back. After that shift I was told the problem was sorted but I was scunnered by the whole thing and carried on working. So every morning I got on the bus and they shouted ‘Scab’ at me.”

And at many football grounds, too. “Honestly, it didn’t bother me. That guy I bumped into recently… there were a few after the strike was done who shunned me. I didn’t have any problem with what I did. Ally MacLeod was the Airdrie manager at the time. He’ll have known miners from being at Ayr United. About me going back he just said: ‘Son, it’s nobody’s business but yours.’ Later, Gordon McQueen took over and he made us full-time, which I was glad about.

“Folk who called me a scab during games didn’t know the full story. Sometimes I’d turn round and say: ‘Of course I am.’ But fans were always shouting stuff at me. I’d get: ‘Hey Martin, you’re effin’ hopeless!’ So I’d go: ‘Really? And which club do you play for?’ Their mates would laugh and you wouldn’t hear another peep. Then there was Fergie, Hamilton Accies’ biggest nutter – I had some fun with him. One time he shouted: ‘Hey Martin, your wife’s a good ride.’ I shouted back: ‘Aye you effin’ better believe it!’”