Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

Apparently that was one of the issues with McGill he changed agents near the end of last season,  ironically Rhys never offered him a deal at all, would have thought somebody up here would have taken a punt on him,  last I heard he was trialling at Grimsby.

He did have a few offers here, turned Raith and St Johnstone down to try and get a deal back down south.

9 hours ago, Sub Parr said:

I thought he was going to do the business for us.

However I also thought the same about Leighton McIntosh. So what do I know.

I remember watching him a few games and I actually remember posting here saying he'd be in the Lowland league in a few years! I genuinely cannot believe this guy is actually still getting a deal with anyone in the SPFL. hopeless.

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Love something as much as Ally Roy loves the League Cup. 

These will be his only 4 performances of the season for them as per usual.

On 24/07/2024 at 22:35, AJ77 said:

As someone said earlier there’s no way we’ll hold out for 500 thousand for Hancock anything from 150 upwards with sell on fees would 100% be accepted.

I’ve no idea how you come up with a value.

Colin McGowan was asking for £350K when selling on behalf of Wotherspoon

Accounts are up on Companies House showing our last season in League 1 and we’d lost around £130k (we’ve sold Devenney and had a great season since the so hopefully last year is far better).

Last year prize money was up considerably. About £450K if I remember correctly. The difference between 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & 4th was about £90K

He’ll leave for nothing in the Summer but he could also be worth 9 points or a round in a Cup Competition before then with his crosses and goals. 

Throw all that into the mix and try to come up with the right number! 

IMG_2230.jpeg

Edited by CapitalDiamond

42 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I remember watching him a few games and I actually remember posting here saying he'd be in the Lowland league in a few years! I genuinely cannot believe this guy is actually still getting a deal with anyone in the SPFL. hopeless.

Always found it funny how he used to act all angry and aggressive whenever (in the rare occasion) he scored. 

15 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Fans estimations of transfer values, particularly at this level, are always wild. There's no danger we'll get anything close if we let him go this window, but likely anything creeping into six figures with a decent sell on will be enough. I guess the club will be looking for a £100k+ player sell every summer to boost the accounts.

40 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Love something as much as Ally Roy loves the League Cup. 

Incredible commitment to the bit when he went to Glentoran and scored as many goals in their League Cup as he did in the league. Only one goal in each right enough! 

To his credit he did score the winner in that 1-0 win at Dumbarton, one of the worst games of football ever seen, which kickstarted our run towards the play-off final that season. That’s about the only positive I can offer.

48 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Colin McGowan was asking for £350K when selling on behalf of Wotherspoon

Accounts are up on Companies House showing our last season in League 1 and we’d lost around £130k (we’ve sold Devenney and had a great season since the so hopefully last year is far better).

Last year prize money was up considerably. About £450K if I remember correctly. The difference between 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & 4th was about £90K

He’ll leave for nothing in the Summer but he could also be worth 9 points or a round in a Cup Competition before then with his crosses and goals. 

Throw all that into the mix and try to come up with the right number! 

IMG_2230.jpeg

Its just my opinion, we've sold Devenny for roughly 150 all in with a sell on clause added. Josh Edwards to went to Charlton for 90, granted he's a few years older than Hancock but is worth double or triple than Edwards in the market? Probably not, especially when his contracts up in the summer. I don't its difficult to come up with a rough estimate. 

Just now, AJ77 said:

It’s just my opinion, we've sold Devenny for roughly 150 all in with a sell on clause added. Josh Edwards to went to Charlton for 90, granted he's a few years older than Hancock but is worth double or triple than Edwards in the market? Probably not, especially when his contracts up in the summer. I don't it’s difficult to come up with a rough estimate. 

Yeah that’s a good point about Edwards. I think Hancock’s ceiling is probably a bit higher, but as you say you can’t imagine that would get you double the price. 

Sell on is interesting too. Would the buying club be prepared to give you 10%/20%. You might never see a penny but if he kicks on and an English Championship team will pay £5million for him you could have funded Airdrie for a couple of years. 

How good is it to see players moving on to bigger things though? Of guys who were our own players I can barely think of any that have gone on to Premier League in the last 20 years.

Watt, Lambie, Lithgow. Cadden

many more?

1 minute ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Yeah that’s a good point about Edwards. I think Hancock’s ceiling is probably a bit higher, but as you say you can’t imagine that would get you double the price. 

Sell on is interesting too. Would the buying club be prepared to give you 10%/20%. You might never see a penny but if he kicks on and an English Championship team will pay £5million for him you could have funded Airdrie for a couple of years. 

How good is it to see players moving on to bigger things though? Of guys who were our own players I can barely think of any that have gone on to Premier League in the last 20 years.

Watt, Lambie, Lithgow. Cadden

many more?

I doubt we'd get 20% sell on would think it would be nearer 10. 

Rae and Telfer moved to Premier league this summer, Mackay Steven and Gow the only others really I can think off. Rohan got a move to Motherwell but only played 1 or 2 games I think.

Quite difficult to estimate a value on Hancock but on finishing 4th in the league last season we got £430K whilst 5th place Morton got £331K. I assume the prize money is up this year but I'm pretty sure Rhys is planning on finishing top of the league and at the very least 4th and if he believes that keeping Hancock guarantees us finishing higher then he could persuade PH not to sell. He may think that Cammy Bruce can do equally well or that he can use the Hancock fee to replace with better.

So there is the possibility that a 100k wouldn't cut it but 300k most definitely would.

There is also a problem of trying to tell a player that you're not selling him to a club that trebling his wages!

Edited by Kenny_m

36 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Quite difficult to estimate a value on Hancock but on finishing 4th in the league last season we got £430K whilst 5th place Morton got £331K. I assume the prize money is up this year but I'm pretty sure Rhys is planning on finishing top of the league and at the very least 4th and if he believes that keeping Hancock guarantees us finishing higher then he could persuade PH not to sell. He may think that Cammy Bruce can do equally well or that he can use the Hancock fee to replace with better.

So there is the possibility that a 100k wouldn't cut it but 300k most definitely would.

There is also a problem of trying to tell a player that you're not selling him to a club that trebling his wages!

Yes but if he gets injured for the season we get nothing and he can’t play (Look at McStravick who might have moved in the summer the way he was progressing, now (if his deal is up at the end of the season) he could sign a pre-contract in January).

Glad I’m not making the decisions! 

Edited by CapitalDiamond

28 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Yes but if he gets injured for the season we get nothing and he can’t play (Look at McStravick who might have moved in the summer the way he was progressing, now (if his deal is up at the end of the season) he could sign a pre-contract in January).

Glad I’m not making the decisions! 

But here's the thing with McStravick, so far he really hasn't been worth the fee we paid for him. He was in and out of the side and although he was improving that's now been quite literally derailed. By the time he's fit he'll have been injured for as long if not longer than he's been fit for us and he's now going to need to get used to a whole new team around him. He's going to prove he was worth the investment and if he disappears elsewhere it will be a sore one and a fiscal loss but it won't massively damage us.

Hancock on the other hand is currently the beating heart of this team and our single most important cog along with B Wilson. He's the man that makes things happen. 

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

But here's the thing with McStravick, so far he really hasn't been worth the fee we paid for him. He was in and out of the side and although he was improving that's now been quite literally derailed. By the time he's fit he'll have been injured for as long if not longer than he's been fit for us and he's now going to need to get used to a whole new team around him. He's going to prove he was worth the investment and if he disappears elsewhere it will be a sore one and a fiscal loss but it won't massively damage us.

Hancock on the other hand is currently the beating heart of this team and our single most important cog along with B Wilson. He's the man that makes things happen. 

Yeah I agree Hancock would be a massive miss. His importance has never been clearer than in the Queen's Park game last season. After going off injured in the 2-0 win away at Tannadice he started on the bench and within a couple of minutes of coming on he took the ball and drove up half the park with it and scored a screamer. I know left back might not seem the most important position, but at the time it felt like nobody else in our team could have done that.

McStravick I like but I agree he's rarely been a massive standout and was a bit frustrating at times by either being a bit too soft/lightweight or taking a touch too many. Cracking goal in the Challenge Cup final but he'd passed up a few chances before that one where he should have been working the keeper (then scored the much more difficult chance). Still looking forward to his return and he's clearly very talented but if we're playing this same shape I'm not sure if I'd expect him to start regularly with the midfield options we have. If we shift to a 433 or 4231, like we did in the 5-2 win against Arbroath, then he can maybe force his way back in (him and Lyall ran riot that day), but would I expect him to start over the likes of Armstrong, Frizz, Mochrie in a narrower midfield role? Not sure.

Re ex players Ricki Lamie has done alright, currently with Ross County. 

Hancock started coming onto a game at the turn of the year/January, particularly the game at Hampden v Queen's Park, and was a standout for the remainder of the season.