Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I believe he injured his heel in the warm-up at Stranraer. McGregor has his limitations but I think his pace is a real asset in quite a slow team.

Absolutely as O'Connor is the only other pacy forward we have but he simply is not ready yet at this level.

16 minutes ago, Mr November said:

That’s fair. Without looking back I’d guess most of those came when Aiken or McGregor were in the team. The latter is far from perfect but I think we struggle playing so expansively without their energy. McCabe kept shouting for Frizzell to get further forward but that left a huge gap in our midfield. I think having the extra man in there allows him to do that while keeping us a lot more composed on the ball. 

Agreed on Todorov. He played well against Dundee United, Raith and Arbroath but I don’t think he offers anywhere near as much as Gallagher. Combine that with Gabby McGill continuing to look like a League One player playing above his level and you can see why we’re struggling a bit in front of goal. 

As you say, we’re not a million miles away from being a good team at this level and we’ve had a better start than I expected. Other than Arbroath away we’ve been competitive in every game and it’s fine margins that have decided things. It’s just frustrating when you have games like today, Inverness away, Ayr at home etc. where you concede an early goal and it then becomes prolonged spells of sideways passing and it being painfully obvious you’re not going to score.

Hopefully sort it out in January window,

I think the core of the team is good. Rae has been a bit up and down this season but overall he's a good keeper for this level. The full backs (Megwa and Ballantyne) are excellent, the centre backs are okay and we have plenty options in central midfield. I think we look well drilled and coached and we'd struggle to get more out of most of them - a few of them are arguably League 1 players playing above themselves.

The problem is our options around the edges of the team are just nowhere near good enough. You can be as well coached as you want but once you get into the final third you need players who can make things happen, see a pass or score a goal from nowhere, we just don't have that. Gal will get goals if given the service but he doesn't get it often enough. The wide options are terrible and the more I see Frizz the more I want him to move back into that deeper role he played under Murray where he was excellent. He's not a number 10, he doesn't have the touch or passing to play there at this level. Of course the problem is we have no-one else who could really play there.

I'm confident we'll have enough to be okay this season and then hopefully add some quality over the summer in forward areas.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think the core of the team is good. Rae has been a bit up and down this season but overall he's a good keeper for this level. The full backs (Megwa and Ballantyne) are excellent, the centre backs are okay and we have plenty options in central midfield. I think we look well drilled and coached and we'd struggle to get more out of most of them - a few of them are arguably League 1 players playing above themselves.

The problem is our options around the edges of the team are just nowhere near good enough. You can be as well coached as you want but once you get into the final third you need players who can make things happen, see a pass or score a goal from nowhere, we just don't have that. Gal will get goals if given the service but he doesn't get it often enough. The wide options are terrible and the more I see Frizz the more I want him to move back into that deeper role he played under Murray where he was excellent. He's not a number 10, he doesn't have the touch or passing to play there at this level. Of course the problem is we have no-one else who could really play there.

I'm confident we'll have enough to be okay this season and then hopefully add some quality over the summer in forward areas.

I think that’s probably why the back five looked good for us. As you say we’re generally fine defensively, have plenty of players in midfield who are decent on the ball and then one of Gallagher/Todorov up front. It’s probably the best way of fitting in our best players at the moment without being ridiculously narrow or ineffective out wide. As you say, we’re generally organised and you can tell what the plan is, I think it’s just tweaking things to best fit the squad we have at the moment.

Agreed with a lot of the posts earlier, I think we looked a lot more solid in a back 5 compared to a back 4.

I felt that the first half was very similar to the Inverness away performance, a lack of urgency and just slowly knocking the ball about side to side at the back.

The first goal for me was far too soft, I think we lose far too many goals from crosses into the back post.

As poor as the first half was, I was happy with the reaction in the second half, we take a lot of risks playing it out from the back but I'd like to see us less risk adverse going forward, the 2nd goal came from Gal not pulling the trigger when he had space to take a shot from the 18 yard line.

That being said it was a game I expected us to lose today and with our next games against Dunfermline, Ayr, Morton and Queens Park it's a chance to get some points on the board.

Edited by David Fernández

22 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think that’s probably why the back five looked good for us. As you say we’re generally fine defensively, have plenty of players in midfield who are decent on the ball and then one of Gallagher/Todorov up front. It’s probably the best way of fitting in our best players at the moment without being ridiculously narrow or ineffective out wide. As you say, we’re generally organised and you can tell what the plan is, I think it’s just tweaking things to best fit the squad we have at the moment.

Yes I'd agree. I generally don't like 3-5-2, partly because it's a formation you only play when you are lacking something (which is case in point with us I guess) however it's definitely the best way for us to get our best players on the park, or more specifically not having to play players who are weaker.

The only problem is that I think its success relies on having Ballantyne and Megwa available. With Ballantyne an injury concern and Megwa only on loan until January (I think?) it's maybe not the most stable long term option and McCabe might prefer going with our usual system and trying to play guys into form.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yes I'd agree. I generally don't like 3-5-2, partly because it's a formation you only play when you are lacking something (which is case in point with us I guess) however it's definitely the best way for us to get our best players on the park, or more specifically not having to play players who are weaker.

The only problem is that I think its success relies on having Ballantyne and Megwa available. With Ballantyne an injury concern and Megwa only on loan until January (I think?) it's maybe not the most stable long term option and McCabe might prefer going with our usual system and trying to play guys into form.

Megwa was announced as a season long loan .

Regarding formations it really depends on whose fit and available plus we need to be flexible and not too predictable. Whatever way we line up we need find a way of getting the ball in the pokey.

13 hours ago, David Fernández said:

That being said it was a game I expected us to lose today and with our next games against Dunfermline, Ayr, Morton and Queens Park it's a chance to get some points on the board.

I didn't expect us to lose especially with Graham, McInroy and Milne not starting but moving on 3 points from the Morton game can be massive for us, although I do expect more.

Worried about Ballantyne's injury though.

I won't go back to the broken record I was in July/August about our terrible squad depth outwith the first picks but feel there needs to be an effort to strengthen in January. I may be alone in this but I wouldn't be gutted if O'Connor went back to Hibs to get loaned out further down the pyramid, which is very cl arly his level. Also agree about how utterly disappointing Gabby has been at this level. He's been found out badly. Particularly  as I assume that he will be one of the highest earners having resigned in the summer after a long negotiation. 

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I won't go back to the broken record I was in July/August about our terrible squad depth outwith the first picks but feel there needs to be an effort to strengthen in January. I may be alone in this but I wouldn't be gutted if O'Connor went back to Hibs to get loaned out further down the pyramid, which is very cl arly his level. Also agree about how utterly disappointing Gabby has been at this level. He's been found out badly. Particularly  as I assume that he will be one of the highest earners having resigned in the summer after a long negotiation. 

Definitely agree about O’Connor but I actually think gabby will come good this season eventually. He’s not really been able to get a proper run of games together with his injuries. I honestly think it’s more the change to the style of play from last season that suits him a lot less rather than him simply not being good enough. I think if we were as direct as we were last year he’d have a decent amount of goals and assists.

I was having a look earlier and didn’t realise quite how few goals our league games have late on. We’ve scored one league goal in the last 15 minutes (McGregor v Arbroath) and have conceded three during that time (Rae on the halfway line at Tannadice and then the two at Arbroath). I suppose that fits this squad perfectly, we’re pretty solid when we have a lead but really lack attacking options to change things when we’re losing.

2 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

He’s improving each week we’ll need to enjoy him whilst he’s here 

Another lad I have heard good reports of is Spalding developing really well apparently,  Centre Mid been on the bench recently,  has anybody seen him play this season..

20 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Agree Gabby ,O'Connor can go forme contribute nil is this league ,Gal will always be a fav but doesn't look up to this league ,Manager has got to see this , in fact I thought the last 2 games manager played he was very good would like him to play more,

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Gal will always be a fav but doesn't look up to this league

Really?

7 goal involvements in 14 games in a team that create as few chances as we do I think is very impressive. For context Brian Graham has 8, don’t think many people would say he’s not championship level.

If we give him service he will score

19 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Really?

7 goal involvements in 14 games in a team that create as few chances as we do I think is very impressive. For context Brian Graham has 8, don’t think many people would say he’s not championship level.

If we give him service he will score

Or more than half a game ,aye hope your right ,

Gallagher’s been fine and is the least of our issues going forward. He still has his moments (hopefully that one from a yard out on the opening day was his bad miss for the season out the way) but we’re not going to sign anyone better on our budget and I think he’d improve about half the teams in this league. 

If you create chances for him he’ll score goals, we’ve seen that across every season he’s been here. I don’t think he’s a particularly amazing finisher but his movement and anticipation in the box is brilliant, get the ball into those areas and he’ll score. His link-up play is really important for us too, dropping deep to collect the ball and move it wide. 

You’re right about McCabe though @Jack Reed. He was very good in midfield against Raith and then strolled it when he moved back into defence in that game and against Arbroath. As I said on Saturday, I worry our midfield without Aiken are a bit too slow to play a very expansive three man midfield in this league. Having an extra man in there seemed to suit McCabe and Frizzell in particular. 

Edited by Mr November

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Gallagher’s been fine and is the least of our issues going forward. He still has his moments (hopefully that one from a yard out on the opening day was his bad miss for the season out the way) but we’re not going to sign anyone better on our budget and I think he’d improve about half the teams in this league. 

If you create chances for him he’ll score goals, we’ve seen that across every season he’s been here. I don’t think he’s a particularly amazing finisher but his movement and anticipation in the box is brilliant, get the ball into those areas and he’ll score. His link-up play is really important for us too, dropping deep to collect the ball and move it wide. 

You’re right about McCabe though @Jack Reed. He was very good in midfield against Raith and then strolled it when he moved back into defence in that game and against Arbroath. As I said on Saturday, I worry our midfield without Aiken are a bit too slow to play a very expansive three man midfield in this league. Having an extra man in there seemed to suit McCabe and Frizzell in particular. 

Glad I was right on something ,