Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

With Davidson appointed as new QP manager three of the teams below us have new bosses with a lot of experience and the much vaunted "contacts in the game", you would expect he will have a decent budget for this window and Ferguson also likely to be backed, probably means we need to bring in a few and hope to get Megwa back if we are going to remain out the bottom two.

Should add that this is not to take away from three great results over the last few weeks and a welcome change of formation from McCabe, a couple of quality signings for a team will make all the difference in this leage as shown by Wotherspoon at ICT recently. 

22 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Should add that this is not to take away from three great results over the last few weeks and a welcome change of formation from McCabe, a couple of quality signings for a team will make all the difference in this leage as shown by Wotherspoon at ICT recently. 

Exactly, we have found ourselves 4th in the league,  and our mindset should be changing slightly,  8th place has been the non club mantra all season,  yes we would be happy with it, survival and all that.   With a bit of ambition and get a couple of quality signings in this window, we could then aim to finish as high as possible..  The last 2 games especially have proven  how good a side we can be..

Teams around us are and will strengthen this month,  we must be active also..

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Hopefully this isn’t the last we see of him. We’ve had a few good loan players in recent years (Turner and McInroy the standouts) but he’s right up there.

Certainly a big miss for sat , no

Hibs wanting to take a look at his progress first hand… if he impresses then there’s a good chance we don’t see him again but who knows.   Rumours of new signings for Hibernian so maybe he will still need full time football elsewhere come the end of next week.  

Obviously selfishly I want him to stay, but even from a player development point of view you can see the impact playing regular first team football is having and how much he is progressing. I'd imagine Hibs will make signings and, at best, Megwa will sit on the bench the rest of the season which will do nothing for him. You'd hope they'd see the benefit in him staying.

Doesn't sound like his loan has actually been ended yet, just that they'd like to take a look at him for a week and then decide. So hopefully he's back in a couple of weeks.

If ATS is fit I'd just stick him at centre back, move Watson out right and leave the rest. I wouldn't be moving McCabe out of midfield unless we have no choice given the last 2 performances.

40 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Hopefully this isn’t the last we see of him. We’ve had a few good loan players in recent years (Turner and McInroy the standouts) but he’s right up there.

I'm sure I've seen him play at centre back for Hibs before, he's looked like a decent prospect when you've played against us, Hancock on the other side too.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Obviously selfishly I want him to stay, but even from a player development point of view you can see the impact playing regular first team football is having and how much he is progressing. I'd imagine Hibs will make signings and, at best, Megwa will sit on the bench the rest of the season which will do nothing for him. You'd hope they'd see the benefit in him staying.

Doesn't sound like his loan has actually been ended yet, just that they'd like to take a look at him for a week and then decide. So hopefully he's back in a couple of weeks.

If ATS is fit I'd just stick him at centre back, move Watson out right and leave the rest. I wouldn't be moving McCabe out of midfield unless we have no choice given the last 2 performances.

I'm not optimistic on Megwa returning and with the cup tie with St Johnstone the week after as well there's no chance he'll play in that game either if Hibs are still considering whether to recall him. If Cammy was available then it wouldn't be as big an issue as Watson has been much better in central defence than at RB this season. Lets hope there is no complications with Cammy's return.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm not optimistic on Megwa returning and with the cup tie with St Johnstone the week after as well there's no chance he'll play in that game either if Hibs are still considering whether to recall him. If Cammy was available then it wouldn't be as big an issue as Watson has been much better in central defence than at RB this season. Lets hope there is no complications with Cammy's return.

Megwa played at Stranraer so is already cup-tied, so that won’t be a factor thankfully. Hopefully if they know they’re not going to play him regularly he can return for the cup game, though that might be wishful thinking.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

And Kyle Turner has just signed.

For Raith Rovers!

Turner and Easton together is quite the thought. Someone needs to explain to him that Consilium players are meant to sign for Airdrie though!

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Megwa played at Stranraer so is already cup-tied, so that won’t be a factor thankfully. Hopefully if they know they’re not going to play him regularly he can return for the cup game, though that might be wishful thinking.

Ah ok.

40 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Turner and Easton together is quite the thought. Someone needs to explain to him that Consilium players are meant to sign for Airdrie though!

Think Raith will be like Dundee United , promotion will be a must ,reports are united have lost a couple of million in last year ,

20 hours ago, Passionate said:

Exactly, we have found ourselves 4th in the league,  and our mindset should be changing slightly,  8th place has been the non club mantra all season,  yes we would be happy with it, survival and all that.   With a bit of ambition and get a couple of quality signings in this window, we could then aim to finish as high as possible..  The last 2 games especially have proven  how good a side we can be..

Teams around us are and will strengthen this month,  we must be active also..

It's looking like strengthening is going to be extremely difficult given Rhys's comments in this article!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-boss-looks-keep-up-31792420

13 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It's looking like strengthening is going to be extremely difficult given Rhys's comments in this article!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-boss-looks-keep-up-31792420

I think that's his interview from last week from the website that they've just taken and stuck in an article, if not then very similar. Hope to be wrong but don't expect to sign anyone except maybe a loan or a youngster, that's how I take his comments anyway.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think that's his interview from last week from the website that they've just taken and stuck in an article, if not then very similar. Hope to be wrong but don't expect to sign anyone except maybe a loan or a youngster, that's how I take his comments anyway.

Yeh me too but I sense a little bit of frustration as well although he must know he has a secure job at Airdrie, well as much as managers can have. It could be that the club might need to match his ambition and whilst we'd all be delighted if we maintained our current league position until the season end, it would definitely put his name in the bright lights.