Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Some amount of goals we've scored from corners this season.

Edit:  Well, from set plays in general.

Yeah, credit to Fordyce for that, he’s produced some really interesting and effective set plays this season. Makes a huge difference, in a league when every game is so tight being a real threat from set pieces can be crucial.

Anyone know why there was only one stand open today? Would have thought Morton brought a big enough travelling support to justify opening a second stand, even behind the goals like for the Ayr game. Could it have been security related, as I assume the decision to switch dugouts again was?

6 minutes ago, WL Diamond said:

Anyone know why there was only one stand open today? Would have thought Morton brought a big enough travelling support to justify opening a second stand, even behind the goals like for the Ayr game. Could it have been security related, as I assume the decision to switch dugouts again was?

Decision to not open a second stand, even the small one, would be purely financial. If they can be safely squeezed into ours then that's always going to happen.

Some of the football in the first half was some of the best we have played all season, especially with the conditions today.

Charlie Telfer strolled the midfield, probably his best game in an Airdrie shirt and I'm delighted he got a goal today, probably unlucky not to get man of the match too.

Feels like we are also starting to peak at the right time, which was similar to last season, if we are able to make a push to get into the play offs, then who knows. 

I didn't think Morton's hammer throwing tactics were that bad in our other games this season, but I know what fans of other teams were meaning about them now, genuinely embarrassing at times.

Onto Tuesday now to see if we can continue to be Raith's bogey team. 

19 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Serious question (although maybe I’m getting carried away): who was the last player we had with the cult hero status amongst the fanbase that Todorov has at the moment?

Going back a few years,  how about Jimmy Lister

7 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Serious question (although maybe I’m getting carried away): who was the last player we had with the cult hero status amongst the fanbase that Todorov has at the moment?

How do we define cult hero though? I’d have it for players who are loved even though their football doesn’t neccessarily merit it e.g. Wullie Wilson 

Toddy’s been really good since the QP comeback. He’s more of a straight up Bulgarian Andy Smith for me!!! 

Can look awkward but big, powerful, a nightmare for defences and can finish. A hero. ♦️👍🏻

8 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Jim lister maybe,

22 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

4th place got to be the target and to bumper crowds in the play offs, at least).

Playoffs aren't that great a money spinner as the SPFL take 50% (after costs) to pay for the relegation parachute payment.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

It was more ironic given he was guff up until then but I’ll remember those three weeks where Afolabi had a song, continued to be rubbish and then turned into prime Olivier Giroud in the play-offs for a long time. 

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It was more ironic given he was guff up until then but I’ll remember those three weeks where Afolabi had a song, continued to be rubbish and then turned into prime Olivier Giroud in the play-offs for a long time. 

Yeah, that was some laugh.

Davie Hutton would maybe be in with a shout.  Prunts, obviously.

Just now, A Diamond For Me said:

Hutton is a good shout. Quite funny how he seems to be disliked by fans of most of his previous clubs too, which probably adds to it.

Prunty is just a hero. Important that when McCabe inevitably moves on we keep Prunty around in some form. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Playoffs aren't that great a money spinner as the SPFL take 50% (after costs) to pay for the relegation parachute payment.

Even 50% (or slightly less) of a home tie with Partick (crowd 6000+ I'd imagine) would still be a decent bonus for a club our size. But you're right not exactly a 'money spinner'. However the increase in prize money is the bigger thing, think I'm right that it increases quite significantly from 5th to 4th, nearly 100k? For us that's 2 or 3 good players next year.

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

How do we define cult hero though? I’d have it for players who are loved even though their football doesn’t neccessarily merit it e.g. Wullie Wilson 

Toddy’s been really good since the QP comeback. He’s more of a straight up Bulgarian Andy Smith for me!!! 

Can look awkward but big, powerful, a nightmare for defences and can finish. A hero. ♦️👍🏻

11 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Hutton is a good shout. Quite funny how he seems to be disliked by fans of most of his previous clubs too, which probably adds to it.

Prunty is just a hero. Important that when McCabe inevitably moves on we keep Prunty around in some form. 

I think that definition is spot on, which is why I'd say Hutton is a great shout. He wasn't bad for us, but wasn't great either, he would have been another entirely forgettable goalkeeper if it was just down to his goalkeeping ability (which is why every other club doesn't seem to remember him very fondly).

But 3 factors make him arguably cult status. His penalty save/reaction against Celtic (helped by that photograph), his 'ability' to wind up opposition fans, and more recently his appearances as a substitute goalie last year when we were milking the emergency loan system, including a penalty save against Dunfermline.