Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Here's my guess at Airdrie photo. I think it is from 1975. Here goes Back row- ?, Paul Jonquin, ?, Jim Black, Marshall Poulton, Mark Cowan, ?, John Menzies, ?, Middle row- Willie McGuire, Stuart Gallagher, John Lapsley, Dave McWilliams, ?, Willie McCulloch, ?, Ally M Roberts, Billy Wilson, Front row- Kevin McCann, Billy Houlston, ?, Jim March, Sandy Clark, Derek Whiteford, ?, Norrie Anderson, John McVeigh, Tommy Reynolds.

17 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Ben Wilson inbound 👀🤞

Screenshot_20240623_183710_Chrome.jpg

I think that will make it 19 players on the current Consilium list who currently play for Airdrie or have done within the last three years :lol: 

Ben Doak to join on loan to make it 20.

Just now, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Looks good scoring a hat trick

His last goal on this reel appeals to me as its a really classy finish and not many strikers at this level are as composed as this. There are probably other facets of his game that are not as good and unsure how NI League compares with ours (Andy Ryan was top goalscorer last year) but a good sign.

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

His last goal on this reel appeals to me as its a really classy finish and not many strikers at this level are as composed as this. There are probably other facets of his game that are not as good and unsure how NI League compares with ours (Andy Ryan was top goalscorer last year) but a good sign.

Don't want to get too excited until the ink is dry,    as we know strikers in Scotland at all levels are like hens teeth these days,  you see the apparent clamour for McGill that shows it and Ayr going big on Oakley..

The Irish league has more value and bang for your buck,   Andy Ryan is still banging them in for champions Larne,  Ben Wilson who scored 18 on paper should be an excellent signing,   and we were apparently enquiring(in press) about David Fisher of Glentoran although they were looking for around 50k for him,  Wilson had the best minutes to goals ratio in the league avg a goal every 60 minutes...

It looks an important part of the jigsaw,  if he signs that will be 19 what other areas do we need to strengthen...

30 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Don't want to get too excited until the ink is dry,    as we know strikers in Scotland at all levels are like hens teeth these days,  you see the apparent clamour for McGill that shows it and Ayr going big on Oakley..

The Irish league has more value and bang for your buck,   Andy Ryan is still banging them in for champions Larne,  Ben Wilson who scored 18 on paper should be an excellent signing,   and we were apparently enquiring(in press) about David Fisher of Glentoran although they were looking for around 50k for him,  Wilson had the best minutes to goals ratio in the league avg a goal every 60 minutes...

It looks an important part of the jigsaw,  if he signs that will be 19 what other areas do we need to strengthen...

Gal, Gabby and O’Connor pitched in for 21 goals between them last season. So I still think we could do with another forward of some repute, given we didn’t score enough goals last season. And will Wilson (assuming he does sign) and Reid get those 21 goals or more between them? Not sure! And that’s not taking into account whether or not Todorov scores his dozen or more again. 

Another proper centre-half to play beside Aidan Wilson has to be the other priority. 

34 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Gal, Gabby and O’Connor pitched in for 21 goals between them last season. So I still think we could do with another forward of some repute, given we didn’t score enough goals last season. And will Wilson (assuming he does sign) and Reid get those 21 goals or more between them? Not sure! And that’s not taking into account whether or not Todorov scores his dozen or more again. 

Another proper centre-half to play beside Aidan Wilson has to be the other priority. 

You would hope Todorov could get 12-15 goals as he is likely to play more in the first half of the season than he did at the start of last season, hoping McStravick can get more as well if he gets a god run in the team.

36 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Was thinking about a centre half,  but with Rhys and ATS signed as players,,  not sure if we will go down the new signing route for centre half,   I still think an experienced midfielder to replace Telfer is needed,  

25 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Was thinking about a centre half,  but with Rhys and ATS signed as players,,  not sure if we will go down the new signing route for centre half,   I still think an experienced midfielder to replace Telfer is needed,

Ideally we would get both but think we might need to wait for the loan market to fill out some of these places, I can't see ATS playing much this season, Rhys will likely play more. 

21 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Both required for me, potentially loanees but most of them tend to come nearer the end of window.

If indeed Wilson does sign then the balance up front looks not too bad with him, 2 big guys Todorov & Reid and the pace of McGregor.

wilson.thumb.png.6b51e8cac74a491fc24e20699c52cefa.png

Interested to see how he gets on.

~ average finisher who gets a lot of chances and does that translate to Airdrie in the Championship?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

wilson.thumb.png.6b51e8cac74a491fc24e20699c52cefa.png

Interested to see how he gets on.

~ average finisher who gets a lot of chances and does that translate to Airdrie in the Championship?

It’s more his movement that I’ve been impressed with and that excites me. Finishing can always be improved on but a striker with movement like that is a bit harder to find imo

15 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Looks like a good signing on the face of it, good to be bringing in a recognized striker to replace to Gal, wonder if @Jacksgrandahas any thoughts on Wilson as he keeps up with NI football I think?

Cliftonville have been a top 3/4 side in the NI Premier for as long as I can remember & would survive comfortably at Scottish Championship level were they playing here week-in-week-out.

Larne & arguably Linfield could be bottom half SPFL Premier teams, the rest- Cliftonville, Crusaders, Coleraine, Glentoran are all about Championship standard.

Looks a great signing for Airdrie.