Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Would imagine we'll get another keeper in as even during the play off semi final and with a 6-2 lead, McCabe didn't trust Hutton enough even for the second leg.

I wouldn't be against swapping Gallagher for Donnell and playing McStravick in a more advanced position in behind Todorov, still doesn't solve our mobility problems, but that sounds slightly more mobile than a Gal/Toddy front two.

Darren Jamieson being summoned in to play one game in the play-offs despite being four goals ahead is a very underrated bit from last season’s antics. We probably could have played Hutton and still kept a clean sheet right enough, given it was literally just 90 minutes of long diagonals to Liam Henderson. I don’t like to go on about Falkirk as much as some Airdrie fans but still very funny that in a game that had to score at least four goals, they spent it punting long balls while Airdrie literally just stayed in position and then waited for Brad McKay to inevitably make a mistake at the other end.

12 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Yes, Megwa played for Hibs B in their defeat to... TNS. image.png.80c23217c1652159b6a34dfed15f083c.png

As did Murray Johnson annoyingly as, otherwise, he'd have been the perfect fit for an emergency loan. Also a pity Josh Clarke signed for Ayr a few weeks ago. 

I said the same before the Dunfermline game at the start of the season when we got Clarke in, but this relying on emergency keepers is the one thing I'd be critical of McCabe for during his time with us. In hindsight the way we utilised it last season was quite funny, but the reality is not having a reasonable back-up nearly derailed the season before Christmas and being able to get keepers like Johnson and Jamieson was as much down to luck as judgement.

I understand we're on a tight budget and that convincing a keeper to sign up to sit on the bench for a year isn't the easiest sell, but every other club manages it and I refuse to believe there isn't a keeper out there who is at least League 2/lower League 1 level who wouldn't sign up to be back up and play Challenge Cup and potentially step in in situations like this. It's not like we didn't have warnings last year with injuries and suspensions for Josh, surely promotion would have allowed us the budget for another keeper? I also think having a bit of competition in that position is healthy, having someone there as a viable alternative if your form drops is surely going to drive standards more than knowing that you'll be starting every week regardless.

I anticipate we'll get someone in but at this stage in the season there won't be many players left to choose from. At least the chance of playing in a cup final makes it quite an attractive option and a chance for them to put themselves in the shop window.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

As did Murray Johnson annoyingly as, otherwise, he'd have been the perfect fit for an emergency loan. Also a pity Josh Clarke signed for Ayr a few weeks ago. 

Was Johnson not stripped for QOTS at the start of the season? Otherwise he’ll have exceeded the two club rule.

Assuming Josh has concussion, the guideline tends to be 10 days of non-contact, so he might be fine for the final.

4 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Was Johnson not stripped for QOTS at the start of the season? Otherwise he’ll have exceeded the two club rule.

Assuming Josh has concussion, the guideline tends to be 10 days of non-contact, so he might be fine for the final.

From Josh's update, it seems like its more serious than concusion? 

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I said the same before the Dunfermline game at the start of the season when we got Clarke in, but this relying on emergency keepers is the one thing I'd be critical of McCabe for during his time with us. In hindsight the way we utilised it last season was quite funny, but the reality is not having a reasonable back-up nearly derailed the season before Christmas and being able to get keepers like Johnson and Jamieson was as much down to luck as judgement.

I understand we're on a tight budget and that convincing a keeper to sign up to sit on the bench for a year isn't the easiest sell, but every other club manages it and I refuse to believe there isn't a keeper out there who is at least League 2/lower League 1 level who wouldn't sign up to be back up and play Challenge Cup and potentially step in in situations like this. It's not like we didn't have warnings last year with injuries and suspensions for Josh, surely promotion would have allowed us the budget for another keeper? I also think having a bit of competition in that position is healthy, having someone there as a viable alternative if your form drops is surely going to drive standards more than knowing that you'll be starting every week regardless.

I anticipate we'll get someone in but at this stage in the season there won't be many players left to choose from. At least the chance of playing in a cup final makes it quite an attractive option and a chance for them to put themselves in the shop window.

I think that's reasonable, yes.  Did Morton not go without a backup keeper for much/all of last season?  I wonder if clubs might be seeing this as a reasonable cost to cut, with emergency loans available.

The challenge cup final is of secondary importance to Saturday’s game, obviously I’d prefer we won both but with ICT & Caley playing each other then we have a massive chance to increase the gap to 9th place and of course sneak into the top 4. Arbroath in last chance saloon and they know draws are no use to them so i expect them to more attacking than normal. 

As @Mr November said, our current injuries are leaving us very short of pace and with Gal looking completely out of sorts, although he’s also had an interrupted season, it could well be Josh O’Connor coming in for his final chance. Quite honestly, if he doesn’t start this game then he never will.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

The challenge cup final is of secondary importance to Saturday’s game, obviously I’d prefer we won both but with ICT & Caley playing each other then we have a massive chance to increase the gap to 9th place and of course sneak into the top 4. Arbroath in last chance saloon and they know draws are no use to them so i expect them to more attacking than normal. 

As @Mr November said, our current injuries are leaving us very short of pace and with Gal looking completely out of sorts, although he’s also had an interrupted season, it could well be Josh O’Connor coming in for his final chance. Quite honestly, if he doesn’t start this game then he never will.

Totally agree. Trying to find a positive there is obviously never a good time for this to happen, but the 'least bad' would have been when it did in terms of us only having 1 league in a 3 week period coming up. That gives is time to get something sorted and more time for Rae to recover (although if it's long term it will make little difference). If this had happened in the Morton game 2 weeks ago we'd have been in real bother with the amount of fixtures soon after it.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Y'wot?

38 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Obviously doing well for himself. 

IMG_4093.png

Would love to see him get a game, wonder who the last former AIrdrie player to play in the top flight in England was? Coyle I would guess?

10 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Would love to see him get a game, wonder who the last former AIrdrie player to play in the top flight in England was? Coyle I would guess?

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Nobody else springs to mind since then.  Tony Watt had a fair shake, but never got above the Championship with Charlton.

Liam Lindsay has had a respectable career in the Championship. 

I think Gary Twigg made a couple of appearances off the bench for Derby County? Though I couldn't tell you if that was in the English Premier League or not. 

Looks like Twigg played a game in the premiership for Derby but it was before he moved to Ardrie, rather than going from Airdrie to the English top flight, if it wasn't Coyle it must have been as far back as the 80's, Sandy Clark? 

See Dunfermline announcing players signing new contracts ahead of next season, would be a massive boost if we could announce new deals for some of our players now and most importanly the manager.

That’s the Dundee United game moved to the Friday night. Think we all saw that coming as it was the obvious candidate out of our remaining fixtures. Bit frustrating as they could have brought a bumper crowd with them if they’re still going for the title at that point. 

IMG_4107.png