Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Is Lewis Jamieson any good? 

Yes,  will score plenty goals if you play him as a striker,  if you play him right side,  he will struggle and have a bit of an attitude,  I would take him back in a minute.

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Is Lewis Jamieson any good? 

Been almost 2 years now so no idea how he has developed, very quick and could finish well. Not really sure where his best position is, I don't see him as a central striker on his own as he's not a player who can hold the ball up or win anything in the air, and he's not really a wide player either. At his best when running in behind, probably with a strike partner but doubt Raith will play that.

He liked a moan, I remember McCabe subbed him before half-time once as he wasn't pulling his weight and he had a tantrum on the touchline. Would imagine he's matured a bit though.

Jamieson’s best game for us was that time after a dreadful run when McCabe weirdly ditched his initial slow, ponderous possession style for one game against Montrose, when Jamieson played right on the shoulder of their defence and made Sean Dillon look every bit his age. He had Gallagher dropping deep that day to hold the ball up and link things with Jamieson purely focused on getting in behind. As others have said, he looked very good in that kind of role but never fully convinced as a wide player despite clearly being a talented player.

On 21/08/2024 at 04:20, G_H said:

If we take Rhys's notion that we should be in the promotion hunt seriously then players have to be judged against the level that the manager expects them to attain and to be able to handle the pressure that comes with that.

On 21/08/2024 at 09:08, Passionate said:

Do you rate Reid then on What you have seen so far...   opinion....

You can't judge a young lad on the amount of minutes he's played so far.  New team mates, new style of play, step up in level, all of these things would require him to at least get a run of games. It's highly unlikely that he'll get this unless Wilson gets injured so he's more likely to just get minutes here and there as a back up or if the manager believes he offers something different in a match. 

9 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Didn’t pay anything for Bruce as he terminated his deal

Pretty sure there would have been some kind of development fee due. (he declined our offer of a new contract and had been at QP for many years)

Edited by mcjameos

Some delusions of grandeur in this thread, perhaps some of us have played too much Football Manager & FIFA Career mode.

Hancock, a real good player for us, but the fact no one has paid his supposed £500k asking price suggests he probably isn’t worth that. As other have surmised and history has shown we’ll probably settle for a figure just over the £100k mark.

As for McMaster, I was a fully paid up card carrying Deano fanboy after the way he started last season but he has blown hot and cold, again I’d be very surprised if anyone was to take a punt on him for more than six figures. I was hoping he’d spend some time in the gym but he still looks like he’d get blown over by a stiff breeze and lower end Championship really looks like his level at the minute.

14 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Any word on if Aiden Wilson is fit and available for this week?

Confirmed on the OS ,  Wilson is out, along with McCabe and his dodgy calf,   with McMaster, Watson, Reid and McGregor out also ...

Not great,  could really do with another defender in..  or I don't see why ATS cannot step up to the plate,  they will only play Rudden up top anyway. 

On 21/08/2024 at 09:19, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

We will see the pen this week for sure as a deal is close for a young defender in on loan and it's not young Megwa although that still is being pursued I believe but he seems to be in Grays plans now at Hibs. I have not heard anything about forwards, well nothing concrete. I personally am quite happy with the squad we have but agree that a big target man would not go a miss, but they are hard to find so if not we just need to work on using the personnel much better on the park to support Ben Wilson in games like the last two as he was isolated and resulted in possession being gifted back most times. Looking forward to seeing Sam Graham this Saturday as he should add real steel to the defence and compliment Aiden Wilson very well. 

Rock,   You still confident of this loanee defender coming in,   just noticed the injury list and it's not great,  Aidan hasn't made it,  surely we cannot go into an important league game with full backs covering CH again even with Graham playing..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Rock,   You still confident of this loanee defender coming in, Just noticed the injury list and it's not great,  Aidan hasn't made it,  surely we cannot go into an important league game with full backs covering CH again even with Graham playing..

Yeah the injury list is a real worry just seen it on the pre match release from the club. Aidan was described as a niggle last week but seems to be more than that. With Watson and McCabe out as well I hope the deal for the young lad is through today as last I heard it was close. Guess we are at the mercy of the parent club or maybe he or his club has had 2nd thoughts after what they seen at close hand last weekend. I'll be watching for that pen later. 

That injury list is wild, Sincy might play! Would love to see the pen before kick off tomorrow but if I’m being honest I’d be hoping for a forward not a defender. A makeshift defence when we know we’ve got three to return from injury is fine for a game and the kind of thing that can happen at some point in the season, the fact Wilson (our most exciting signing who scored for fun in the League Cup group with McGregor next to him) has been completely isolated and ineffectual in the last three games (as a result of one injury to a player who wasn’t really a regular starter for much of last season) is a total waste of his talents. I like McGregor, but there’s no way he should be that important to the team. Surprised we still haven’t replaced Toddy as the club were under no obligation to release him.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Rock,   You still confident of this loanee defender coming in,   just noticed the injury list and it's not great,  Aidan hasn't made it,  surely we cannot go into an important league game with full backs covering CH again even with Graham playing..

ATS's fitness must be a huge concern though but I suppose at least he has the mindset to play there. Lets hope big Sam is up to the mark and maybe we do get another CB in today although 2 newbie CB's could also be a risk! Hancock is the best option to cover centre back but most of us agree that we lose so much impetus going forward when he's not a LB.

The midfield really need to step up tomorrow and show how could they really are.

15 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

Yeah the injury list is a real worry just seen it on the pre match release from the club. Aidan was described as a niggle last week but seems to be more than that. With Watson and McCabe out as well I hope the deal for the young lad is through today as last I heard it was close. Guess we are at the mercy of the parent club or maybe he or his club has had 2nd thoughts after what they seen at close hand last weekend. I'll be watching for that pen later. 

Is he from Dundee anychance ?

Revised team after injury update

Johnson

Macdonald        Graham       ATS      Hancock      Bruce

Agyemang              Armstrong             Frizzell

Mochrie

B.Wilson

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

ATS's fitness must be a huge concern though but I suppose at least he has the mindset to play there. Lets hope big Sam is up to the mark and maybe we do get another CB in today although 2 newbie CB's could also be a risk! Hancock is the best option to cover centre back but most of us agree that we lose so much impetus going forward when he's not a LB.

The midfield really need to step up tomorrow and show how could they really are.

Possibly a day for Rhys to put his principals to one side,   playing out from your goal line is HIGH RISK at best of times,  with bodies short and a dip in confidence,  play percentage football at the back,  get Rudden offside and lef our  playmakers play in their half,  if we don't and give QP easy possession in our half,  it could be a long afternoon again..