Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Have to add that it was great to see Josh joining in the final celebrations at full time and helping lift the trophy.  I suppose his recovery will take a bit but he looked in good spirits and on the mend 

On a cheeky note I hope someone at the club has had a conversation with the TNS wingers and the 23. Thought they were their standout players and would be a really good addition to anyone in our league.

53 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

On a cheeky note I hope someone at the club has had a conversation with the TNS wingers and the 23. Thought they were their standout players and would be a really good addition to anyone in our league.

I believe they are way out of our price range. There is a reason TNS are romping all before them.

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention it yet but Cammy Ballantyne’s slide tackle during injury time yesterday was sensational. Full force and timed to perfection. Celebrated that like it was a goal.

38 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention it yet but Cammy Ballantyne’s slide tackle during injury time yesterday was sensational. Full force and timed to perfection. Celebrated that like it was a goal.

Don't think BBC Scotland news mentioned Airdrie winning the cup,mentioned Rangers woman winning mention Scotland women rugby,if we had done something to offend someone they would have been on the case,Still  the most important fans and every one connected to the club know ,♦️♦️♦️♦️

Enjoyed the game yesterday and obviously the result, re-watched the whole game, in Welsh Gaelic although the match commentary was in English, and the guys gave a very balanced view of the game.

TNS started the game better than we did, with a lot of pace down the wings, and after they scored, it seemed like they would push on and they scorned a few chances, but we responded well and should have put the game to bed before half time. Second half was nip and tuck, but over the piece I thought that we shaded it.

Todorov was my man of the match, due to his overall performance, giving their defense a torrid time, good hold up play and lay offs, and topped off with a goal.

Everyone played their part and deserve great credit for all of their efforts, TNS were no mugs and could have tipped the scales in the other direction, but 'Que Sera Sera'

Thought the new keeper did pretty well, one cracking save and everything else handled pretty safely, wonder if we'll sign him up as back up for Rae next season? I liked the Todorov / McStravick combination up front, wouldn't mind seeing that again. Wasn't too sure about Todorov start fo the season but would keep him now, with another striker brought in to play alongside. 

2 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Thought the new keeper did pretty well, one cracking save and everything else handled pretty safely, wonder if we'll sign him up as back up for Rae next season? I liked the Todorov / McStravick combination up front, wouldn't mind seeing that again. Wasn't too sure about Todorov start fo the season but would keep him now, with another striker brought in to play alongside. 

Agreed on both. We definitely need a backup keeper next season and while it’s still early days, someone like Hemfrey fits the role fine based on what we’ve seen so far. 

It took me a while to warm to Todorov but that’s entirely because he was really unsuited to playing up front on his own with our style of play from the first half of the season. As you say though, he’s been a real threat since he’s had someone up beside him. Him and McStravick have looked really good together in the last couple of games, would be keen to see more of that on Friday night if McStravick is fit.

24 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Disagree on the keeper, the only reason he didn't concede, was down to the defenders protecting him, he was poor with cross balls and didn't fill me with confidence, so I won't be signing any petitions to keep him.

6 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

Disagree on the keeper, the only reason he didn't concede, was down to the defenders protecting him, he was poor with cross balls and didn't fill me with confidence, so I won't be signing any petitions to keep him.

I actually agree with this, it's very early days but he has been very lucky that the defence have been able to cover for him in his games thus far as he looks as if he could be an absolute bomb scare when we are under proper pressure.

24 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I actually agree with this, it's very early days but he has been very lucky that the defence have been able to cover for him in his games thus far as he looks as if he could be an absolute bomb scare when we are under proper pressure.

Let's see how it goes on Friday night.

7 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

He's not played a lot of football lately, and perhaps there's a reason for this, but as you say it's far too early to write him off although it's noticeable in his 2 games that he's taking no chances with the playing out from the back. I'm sure this has came from the manager and is a sensible approach given his recent lack of game time and I can't imagine it was easy to find someone who was, but ultimately it's the style the manager wants to play.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

He's not played a lot of football lately, and perhaps there's a reason for this, but as you say it's far too early to write him off although it's noticeable in his 2 games that he's taking no chances with the playing out from the back. I'm sure this has came from the manager and is a sensible approach given his recent lack of game time and I can't imagine it was easy to find someone who was, but ultimately it's the style the manager wants to play.

Not a good time of the season for giving him a chance,look on the bright side he might turn out to be the next swing on the bar you baaasassstttaartdd♦️♦️

It could also be that they've decided among themselves/with the coaching team that while they're still getting used to playing with each other that he stays on his line and the centre halfs deal with crosses (which Dicey in particular does very well). 

30 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It could also be that they've decided among themselves/with the coaching team that while they're still getting used to playing with each other that he stays on his line and the centre halfs deal with crosses (which Dicey in particular does very well). 

Surely not,

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I don't know how likely it is, but I've heard of that sort of thing at other places.  Just a possibility, no more than that.

Oh it's possible,think we need someone better than that, keeper had no chance with the goal,It was very unlike Fordyce going to ground think manager was going to get on to him when the boy nipped in past him,they made up for that and more ,

6 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Oh it's possible,think we need someone better than that, keeper had no chance with the goal,It was very unlike Fordyce going to ground think manager was going to get on to him when the boy nipped in past him,they made up for that and more ,

That's because it was Watson, not Fordyce. Overall I thought Watson was excellent but he'll always give you one dodgy moment a game, it was a needless tackle that probably had an element of playing to the crowd in it. I think if they hadn't scored he'd have been given at least a yellow. McCabe was also asleep when the ball was cut back, we are a better team with him in it but that's where he is exposed - quick runners running off him.

On the goalie, he did what was asked of him, which wasn't very much. It may be that ultimately we 'need better' (although I don't see how anyone has seen enough to tell yet) but the bottom line is there aren't top quality goalies sitting around in March waiting on a contract offer. We need him for the rest of the season so need to do what we can to help him settle in, if that means the defenders taking a bit more responsibility for crosses for the time being I'm fine with that.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

50 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's because it was Watson, not Fordyce. Overall I thought Watson was excellent but he'll always give you one dodgy moment a game, it was a needless tackle that probably had an element of playing to the crowd in it. I think if they hadn't scored he'd have been given at least a yellow. McCabe was also asleep when the ball was cut back, we are a better team with him in it but that's where he is exposed - quick runners running off him.

On the goalie, he did what was asked of him, which wasn't very much. It may be that ultimately we 'need better' (although I don't see how anyone has seen enough to tell yet) but the bottom line is there aren't top quality goalies sitting around in March waiting on a contract offer. We need him for the rest of the season so need to do what we can to help him settle in, if that means the defenders taking a bit more responsibility for crosses for the time being I'm fine with that.

I stand corrected,getting to know the team and game  time can only improve the keeper,