Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Of the new players we’ve signed I’d say it’s only really Dunlop who has proven not to be a Championship level player thus far. And that’s purely because for whatever reason McCabe hasn’t saw fit to use him. Maybe he doesn’t trust him yet, maybe he’s not and won’t be good enough in general. Perhaps Gallagher will be the same. But as for the rest - Todorov, Aiken and McMaster all look worthy of this level. O’Connor too, who while he has his faults, is definitely good enough to have a role in a Championship team. I suppose we can’t judge Hancock yet but he looked fine last week so hopefully he’ll also prove to be a good addition. 

Either way, I think it’s pointless to judge or write off the boy before we’ve even seen him play. 

If anyone had said in May that our squad would look like it is today then I'm sure there would have been universal outrage but alas, we've made a tremendous start to the season, much better than anyone could have imagined, and we are all confused. There will come a point when we lose 3 or 4 games in a row, it might even start tomorrow and we will then find out where we are.

Me, I'm firmly in we need better players than we had last year or it will come tumbling down. I hope those players are still to come in, or if not, I hope I've got it wrong.

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Of the new players we’ve signed I’d say it’s only really Dunlop who has proven not to be a Championship level player thus far. And that’s purely because for whatever reason McCabe hasn’t saw fit to use him. Maybe he doesn’t trust him yet, maybe he’s not and won’t be good enough in general. Perhaps Gallagher will be the same. But as for the rest - Todorov, Aiken and McMaster all look worthy of this level. O’Connor too, who while he has his faults, is definitely good enough to have a role in a Championship team. I suppose we can’t judge Hancock yet but he looked fine last week so hopefully he’ll also prove to be a good addition. 

Either way, I think it’s pointless to judge or write off the boy before we’ve even seen him play. 

We've only played 2 championship games and you may well be correct but not really a good sample batch to confirm.

Of course it's ludicrous to write off anyone before he's stepped on the grass although I don't think anyone has really suggested that. 

I agree that the first 11 is able to handle a majority of teams in the league. But, we are missing players is certain positions and we WILL get injuries/suspensions.  If that were to happen, I’d be happier with an experienced player coming in rather than GavGal (yes, I nicknamed him). No harm to the boy and I’m sure long term he’ll come good but we absolutely have to sign some better quality players.  I take others points, there is some time.  But if we’re sitting in the same position recruitment wise this time next month then I’m going to be fearful of how things pan out up until the January window opens.  The only thing that gives me confidence is Rhys. He’s a sensible guy with ambition and the last thing he needs on the resume is relegation on his first outing to the Championship.  He surely knows what’s needed, he needs to find those players - the sooner the better 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

The issue is not with the player, its the lack of a blended approach in transfer policy where instead almost every signing is an inexperienced youngster.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

We've only played 2 championship games and you may well be correct but not really a good sample batch to confirm.

Of course it's ludicrous to write off anyone before he's stepped on the grass although I don't think anyone has really suggested that. 

7 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Another bloody wean FFS

7 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

It's getting beyond a joke now. We have made one "decent" signing in Todorov. That's it. The rest are weans and maybes.

7 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Teams will be worried now,no disrespect to young lad but what a disappointment,you have got to be joking,

7 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Another totally pointless signing(on paper)… Why not just save the wage and get someone more experienced in? I think we have enough weans now 

I would file calling him a ‘bloody wean’, ‘a joke’ and ‘pointless’ in the writing him off category. 

Of course the season has been a small sample size so far. And maybe it will all come crashing down. But considering that we’ve only lost 1 game out of 7 in 90 minutes thus far, to say we haven’t signed anybody good bar Todorov and to infer that Gallagher won’t be any good because he’s inexperienced, is IMO OTT. I would like more experienced signings also. Indeed, I’ve been banging that particular drum since last season. But I’m not prepared to write him off before I even see him play. 

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I would file calling him a ‘bloody wean’, ‘a joke’ and ‘pointless’ in the writing him off category. 

Of course the season has been a small sample size so far. And maybe it will all come crashing down. But considering that we’ve only lost 1 game out of 7 in 90 minutes thus far, to say we haven’t signed anybody good bar Todorov and to infer that Gallagher won’t be any good because he’s inexperienced, is IMO OTT. I would like more experienced signings also. Indeed, I’ve been banging that particular drum since last season. But I’m not prepared to write him off before I even see him play. 

To be honest, people just want a player who has a track record in this league and can give the fans a wee buzz. 

We have only signed one player this window that fits that category and that’s Todorov. Aye, the ‘weans’ will develop and could make us money in the long run but we want and need players that can make a difference now. 

The whole point about ‘don’t write him off yet’ is exactly the issue - he’s unknown and untested. We should at least be able to check if a new signing is decent.

There’s no harm in wanting a bit of experience in the team or at least players who have had a go in the championship i.e Hancock…

16 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Another bloody wean FFS

16 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

It's getting beyond a joke now. We have made one "decent" signing in Todorov. That's it. The rest are weans and maybes.

16 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Teams will be worried now,no disrespect to young lad but what a disappointment,you have got to be joking,

16 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Another totally pointless signing(on paper)… Why not just save the wage and get someone more experienced in? I think we have enough weans now 

Fucking hell. McMaster and Aiken have looked excellent this season and they're of similar age.

We have a starting 11 with the exception of perhaps an actual left sided left back. We need squad depth and hopefully this boy can provide that although maybe not in the short term. If Rhys has demonstrated anything it's that he can identify decent young midfielders who can progress in their development and there is no reason to believe his judgment is lacking in this one.

Not to say I don't want to see some other signings but "experience" isn't always the way forward. We've had experienced players before who've been pish or their attitude has sucked. Rhys wants boys in who will fit into our dressing room as well as having ability to play and I'm with him on that. If young laddies come in with a point to prove and a bit of fire in their bellies that's a good thing for us provided that have the talent too.

I just don't get how you can all moan like f**k about a young boy being signed when on the whole the manager has a decent track record thus far.

19 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Just bought my first season ticket today. Does anyone who has bought one before know how long it takes to get the physical ticket?

You should get an email from the club when your card is ready to pick up. I’m not sure how long it takes as I bought mine when they first went on sale, and picked it up the week of the first game, but they’ll probably be available quicker than that. If you’re unsure I would give the club a call/email. 

16 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Funny how if you say it as it is on this site it's greeting or moaning ,stick this site ,just go and watch most weeks  that will do me ,and that started withJoe Caven Era,

I don’t know if you saw mate but I found this week that Joe Caven passed away a week or two ago. Last player to score 5 in a game for Airdrie and his scoring record was something like 57 goals in 105 appearances which is some feat! I think he was a Scottish Cup semi-finalist too? Sad news. RIP. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

You should get an email from the club when your card is ready to pick up. I’m not sure how long it takes as I bought mine when they first went on sale, and picked it up the week of the first game, but they’ll probably be available quicker than that. If you’re unsure I would give the club a call/email. 

I don’t know if you saw mate but I found this week that Joe Caven passed away a week or two ago. Last player to score 5 in a game for Airdrie and his scoring record was something like 57 goals in 105 appearances which is some feat! I think he was a Scottish Cup semi-finalist too? Sad news. RIP. 

Have seen that now,,  I watched him when it was the old leather ball and he was a boyhood hero of mine ,RIP  Joe,

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Fucking hell. McMaster and Aiken have looked excellent this season and they're of similar age.

We have a starting 11 with the exception of perhaps an actual left sided left back. We need squad depth and hopefully this boy can provide that although maybe not in the short term. If Rhys has demonstrated anything it's that he can identify decent young midfielders who can progress in their development and there is no reason to believe his judgment is lacking in this one.

Not to say I don't want to see some other signings but "experience" isn't always the way forward. We've had experienced players before who've been pish or their attitude has sucked. Rhys wants boys in who will fit into our dressing room as well as having ability to play and I'm with him on that. If young laddies come in with a point to prove and a bit of fire in their bellies that's a good thing for us provided that have the talent too.

I just don't get how you can all moan like f**k about a young boy being signed when on the whole the manager has a decent track record thus far.

I genuinely didn’t have the strength to wade into a debate with the moaning negativity brigade when I saw all this last night but your post sums it up perfectly for me @Mybitchunderprotest - thank you.

Just now, thediamonddude said:

I genuinely didn’t have the strength to wade into a debate with the moaning negativity brigade when I saw all this last night but your post sums it up perfectly for me @Mybitchunderprotest - thank you.

I should probably go back and caveat some of what I posted last night as I was genuinely quite pissed off with this signing (you won't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work that one out).

I'm not saying that we shouldn't sign promising young players, that's clearly the business model that we're going for and I genuinely don't have an issue with it, the Hamilton model of a decade or so ago is a good one to aspire to for us at the moment and will make the club sustainable.

However, there needs to be a big dose of reality as well here. At this point in the window, this is a hugely disappointing signing for numerous reasons and in the wider sense our transfer business has been quite disappointing generally. 

Todorov looks like he will be good for this level and brings a good, experienced head as well as an alternative style/option up front.

McMaster really looks like he will step up from what I've seen so far, he has clearly benefitted from a full season playing regularly in League 1 to bring his game on, I'm not sure the same can be said for McGregor Who I suspect (hope) will be more of an impact sub against tired defenders. Aiken has been better than O'Connor, but like McGregor does anyone want to see any of the three of them starting every week in the Championship?

I'll reserve judgement on Hancock until I see more of him, but again I'm not convinced he'll play every week but will be pleasantly surprised if he proves to be a great addition. He could be good and is at least versatile 

Yesterday's signing is in line with the Elliott Dunlop signing, a completely inexperienced kid, who has come from a higher level of club, but is really unlikely to feature much. He won't be getting paid much, but for me, that money would be better spent elsewhere.

My annoyance is probably more with how inappropriate a signing that was for this point in the window. We are woefully short in a couple of areas in the team and the squad is paper thin. We don't need a benchwarmer (at best) at this point, we really need quality additions. The ITK folk on here and on Facebook (including people from within the club) have now been saying for two months now that we have quality players coming in. They haven't materialised. Yes, this stuff takes time, yes players can change their mind, but that message hasn't changed and time is really running out.

The Championship is a brutal league, we have a decent first 11 but we have an Ill prepared squad and that will likely be more significant over the course of the season. I sincerely hope we get real movement soon.

TL:DR I'm still a bit pissed off, but not as pissed off as yesterday.

The amount of football managers on here who know the type of players we should be signing and are certain those already signed are not good enough is amazing. 

Slate McCabe's strategy all you want but the facts are simple. He got us promoted back to the Championship in his first season. Something many have tried and failed before him with squads full of 'experienced' players. He's got  us playing excellent football that is exciting to watch. We've already beaten a Premier league team this season and ran another very close. 

But no, I'm sure he doesn't know what he's doing. 

Look at the money Falkirk have forked out on 'experienced' players in recent years. They've been amazing eh.... 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

2 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Slate McCabe's strategy all you want but the facts are simple. He got us promoted back to the Championship in his first season. 

Let’s hope that gambling on youth players doesn’t get us relegated back to league 1 in his 2nd season.

If a 19yo whose first team experience amounts to 17 appearances and 1 goal for Dalbeattie Star is the answer, I’d love to know the question.

Just now, Glenmavis Diamond said:

The amount of football managers on here who know the type of players we should be signing and are certain those already signed are not good enough is amazing. 

Slate McCabe's strategy all you want but the facts are simple. He got us promoted back to the Championship in his first season. Something many have tried and failed before him with squads full of 'experienced' players. He's got  us playing excellent football that is exciting to watch. We've already beaten a Premier league team this season and ran another very close. 

But no, I'm sure he doesn't know what he's doing. 

Look at the money Falkirk have forked out on 'experienced' players in recent years. They've been amazing eh.... 

Ok, so as someone who clearly has massively strong opinions on pretty much everything. For you, what should our transfer strategy be for this momentous return to a higher level? Would it include yesterday's signing in any version of it? I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by cb_diamond
And btw absolutely no one is doubting McCabes quality as a manager.

17 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's a football forum old son, that's what we ALL do.

29 minutes ago, G_H said:

Let’s hope that gambling on youth players doesn’t get us relegated back to league 1 in his 2nd season.

If a 19yo whose first team experience amounts to 17 appearances and 1 goal for Dalbeattie Star is the answer, I’d love to know the question.

Id say the question would be "Who did Airdrie recently sign that manager Rhys McCabe thinks has the potential to develop into an excellent player?"

Nobody said he was a starter. But if Rhys sees enough in him, then who am I to question that before he's even stepped foot on the park for us? 

30 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Ok, so as someone who clearly has massively strong opinions on pretty much everything. For you, what should our transfer strategy be for this momentous return to a higher level? Would it include yesterday's signing in any version of it? I'm genuinely curious.

Yeah it would include him. Let's look at the current track record. 

Rhys took a shot on Justin Devenny. He was a stand out last season and won himself a move to the EPL, with us pocketing a tidy profit. 

McMaster is now shaping up to be a quality addition and on the upward trend. Guaranteed there will already be other clubs keeping tabs on him. 

McGregor is starting to come onto a game after looking wobbly at times last season. 

O'Connor still looks raw but has still won us 2 penalties and scored 2 goals this season. 

Aiken has nailed himself a starting spot and looks every bit the player so far.

So based on the above, I'd say our current signing policy is pretty much bang on. 

25 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It's a football forum old son, that's what we ALL do.

Indeed it is. But many posters on here have slated the facebook fans forum for being too positive. I'm merely pointing out that this forum often seems to be the exact opposite at times and very negative. 

Everyone is entitled to opinions and I'd never tell someone not to post. Doesn't mean I will agree with them though. 😉

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond