Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

9 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

@Skyline Drifter shed any light bud?

You're allowed a maximum of 5 players on loan from within Scotland (player's nationality is irrelevant).

You can have another handful from 'abroad' which includes England obviously. There is a limit to the international loans you can have but not sure what it is. It's at least another 5.

I think MacDonald was far better when we reverted to a back 4 and the subs came on. Actually thought Watson has made the most mistakes and looked least capable of the defenders so far, I’d feel much more confident with another centre half in there beside Wilson than him going into the Championship. Maybe another Wilson?…😂

8 hours ago, BigDi@mond said:

I think MacDonald was far better when we reverted to a back 4 and the subs came on. Actually thought Watson has made the most mistakes and looked least capable of the defenders so far, I’d feel much more confident with another centre half in there beside Wilson than him going into the Championship. Maybe another Wilson?😂

What's big Scoobie up to these days?

56 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Anyone know how many we’re taking up tonight? Be good to see a decent away support but appreciate Tuesday and on the TV might impact it!

I believe we were sent 300 by Aberdeen so maybe some Aberdeen sweetie paper rustling will be challenged.

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

Anyone know how many we’re taking up tonight? Be good to see a decent away support but appreciate Tuesday and on the TV might impact it!

Numbers will also be affected by folk on holiday, I'd be there, but tuning in from Spain tonight. Safe journey to all travelling ♦️♦️

Ticket situation regrading this game is appalling. Surely this is lead by both clubs and not the police? How can we encourage fans to make the journey when restricted availability to buy tickets? These league cup games should be cash/contactless on the gate. Its not as if the surge would be enormous that stewards and police couldn't manage but certainly beneficial to, say, an extra 100 airdrie fans being able to attend at late notice to support their team?

I see the home end still available. 

Came across this at the weekend but two years ago today we lost 3-0 to Arbroath in the League Cup. We had a reasonably strong starting 11 that day (albeit David Hutton started in goals and Cole Gibson also started) but quite funny comparing our bench tonight with the bench that day, which consisted of an injured Josh Rae, Ally Spalding, Josh Tran, Kyan Gunn and Salim :lol:

56 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Wilson looks a serious find.

Looks like exactly the kind of player we lacked last season. Good movement, great awareness in the box and clinical finishing. Slightly different kind of player but seems like an upgraded and quicker Gal, which is just what we needed. 

A lot to be happy with tonight. Looking at the other groups a win on Saturday should give us a good chance of going through as one of the best second placed teams given our goal difference.

Lots to be positive about. Wilson's finish might not look spectacular but it was clinical and is one that Todorov would have just lashed at and hoped for the best whereas Wilson calculated exactly what he was doing.

2 stupid goals to lose - not sure what Rhys is doing for the first one, it required a punt into the stand which he maybe doesn't like doing, but it's what was needed, really poor decision making. The 2nd goal is what you'll get from McMaster from time to time.

Really encouraged overall but that 2nd centre half position is what worries me. Going into the season with Janny and Rhys as the options there risks undoing a lot of good work. I get the impression we had planned to bring Wilson alongside Fordyce (which would have been ideal) but obviously what happened happened and we've been left short. Really hoping the Todorov salary can be put towards someone in that position.

A win against Queens should put us in with a good chance of qualifying which would be another impressive start to the season.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

100% need another centre half.

Thought Hancock was good tonight.  McDonald was really good in spells, got stuck in, loved a tackle but got caught out of position a few times.  A. Wilson did really well with recovery tackles but some of his passing put us under so much pressure. 

Proud of the way we played and fought for each other tonight against arguably the 3rd/4th best team in the country.  Gave a right good account of ourselves. Roll on Saturday

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Lots to be positive about. Wilson's finish might not look spectacular but it was clinical and is one that Todorov would have just lashed at and hoped for the best whereas Wilson calculated exactly what he was doing.

2 stupid goals to lose - not sure what Rhys is doing for the first one, it required a punt into the stand which he maybe doesn't like doing, but it's what was needed, really poor decision making. The 2nd goal is what you'll get from McMaster from time to time.

Really encouraged overall but that 2nd centre half position is what worries me. Going into the season with Janny and Rhys as the options there risks undoing a lot of good work. I get the impression we had planned to bring Wilson alongside Fordyce (which would have been ideal) but obviously what happened happened and we've been left short. Really hoping the Todorov salary can be put towards someone in that position.

A win against Queens should put us in with a good chance of qualifying which would be another impressive start to the season.

I think the fact that Rhys chose himself over Janny tells a story. Pretty sure there is a centre back incoming! Overall, I'm delighted.

I was at the game tonight and was very impressed with Airdrie, particularly in the first half. Seem to have a very fluid formation which caused Aberdeen a lot of problems. Hancock was excellent, best player on the park first half. Shame he never really showed anything for us (Arbroath) before his injury.

Have a feeling this could be a very good season for you.

Edited by Tattie36

Really good positive performance regardless of result, mcgregor going off at half time kind of killed us 2nd half. A win on Saturday surely will be enough to get us through. Imagine saying a couple of years ago we’d be able to go up to Aberdeen and compete against them, only way is up!

4 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Wilson looks a serious find.

Both Wilsons look to be finds IMO. 

Good effort tonight against what is a decent Premiership side. They ramped it up a bit in the 2nd-half but there was a lot to be positive about in terms of how we competed and moved the ball around. Top movement, awareness and finish from Ben Wilson for his goal. Still early days but hard to argue that he isn’t the real deal already, with 5 goals in 3 games and what must be a pretty good shot-to-goal ratio? Thought Aidan Wilson was maybe our best player on the night. Being described as a ‘ball playing defender’ when signed will always sound alarm bells in me. But, again, can’t argue with his contribution so far. He stepped up tonight and dealt with their forwards well. And he bailed McCabe out a fair few times. 

Which brings me on to the issue I think we’ve all discussed after every game. Our desperate need for another proper centre-half. The two goals we lost were sloppy. The second one was bad but I can accept, to some extent, that daft goals like that will happen sometimes with our style of play. The equaliser is inexcusable though. McCabe needs to launch that out the park and any proper centre-half worth their salt would have done. We got away with it with Fordyce for so long but having only one natural centre-half won’t wash anymore and will kill us with stupid goals like that, and the ones v Dumbarton, every week. 

I know some folk disagree but I think tonight also again showed why we still need another proper alternative or backup centre forward to Wilson. We lost something when McGregor went off and he’s not even a proper striker/forward.

Edited by airdrieman

Couldn't really see what happened at the second goal through the thick blizzard of seagulls.  Do they use fish guts as fertiliser for the pitch or something?  Never mind Hancock, it was like the game was being directed by Hitchcock ho ho ho.

My first game this season, and as others have said, lots of positives to take from it.  Impressed by both Wilsons in particular, and Murray Johnson looks in fine form - doesn't look like his relative lack of game time last season has set him back.  Rhys Armstrong also looks like a real find.

We won't play teams as poor as EK or Dumbarton in the league, but we won't play anyone as good as Aberdeen, either.  Feeling really positive about the season ahead!

Also, that new away top looks really good.

The Acid Test for this crop of players will have been the Aberdeen match - all of them showed up well and aside from an error here or there could’ve been a good result, but as I’ve said in the Cup thread this might’ve come a bit too soon.

Early days, of course, but I think Ben Wilson looks streets ahead of any striker we’ve had in the last 15-20 years. The composure he has and his finishing that he’s shown so far are so, so much better than what has gone before him. Hopefully he’s on a multi-year deal so we can net a decent fee should another team want him.

Rhys Armstrong is another one I’m extremely excited about. He floats with the ball, happy to have a bit of dig in the tackle as well… but early signs are very good.

It’s been a big squad turnover but Rhys/Jackie/Andy Young have done some job thus far. And to think I was getting worried after seeing Morton’s business early in the window.

From yesterday - definitely need another central defender, and as shown by the Dumbarton game, "the plan" for not having B Wilson available isn't very good, so need a solid backup there too.

8 minutes ago, G_H said:

From yesterday - definitely need another central defender, and as shown by the Dumbarton game, "the plan" for not having B Wilson available isn't very good, so need a solid backup there too.

This. The facebookers claiming we won’t miss Todorov don’t seem to appreciate he’d have been a good backup - and offers something different, which may have been useful at times (obviously Wilson looks a better player/finisher at this point - and I get why he’d have wanted to go). And another centre half would really help. Last night was the first game I’ve made this season and was really impressed with A Wilson though. Armstrong and MacDonald showed up well too and B Wilson finish was in keeping with what he’s already shown.  We’re already looking very decent especially given the turnaround in players.