Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Hi airdrie fans, I come in peace. Bit off topic. Im watching a bbc documentary on the miners strike of the 80’s and it’s a great watch, if you haven’t already. I was just a wee guy in the 80’s but I do remember your goalie,John Martin, getting ‘scab’ abuse. Anyone of a certain vintage shed light on this? I 100% joined in on the shouts of “scab, scab, scab……” without fully knowing what it meant. Horrible time for all miners and there was only one woman responsible for it all.

There is material in the biography produced by John O'Brien which I have somewhere. It's largely on the same lines as the Scotsman report. 

52 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

There is material in the biography produced by John O'Brien which I have somewhere. It's largely on the same lines as the Scotsman report. 

Was at a game ,sure it was  East Fife when John got the abuse of the fans for working when he had second job in football,

3 hours ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Hi airdrie fans, I come in peace. Bit off topic. Im watching a bbc documentary on the miners strike of the 80’s and it’s a great watch, if you haven’t already. I was just a wee guy in the 80’s but I do remember your goalie,John Martin, getting ‘scab’ abuse. Anyone of a certain vintage shed light on this? I 100% joined in on the shouts of “scab, scab, scab……” without fully knowing what it meant. Horrible time for all miners and there was only one woman responsible for it all.

My uncle worked with him at Monktonhall and used to say that he was just a big daft boy.

18 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Having a look at the fixtures left, and points tally so far, I'm plumpin for around the 43-45 point mark to finish the season.

I was hoping for 49-50 points but maybe I’m looking at it with diamond tinted glasses.   I think we’ll be the banana skin for Raith and DU on the run in and I would be surprised with a bit of an ‘upset’ against PT or possibly the Ayr tv game 

1 minute ago, FLDiamond said:

I was hoping for 49-50 points but maybe I’m looking at it with diamond tinted glasses.   I think we’ll be the banana skin for Raith and DU on the run in and I would be surprised with a bit of an ‘upset’ against PT or possibly the Ayr tv game 

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm HOPING for a few more, but looking at the fixtures and trying to be as "grounded" as possible I'd settle for the 45 and move on to next season.  Lots of football to be played before anything's decided!!

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Having a look at the fixtures left, and points tally so far, I'm plumpin for around the 43-45 point mark to finish the season.

Just been through the fixtures and agree with this, its a bit odd given we have to play all the teams in the league but our run in seems quite hard in terms of when we play teams, home / away split etc so good to have a few wins recently. You would hope 43 points would be enough to keep us out of the bottom two, avoiding defeat on Saturday important. 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Is 43 points enough to finish 8th?

I think so, just!

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I think so, just!

I think so, for Inverness to get to 43 points they would need 13 more points from 9 games or 4 wins and a draw which they could do but seems a lot from a team that's only won 7 of the last 27. That's why I think Saturday is a "must not lose" as it leaves Inverness with one less game to make up the ground on us. I would add i'm not writting Inverness off and the way the league is means a few bad results and you're dragged right back into it but I think 43 points would do it.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I think so, just!

Yeh I would think 43 could get 8th,  the league is still their to be won not for us sadly,  that's my next point if DU or Raith want to lift that trophy and get promoted, they have to win football matches,  if they could go on a run it lessens the points available to the bottom sides, and with everybody else cutting each others throat,  40 like it normally is could be the safe zone...  People always said how good and close this league was and is,  it is in a different world to League 1 which after Falkirk leave will be a total barren wasteland.....

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

it is in a different world to League 1 which after Falkirk leave will be a total barren wasteland...

This is one of reasons I really hope we can stay up, had a look at league one table earlier and a few things stood out, if we hadn't won the playoff we probably wouldnt have won the league this season either, QOTS look like they are in a similar trajectory to us and staying in league one for a while and what's happened to Edinburgh CIty?

13 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

This is one of reasons I really hope we can stay up, had a look at league one table earlier and a few things stood out, if we hadn't won the playoff we probably wouldnt have won the league this season either, QOTS look like they are in a similar trajectory to us and staying in league one for a while and what's happened to Edinburgh CIty?

Edinburgh City in dire financial trouble, struggling to pay wages and got a points deduction.

Another big game tomorrow where 3 points would take us 8 clear of Caley and would be a real tough ask for them to claw that back and also the added bonus of sneaking into 4th which would be a great psychological boost. Caley seem to have a few injuries issues as well but such is the nature of this league that nothing would be a surprise.

45 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Another big game tomorrow where 3 points would take us 8 clear of Caley and would be a real tough ask for them to claw that back and also the added bonus of sneaking into 4th which would be a great psychological boost. Caley seem to have a few injuries issues as well but such is the nature of this league that nothing would be a surprise.

Can we not cancel and play  Tues night ,

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Ridiculous that we’re talking about trying to keep out of the relegation battle with a win in the same breath as taking us up to 4th and promotion play offs. I thought league 1 was generally pretty tight, but championship is mental.

1 hour ago, Sub Parr said:

Ridiculous that we’re talking about trying to keep out of the relegation battle with a win in the same breath as taking us up to 4th and promotion play offs. I thought league 1 was generally pretty tight, but championship is mental.

It’s wild isn’t it? A couple of results can be the difference between 9th and 4th which can then mean ending up back in League One or in the Premiership. The difference between facing Stirling Albion and Stenhousemuir or Rangers and Celtic.

I’ll be honest, after being in playoff finals every year I was kind of looking forward to the prospect of a break from them. Obviously I’ll be delighted if we finish in the top 4, but it’d be nice to have a relaxing end to the season.

If we make it to the promotion playoffs, we do so with no real pressure on us.  I see it as getting at least one more home game with a bumper crowd for next season's warchest, which is a good thing to aim for.  Naturally if we get there I'll be daydreaming of scudding Partick like we did Falkirk and I'll be well up for it, but as long as we finish anywhere north of 9th place then there's no pressure for anything more.  It'd be a brilliant story if we did make it up, and of course you go into every game thinking of how you can win it, but the promotion playoffs aren't a target in the way they were last season.   As Shine On says, a wee break from them would be a nice in its own way!

26 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

If we make it to the promotion playoffs, we do so with no real pressure on us.  I see it as getting at least one more home game with a bumper crowd for next season's warchest, which is a good thing to aim for.  Naturally if we get there I'll be daydreaming of scudding Partick like we did Falkirk and I'll be well up for it, but as long as we finish anywhere north of 9th place then there's no pressure for anything more.  It'd be a brilliant story if we did make it up, and of course you go into every game thinking of how you can win it, but the promotion playoffs aren't a target in the way they were last season.   As Shine On says, a wee break from them would be a nice in its own way!

It's the ultimate free hit!