Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hard to disagree with anything the league is still crazy and a bad week could have us in the mire,      regarding the keeper I thought we was commited and dealt with everything pretty well,  I actually thought it was a great cross and header for the second goal, should he have stayed on his line, possibly....   I don't know about Rae situation but I would be surprised is he is not back on the next 2 or 3 weeks,  although season will be about done by then.

Unsurprisingly the amount of medical qualifications I have is precisely nil, but I'd be absolutely stunned if Rae appears again this season. Going from an injury like that back to full contact professional sport is a huge step and I can't see them taking any chances for the sake of maybe playing a couple of games. I'd assume this season was written off as soon as they realised the problem and the aim was/is to get him healthy and then see about getting back to playing.

Would be delighted to be wrong obviously.

Agree with the comments above, I think one more win will be enough to see us survive in the league this season, I know the Championship is completely bonkers, but I think having a 10 point gap over Inverness with them only having 5 games left should be more than enough (hopefully get a win on Tuesday night). 

Reaching the promotion play offs would be great, but I'm honestly not too fussed if we don't either, our budget will also be significantly bigger than this season considering we are working with pretty much a league 1 budget.

If you offered me survival in the championship, a decent cup run and winning a trophy at the start of the season I'd have bitten your hand off for that. 

Edited by David Fernández

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

Agree with the comments above, I think one more win will be enough to see us survive in the league this season, I know the Championship is completely bonkers, but I think having a 10 point gap over Inverness with them only having 5 games left should be more than enough (hopefully get a win on Tuesday night). 

Reaching the promotion play offs would be great, but I'm honestly not too fussed if we don't either, our budget will also be significantly bigger than last season considering we were working with pretty much a league 1 budget.

If you offered me survival in the championship, a decent cup run and winning a trophy at the start of the season I'd have bitten your hand off for that. 

The financial aspect of finishing 4th would help with that too, obviously extra gate money but it would also provide enough extra prize money to potentially cover a decent player for next season. I won’t be devastated if we miss out though, a rare summer of relaxing and having a laugh at other teams play-off antics sounds quite nice after the stress of the last few years.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The financial aspect of finishing 4th would help with that too, obviously extra gate money but it would also provide enough extra prize money to potentially cover a decent player for next season. I won’t be devastated if we miss out though, a rare summer of relaxing and having a laugh at other teams play-off antics sounds quite nice after the stress of the last few years.

I'd love us to finish as high up the table as possible but I think with us being in the play offs the last few seasons, we're always the last team to announce contract extensions or signings due to us not knowing what league we'll be in. I understand reaching the play offs and with the gate money etc it could help us cover another decent player, but I think it would be nice to be going into next season a bit more prepared than in previous seasons. That and I genuinely need a break from the stress of the play offs 😂.

Thought Michael Stewart was out of order on commentary after that McMaster challenge. Definite red card and Scott Brown had every right to be angry about the tackle and the referee’s decision, but Stewart as an impartial commentator spending the last 10 minutes of the match repeatedly calling a young laddie a coward left a bad taste in my mouth.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Thought Michael Stewart was out of order on commentary after that McMaster challenge. Definite red card and Scott Brown had every right to be angry about the tackle and the referee’s decision, but Stewart as an impartial commentator spending the last 10 minutes of the match repeatedly calling a young laddie a coward left a bad taste in my mouth.

Aye he seemed as it was something personal,not a badly timed  tackle ,

6 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

With the match televised, is there any chance a retrospective ban could come for McMaster? It’s a red card for serious foul play whatever way you look at it, I’m afraid… don’t know if trial by TV is a thing in our league.

No.

The ref saw the incident and deemed it a yellow card offence (f**k knows how he came to that conclusion though). Game finished and matter closed.

If he hadn't issued a card he could have claimed to have not seen it and retrospective action could then have been taken. But he did. So he can't. And now he'll probably be demoted to the West of Scotland under 12s league for a couple of weeks as his punishment.

13 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

And now he'll probably be demoted to the West of Scotland under 12s league for a couple of weeks as his punishment.

Or be straight into premier League duty as seems to be the bizarre reward culture for shambolic refereeing in Scotland.

5 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Or be straight into premier League duty as seems to be the bizarre reward culture for shambolic refereeing in Scotland.

Just been reading about the ref that failed to sent mcMaster off,Brown obviously has a lot to say ,just like to think  it was badly mistimed ,not easy to defend it though .

50 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Just been reading about the ref that failed to sent mcMaster off,Brown obviously has a lot to say ,just like to think  it was badly mistimed ,not easy to defend it though .

There was nothing mistimed about it. He flew in, two footed and flying off the ground. He was obviously frustrated at how little Airdrie had a grip of the game and lashed out but he could’ve very easily broke McHughs leg. 

If the roles were reversed you’d be hoping McCabe was critical of the ref. 

21 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

It was literally the definition of an utter shitebags tackle. 

46 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It was literally the definition of an utter shitebags tackle. 

I have kept my council on this since the game,news there in person and it looked a 'good' yellow bordering on a red at the time,  watching it back it was a shocker we don't need to see someone carted off just to justify it,  it should have been a red, McMaster got away with it,  as the game was live on TV (are us and Ayr big time) everything gets scrutinized,  that's their job,  do not have a problem with Stewart, Brown or any of the TV saps...

Are Airdrie fans getting a little precious,  no one likes us we don't care,  and I couldn't give a flying f*** what others think about us,  

I am far more concerned about how easy a limited Ayr team have managed to take 12 points off us this season,  as we get ready to go to another of  our 'bogey' grounds as we continue our recent quest for the promotion playoffs..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I have kept my council on this since the game,news there in person and it looked a 'good' yellow bordering on a red at the time,  watching it back it was a shocker we don't need to see someone carted off just to justify it,  it should have been a red, McMaster got away with it,  as the game was live on TV (are us and Ayr big time) everything gets scrutinized,  that's their job,  do not have a problem with Stewart, Brown or any of the TV saps...

Are Airdrie fans getting a little precious,  no one likes us we don't care,  and I couldn't give a flying f*** what others think about us,  

I am far more concerned about how easy a limited Ayr team have managed to take 12 points off us this season,  as we get ready to go to another of  our 'bogey' grounds as we continue our recent quest for the promotion playoffs..

Raith will be wondering that about us ,

Another match preview and for tomorrow night we'll be without Rae, McStravick & once again, Murray Aiken. It's looking very much like his season is over and appears that he's had a set back with his recovery which is extremely disappointing and lost season for the boy.

Perhaps we can get him back next season as he'll be way down the pecking order with Hibs especially with their recent investment. 

23 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Another match preview and for tomorrow night we'll be without Rae, McStravick & once again, Murray Aiken. It's looking very much like his season is over and appears that he's had a set back with his recovery which is extremely disappointing and lost season for the boy.

Perhaps we can get him back next season as he'll be way down the pecking order with Hibs especially with their recent investment. 

Yeah I reckon Aiken will be back next season. He seemed very well suited to the team earlier in the season and as you say, certainly won’t be going back to Hibs to be part of the first team squad, so another loan spell makes a lot of sense. Of the Hibs loanees I think Megwa will be back in their first team squad, Aiken will stay for another season here and O’Connor will end up at a team like Stirling Albion.

Had a quick look at the consilium list on transfermarkt and noticed that Gabby McGill has changed agencies to 'CAA Base'. Wonder if this will be his last season in a diamond.

It's been a big step up for him and his injuries haven't helped but felt that McGill and Todorov were forming an great partnership up front together.

His goal at Hamilton was probably the most important goal Airdrie have scored in the last decade and at points last season in league 1 he was unplayable.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things but I'd be sorry to see him go as he's been here the past 3 seasons and seems like a really likeable guy.

Recruitment will be interesting next season, agree that Aiken will probably be back here next season, Chris Mochrie is a shoe-in to sign for us and perhaps Ben Wilson? 

22 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Had a quick look at the consilium list on transfermarkt and noticed that Gabby McGill has changed agencies to 'CAA Base'. Wonder if this will be his last season in a diamond.

It's been a big step up for him and his injuries haven't helped but felt that McGill and Todorov were forming an great partnership up front together.

His goal at Hamilton was probably the most important goal Airdrie have scored in the last decade and at points last season in league 1 he was unplayable.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things but I'd be sorry to see him go as he's been here the past 3 seasons and seems like a really likeable guy.

Recruitment will be interesting next season, agree that Aiken will probably be back here next season, Chris Mochrie is a shoe-in to sign for us and perhaps Ben Wilson? 

Yeah I think the forward areas will see the most change this summer, which while there’s other factors to it is hard to argue with given the number of goals scored this season. Todorov will likely stay unless someone comes in with a much better offer but I could see McGill moving back down to England and I’ve already said that I feel Gallagher will be away in the summer. Would be sad to see the latter two go, as you say McGill popped up with a moment that we’ll all remember for a long time (as well as quite a few other important goals) and is incredibly likeable.

12 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I reckon Aiken will be back next season. He seemed very well suited to the team earlier in the season and as you say, certainly won’t be going back to Hibs to be part of the first team squad, so another loan spell makes a lot of sense. Of the Hibs loanees I think Megwa will be back in their first team squad, Aiken will stay for another season here and O’Connor will end up at a team like Stirling Albion.

Did you watch Megwa last Friday,no ready for step up any time soon, imo ,

11 hours ago, Mr November said:

I feel Gallagher will be away in the summer. 

Aye, defo this.  A real shame and genuinely one of my favourite players to wear the diamond.  An enigma sometimes, missing open goals from a yard, but then turning in goals like against Bohemians coming in from the wing, Overhead kick against Clyde or his worldie against Kelty.  He's given us some incredible moments, at League 1 level mind you, but he done it in a diamond.  He's still only 29/30 so still plenty time to become adored by another set of fans.  I can see him ending up at a decent paying EK (if they get into L2), he can carry on his extra part time stuff, decent wage, 15 mins from Giffnock (I think that's round about where he stays??).  Whatever he does, he'll go with nothing but best wishes from me anyway.

If all Gal had done for us was that last-minute winner at Falkirk he'd be in cult hero territory, but he's done a hell of a lot more, and his barra-full of awards last season is testament to that.  He's maybe hit his ceiling, and there's no shame in that.  If he goes, he'll go with thanks for all he's given us over the last few years.  I wouldn't be against him staying, personally, but he may rightly feel that at his age and with his track record he can get more football elsewhere, as he's maybe unlikely to be a regular first pick for us in this league.