Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Sounds promising, I believe also Lewis McGregor recently signed a new deal as well.

If Frizz has signed a new deal then I think its only Ballantyne and Telfer we're waiting on.

Would be hopeful coaching commitments locally would help with Ballantyne.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Sounds promising, I believe also Lewis McGregor recently signed a new deal as well.

If Frizz has signed a new deal then I think its only Ballantyne and Telfer we're waiting on.

I think Charlie will be away tbh. Took him so long to sign the last time while looking for something more lucrative, I just think he'll be the same again. It just so happens that this time he's had a belter of a season, so there will be suitors.

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think Charlie will be away tbh. Took him so long to sign the last time while looking for something more lucrative, I just think he'll be the same again. It just so happens that this time he's had a belter of a season, so there will be suitors.

Yeah I agree, he'll get a better offer elsewhere and I'm sure he'll take it. 

It'll be a sorer loss than Fordyce imo but hopefully get either Lyall or Aiken back in to replace him.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

It'll be a sorer loss than Fordyce imo but hopefully get either Lyall or Aiken back in to replace him.

I disagree simply because Dycey is much harder to replace like for like as so few players with his profile exist at our level.

3 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I think both Telfer and ATS are coaches for the same company that McCabe works for 'Planet Soccer'.

The club might offer ATS the assistant role and Telfer as a player coach. 

It might not mean much or count for anything but I'm hoping that if McCabe is staying that would help convince Telfer to stay. 

13 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I disagree simply because Dycey is much harder to replace like for like as so few players with his profile exist at our level.

Dycey been solid yeah but I'd be confident McCabe could find another solid enough centre half. 

I thought Telfers work rate was tremendous this season and I think guys like him are harder to come by.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The mood music wasn't good in playoff Second leg when Telfer got subbed for Donnell,    alright Telfer was on a booking, but he was and is our most creative midfielder, corner kick taker, chance creater and when we needed him most he was yanked,  watching it back Charlie was not happy is there more to it,  or was Rhys just playing the narrative to a tee....

Telfer is Edinburgh based and is a very good football player,  players like him command a decent wage quite rightly, are Airdrie prepared to push the boat out for his type of quality, or go down the cheaper option of the highly rated Gavin Gallagher.....

Raith looks an ideal fit for Telfer if he knocks us back with Turner away......

Hopefully we offer him Frizz and Ballantyne 2 year deals that is another issue we could delve deeper in ,  why do we not offer multi year deals to our core players....

Would think Telfer would have plenty offers, Thistle, Livi, Raith maybe even back to Falkirk, all of whom would pay more than us. Its an inevitable consequence of doing well last season on a small budget, just need to hope Rhys can continue to spot players with potential that have been overlooked elsewhere and get the the best from the loan market. I would think we wil be competing with Hamilton and Morton in terms of wages with others in the division paying more.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Pretty sure he signed fairly quickly after the play offs last year. I think he appreciates that he’s found a place where he can play his best football and will stay as a result.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Passionate said:

The mood music wasn't good in playoff Second leg when Telfer got subbed for Donnell,    alright Telfer was on a booking, but he was and is our most creative midfielder, corner kick taker, chance creater and when we needed him most he was yanked,  watching it back Charlie was not happy is there more to it,  or was Rhys just playing the narrative to a tee....

Telfer is Edinburgh based and is a very good football player,  players like him command a decent wage quite rightly, are Airdrie prepared to push the boat out for his type of quality, or go down the cheaper option of the highly rated Gavin Gallagher.....

Raith looks an ideal fit for Telfer if he knocks us back with Turner away......

Hopefully we offer him Frizz and Ballantyne 2 year deals that is another issue we could delve deeper in ,  why do we not offer multi year deals to our core players....

Who says we don't? I'm certain the club would have loved to have given them 2 or 3 year deals. Often it is the player who doesn't want it. Think back to last year we were relegation favourites, Frizz and Ballantyne had spent years in League 1, why would they commit to a 2nd or 3rd year when we could have been relegated and they'd be back in League 1 again at the prime of their career? On a one year deal they have their pick of a few clubs should we get relegated.

Any player who is an established player who would easily get a Championship club isn't going to tie themselves to a club who are seen as likely relegation material. Multi-year deals are limited to younger players making their way in the game (McMaster), players who would probably struggle to get another Championship club (Watson last year, although now he probably would) or guys who extended their contract mid-season when they see the club isn't get relegated. I think another solid season in the Championship and we'd be able to start getting our better players on multi-year deals. At the moment there is still that feeling that we aren't an established Championship club so it's a risk for a player to commit for more than a year.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

I think both Telfer and ATS are coaches for the same company that McCabe works for 'Planet Soccer'.

The club might offer ATS the assistant role and Telfer as a player coach. 

It might not mean much or count for anything but I'm hoping that if McCabe is staying that would help convince Telfer to stay. 

Certain that Telfer could get more money elsewhere, but you'd hope that given where his career was for a couple of years he'd realise the value of (presumably) enjoying his football and playing somewhere where he is showing his best. But that's easy to say when it's not my bank account that's affected and he's probably only got one big-ish move left.

I did think him being subbed in the play-off final for Aiken was a bizarre move, I didn't get that at all. Not saying we'd necessarily have got anything but I'm sure we'd have had more chance with him on the park.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Certain that Telfer could get more money elsewhere, but you'd hope that given where his career was for a couple of years he'd realise the value of (presumably) enjoying his football and playing somewhere where he is showing his best. But that's easy to say when it's not my bank account that's affected and he's probably only got one big-ish move left.

I did think him being subbed in the play-off final for Aiken was a bizarre move, I didn't get that at all. Not saying we'd necessarily have got anything but I'm sure we'd have had more chance with him on the park.

He had already been booked and then committed another foul. Next foul and he would be off. It was clearly tactical to avoid going down to ten men.

i actually think we will do pretty well from loan signings this year. Could be wrong but suspect clubs will see us a decent option for their decent prospects due to the footie we play. Social media spent enough time wanking over some of our play so hopefully raised our profile a bit

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Things will start to unravel quickly , expect the released list to be out early next week,  and pre season starts roughly third week in June,   plenty time for signings etc,   as stated previously the club made substantial prize money this season,   I would like every available resource to be given to Rhys to bolster the side in this championship,  not to get spunked on running a reserve team or under 19s which was basically the same thing,  The Academy will be a massive drain on resources IMO,  is it worth it.. 

Look at Hamilton in order for them to try and compete with crowds roughly the same as us, they have put prices up to £ 26 that's scandalous,  not advocating we do the same, but we are in a league with some pretty big fanbase now,      how much golddust can Rhys McCabe sprinkle before it runs out....

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

He had already been booked and then committed another foul. Next foul and he would be off. It was clearly tactical to avoid going down to ten men.

i actually think we will do pretty well from loan signings this year. Could be wrong but suspect clubs will see us a decent option for their decent prospects due to the footie we play. Social media spent enough time wanking over some of our play so hopefully raised our profile a bit

If anything that makes it even worse for me. I get that if we were winning and protecting something. But we're 2-1 down with 25 minutes to go in a play-off, we were already out as things stood and needed a goal, you need your most creative players on the pitch. I'd rather take the small risk that he gets sent-off and keep our most creative player (with no Frizz either) to get a goal. He's an experienced player and doesn't have a history of being sent-off, I'm sure he would have used his head. All about opinions but I thought that was a poor decision and he was right to be frustrated by it.

14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Things will start to unravel quickly , expect the released list to be out early next week,  and pre season starts roughly third week in June,   plenty time for signings etc,   as stated previously the club made substantial prize money this season,   I would like every available resource to be given to Rhys to bolster the side in this championship,  not to get spunked on running a reserve team or under 19s which was basically the same thing,  The Academy will be a massive drain on resources IMO,  is it worth it.. 

Look at Hamilton in order for them to try and compete with crowds roughly the same as us, they have put prices up to £ 26 that's scandalous,  not advocating we do the same, but we are in a league with some pretty big fanbase now,      how much golddust can Rhys McCabe sprinkle before it runs out....

With respect, I'm not sure what that has to do with the original point. You said the club wasn't offering 2+ year deals, I'm certain they'd be handing out 2 year deals to our best players if they wanted them, but for reasons explained above I don't think those players generally will. 

27 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yeah I think at 28/29 he's probably got one more big move left and if for instance he got offered a two year deal at Thistle, then fair play to him and he'd leave with my best wishes.

We've done very well over the last few seasons to retain a lot of our best players and keep the core of a very good team together. Let's hope we can do similar this season.

Raith have taken one player each from us in the past 3 seasons, Easton, Smith and now Fordyce, Murray has a history of signing players who he has worked with before so I wouldn't be surprised if he was interested in signing McInroy over the likes of Telfer.

Our best signing this season will McCabe's contract extension, even if players do leave, he's got a great track record of recruiting young players in and improving them, so I'm optimistic if players do leave that we will find suitable replacements. 

57 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

With respect, I'm not sure what that has to do with the original point. You said the club wasn't offering 2+ year deals, I'm certain they'd be handing out 2 year deals to our best players if they wanted them, but for reasons explained above I don't think those players generally will. 

I would be certain that Rhys would have been offered 3 or 4 years (perhaps he has) if he wanted it given that he's currently a huge asset and it increases the fee if someone came in for him.

Have we ever made a signing stating the length of a players contract? I've missed it if we have and it only becomes apparent 12 months later when squad announcements are made. Don't anyone suggest transfrmrkt!

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Have we ever made a signing stating the length of a players contract? I've missed it if we have and it only becomes apparent 12 months later when squad announcements are made. Don't anyone suggest transfrmrkt!

Hugo Faria 

Morning folks, I am following up for those brilliant folk who sent emails to local representatives (for those that did not, it is not too late - please see template below!). May I please ask that you send the below fellow up email? It is great to see Falkirk-based reps stepping up and that this email campaign has proven effective in getting on the agenda of senior Ministers. But we need more momentum and we really need reps from other areas to do likewise! Thanks!

Follow up email template:

Good morning,

I am writing to follow up on my email from Tuesday. I would like to draw your attention to the positive support from Falkirk-based representatives. I please request that you write similar letters to the Minister and Mr Doncaster, the SPFL CEO, and share these letter publicly to demonstrate your support.

Letters to Minister for Social Care, Mental Wellbeing and Sport and Doncaster from Cllrs and MSPs here:

- Cllr Euan Stainbank https://twitter.com/Euan4FKSouth/status/1795844057912270971

- Cllr James Bundy  https://twitter.com/jamesbundy/status/1795770713036754959

- Two MSPs, Michael Matheson and Michelle Thompson have wrote to the Minister too, but they haven't made their letters public.

As you can see, the representatives have naturally focused on the Falkirk region. I would please ask similar letters could be sent on in the interests of constituents of Kirkcaldy and Fife. I would also stress that the vote on banning artificial pitches is likely to occur imminently, as such I would please request that action is expedited on this case.

Many and sincere thanks,

Your name

On 28/05/2024 at 11:16, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Hi folks, I am following up on the idea that I floated in various threads to write to local representatives to try and prevent the ban on artificial pitches in Scottish Premiership. 

If you read the Consultation paper, it is crystal clear that the ban is unfair and regressive - the recommendations for ensuring quality artificial pitches are sound.

Numbers and momentum is everything, so please, please do email (if you have 5 minutes for reading nonsense on P&B you have 2 mins to send two emails!). I recommend sending two emails, one to your MSP and one to your councillor/council lead.

I have created a draft email to copy and paste. I have also included instructions for who to email for rovers fans in Kirkcaldy (perhaps some kind soul could do similar for their own team in Airdrie/Falkirk/Dumfries/Hamilton/Cove respectively. I have left the Rovers version below as a template). I also have included how to find who to email. Thanks folks!

EMAIL SUBJECT LINE: RE: Potential ban of artificial surfaces in the Scottish Premiership

Dear NAME OF MSP/COUNCILLOR,

Purpose of writing

I am writing to raise concerns about the potential ban of artificial surfaces in the Scottish Premiership. There is a proposed vote taking place in the coming weeks. This vote will only be open to current Premiership clubs with the vote being for a blanket ban of artificial surfaces from season 2026/27.

Facts of the case

I would like to draw your attention to this joint statement provided by several clubs who presently have artificial surfaces (Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Queen of the South and Hamilton Academical), and especially to the detailed position paper which sets out a series of arguments and recommendations to allow artificial surfaces to continue to be used. The joint statement is here: https://www.raithrovers.net/artificial-pitch-statement; the consultation paper is here (created by the four aforementioned clubs alongside Airdrieonians and Cove Rangers): https://online.publuu.com/516411/1157872

Key points: Artificial surfaces are permitted at the very pinnacle of the game, being used in Champions League fixtures. There is therefore no good argument for banning them with regards to quality. Banning artificial surfaces would have a deleterious effect on sporting integrity and, most importantly, have a devastating impact on various clubs’ capacity to act as a sustainable community hub, providing a basis for boys, girls and women’s football to thrive.

Request

I would like to request:

a) Public support of the consultation paper and to advocate that a ban on artificial pitches should not be permitted.

b) That this issue is raised with appropriate senior ministers with the request to support the consultation paper and to advocate that a ban on artificial pitches should not be permitted.

c) Raising the issue directly with the SPFL, the Scottish football governing body, to advocate that the consultation paper’s recommendations be accepted and a ban on artificial pitches should not be permitted.

Yours Sincerely,

YOUR FULL NAME:

YOUR HOME ADDRESS:

Find your MSP here: https://www.parliament.scot/msps; find your local councillor here: https://www.gov.uk/find-your-local-councillors

For Rovers fans in Kirkcaldy I recommend contacting a) David Torrance, MSP for Kirkcaldy here: David.Torrance.msp@parliament.scot and b) Cllr. David Ross, who is leader of Fife Council and represents Kirkcaldy North, here: cllr.david.ross@fife.gov.uk For Rovers fans, here is the link to Fife councillors:  https://www.fife.gov.uk/kb/docs/articles/about-your-council2/politicians-and-committees/your-local-councillors/councillor;