Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

It's strange how it's all worked out with the forward line up this season, not helped by injuries, lack of form, up against stronger defences so fewer chances to score?:-

Todorov looked really rusty and disappointing when he joined and seemed to slip out of contention, but to be fair has been good since the turn of the year - if you'd asked me before Christmas do I think he will be away a def. yes, now can see him staying on unless as said another, better offer comes in. 

McGill and Gallagher - ultimately disappointing season for both of them, not helped by injury and the other reasons mentioned above, and of course Todorov (and indeed McStravick) really shining since January. I do agree I think both will be offski, I would be surprised if they remain, but wholeheartedly agree they will be fondly remembered for their efforts in League One. 

Elsewhere O'Connor looked a real handful when he initially played but quickly went off the boil with Aiken looking the better of the Hibs loanees. Aiken again another whose season has been harmed by injury. A few promising signs from O'Connor recently (his goals of course) but ultimately too late to salvage himself - expect him to be away. 

I think we’ll probably see Gallagher and McGill away this summer. Telfer might fancy his chances at a bigger club again after a good season. Rumours always persist about Frizzell being wanted elsewhere. I wouldn’t be clamouring to keep a hold of any of the loanees, other than Megwa if at all possible.

I reckon the back five will probably stay reasonably intact: Fordyce won’t be going anywhere, Ballantyne and Rae I think will stick around after their injuries, Watson apparently has a deal until end of next season and I really do hope Hancock stays too as he has been crucial.

If we get the right result tonight and over the next week or two we may very well be in a position of knowing where we stand and so be able to plan for the next season. I might even be in the camp that I wouldn’t want to be in promotion play-offs (as lovely & positive as it would be) so we could get our house in order early recruitment wise, rather than having to hold off for a few weeks after the season ends not knowing what league we’ll actually be in.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I think we’ll probably see Gallagher and McGill away this summer. Telfer might fancy his chances at a bigger club again after a good season. Rumours always persist about Frizzell being wanted elsewhere. I wouldn’t be clamouring to keep a hold of any of the loanees, other than Megwa if at all possible.

I reckon the back five will probably stay reasonably intact: Fordyce won’t be going anywhere, Ballantyne and Rae I think will stick around after their injuries, Watson apparently has a deal until end of next season and I really do hope Hancock stays too as he has been crucial.

If we get the right result tonight and over the next week or two we may very well be in a position of knowing where we stand and so be able to plan for the next season. I might even be in the camp that I wouldn’t want to be in promotion play-offs (as lovely & positive as it would be) so we could get our house in order early recruitment wise, rather than having to hold off for a few weeks after the season ends not knowing what league we’ll actually be in.

All the best to team tonight,hope it's in our hands after tonight's result,♦️♦️

Wasn't at the game, nervously following on the club twitter,  gave up on the fire stick...

Rhys certainly knows his squad,  on paper a risky starting line up, and outstanding 3 points and seems well deserved as well..

All you good Diamonds get up the road safe and kudos to every one of you.

Enjoyed that tonight. I’ve missed Tannadice and East End Park as I was away so nice to finally see one of our Tuesday night away wins. The good news for everyone else is I’ll miss the next three games, hopefully we have a similarly good unbeaten run then.

I thought that was one of our most comfortable performances all season, should have scored more than two and 2-1 really wasn’t a fair reflection on the game.

McCabe got his tactics spot on. We must have had 10-15 balls across the box that just needed to fall in the right way but until Fordyce scrambled one in they never did. There seemed to be a clear gameplan to get the ball out wide, run at the Arbroath full-backs and get balls across the box and it worked really well, other than the obvious not actually scoring from them! I was a bit unsure of the set-up before the match but the back three strolled it (Ballantyne particularly impressive), Megwa and Hancock consistently pushed forward and had more cover to do so with the back three and McMaster in there. I thought McMaster was our best player, more positive than usual and he progressed our really play well. Pleased to see him bounce back from Friday night. The subs were well timed too. McGregor’s pace caused problems and Todorov was perhaps unfortunate with the offside goal but with so many balls into the box Gallagher and McGill made a lot of sense, and then Telfer and Frizzell when Arbroath changed shape and left more space in midfield.

It felt like one of those games where if we scored early on we’d go onto score three or four. Saying that, we were fortunate that Hemfrey made a good save from the penalty at 0-0. For all we played very well and battered Arbroath for a 10-15 minute spell leading up to that, if you don’t take your chances you’re only one mistake away from being in a bit of bother.

On 29/03/2024 at 19:26, Diamonds are Forever said:

The team have had plenty praise recently and rightly so, but losing 4/4 to that Ayr team deserves a bit of criticism. They average a point per game against everyone bar us which is relegation form, so to lose every game really is dreadful.

The point about Ayr is valid, a team with one eye on a relegation playoff spot - we should have done better against them.  And if it had been 4 draws instead of wins for them they’d be in a relegation fight.  And we’d be fighting The Jags for third spot.  Hindsight 😳

Feel tonight’s game was a bit of a reflection of our overall season.   Narrow win, dominated possession and chances without taking too many.  We rarely win by a large margin or lose by much (our last 3 games have been 2-1). I know there’s a lot of talk about next season and players staying/going.  But until the Rhys situation is sorted things will be as clear as mud I think.  And the playoff situation makes things even more complicated - I actually think we’ll make it! Advantages for and against being there but I know McCabe will be pushing like crazy to give us a chance.   Feel like as a club we’re not ready for a step up to the top flight but when you think QP, Arbroath have been so close to making it in recent years, why shouldn’t we be having a serious go.   The last few weeks will be fun.  

Edited by FLDiamond

Thought we played well last night. Sitting behind the dugout, it was good to be so close to McCabe to listen to him. Never shouted or berated his players. Very measured and supportive but also very clear. Shoukd have scored a few. Was always confident looking at our bench. 

As has been said previously, let’s just enjoy the current situation. 

I think we are all but safe from relegation now which is brilliant, especially considering it's such a tight league.

It's up to the players whether they are going to kick on and push for the playoffs or rest on their laurels. We do sometimes have a habit of complacency after getting a good result, but it would be good to get into the playoffs for the extra revenue if nothing else, plus the extra prize money for higher finishing position is likely quite meaningful for our club.

The run in is 

Morton (H), Raith (A), Dunfermline (H), Partick (A), Dundee Utd (H), Queens Park (A)

None of which are easy games (not that there are any in this division, as even Arbroath who looked weak last night gubbed us earlier in the season)

Edited by G_H

25 minutes ago, G_H said:

I think we are all but safe from relegation now which is brilliant, especially considering it's such a tight league.

It's up to the players whether they are going to kick on and push for the playoffs or rest on their laurels. We do sometimes have a habit of complacency after getting a good result, but it would be good to get into the playoffs for the extra revenue if nothing else, plus the extra prize money for higher finishing position is likely quite meaningful for our club.

The run in is 

Morton (H), Raith (A), Dunfermline (H), Partick (A), Dundee Utd (H), Queens Park (A)

None of which are easy games (not that there are any in this division, as even Arbroath who looked weak last night gubbed us earlier in the season)

Don't like taking anything for granted but I think you're right. ICT would need 3 wins and a draw and for us to lose every game. Or for them to win every remaining match if we win 1 more. That's not factoring in the other teams below us who provide an extra buffer. Until it's impossible to be caught I'll not relax fully but we should have done enough. ICT do have Arbroath at home on Saturday so the table might not look quite as pretty if we don't beat Morton.

Looking at the fixtures, hopefully Dundee Utd have things wrapped up with 2 games to go (probably unlikely), and QP could easily have nothing to play for by the last game, so those games might be kind to us. Regardless we have still to play the sides around us so it will be those results that decide whether we get 4th or not. A win on Saturday would be huge as a 5 point gap with 5 games to might be needed as we no longer have the relative gimme of Arbroath to play like Morton do.

I have a slight concern that we may have ended up sacrificing a play-off spot with our Challenge Cup run, those extra 5 games and particularly the final have meant McStravick and McCabe are unavailable currently, and have added to the 2 periods of fixture congestion, one on February/March and one over the next 2 weeks, which seems to have taken it's toll on the squad a bit with a few players appearing to be 'half-fit' and able to play parts of games or some games. That's not a criticism however, a cup win and safety would be an excellent season. Hopefully the budget is bigger next year to allow a larger squad that can cope with the extra games that come with being a decent side.

If Livingston and Hamilton can get to the SPL, then there's no reason Airdrie can't. After years in the third tier, it would be brilliant for the club. Early days, but if you finish in a play-off spot, then who knows? Thistle should have done it last year. 

7 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

If Livingston and Hamilton can get to the SPL, then there's no reason Airdrie can't. After years in the third tier, it would be brilliant for the club. Early days, but if you finish in a play-off spot, then who knows? Thistle should have done it last year. 

It does feel too soon, and we would need massive investment (in relative terms) to stay up.  It's not a target and not something I've really been thinking about... but of course if we do secure fourth place we'll all be dreaming of it, and as much as a free hit as the playoffs would be, we'd all be right up for it.  How often does a club like Airdrie get a chance at this?  We've not been a realistic shout for it since the last season of the original Airdrieonians, and while we have been in the top flight in my lifetime, I have no memory of it whatsoever.  We've been the surprise package this season, we won't be next year.  This might be the best chance for another long time...
But I'm getting ahead of myself (as is my right as a fan).  Morton first.

1 minute ago, G_&_T said:

This is the thing, part of me is still in the 'happy to finish 8th' mode from pre-season. But equally, realistically I can't see us ever having a better chance of promotion (not saying it's likely, just that we may not get a better shot). We have a young manager who won't be here forever and a squad with promotion experience. We have beaten Raith 3 times and draw once this season, shared the points with Partick over 3 games, beaten St Johnstone and drawn with Ross County in 90 mins, so we aren't miles away from the standard. As I mentioned in the post above I think squad depth will/would cost us in terms of getting there and certainly getting through them though.

I get people thinking us being promoted again would be 'too soon' with back to back promotions. However, what it would mean for the club on so many levels is just an immense opportunity. So let's just dream about it for a second. Yeah, I know we could still end up 8th, but what would it mean if we did pull off the impossible? 

The fans: To even be talking about the possibility is fairytale stuff after 10+ years of stagnation in League One. Having an away crowd to shout at every week, the increased atmosphere etc. Would be superb. 

The players: Well, they'd deserve the shot at the top. It's what every player strives to achieve. And if they get us back to back promotions, they'll well and truly have earned their shot at the big league. 

The board / owners: well, they've put their money where their mouth is and delivered so much already. For them to be rubbing shoulders with other top clubs would be well merited and show they've delivered what we all want. 

The gaffer: back to back promotions in you're fledgling career? Why the f**k not! We all know his stock is rising and he's going to move on at some point, but why not enjoy him challenging the best clubs in Scotland? Yeah, we'd all be hoping we can hang on and not get pumped every week, but with Rhys's ambition, he'd be aiming for Europe. 😂

Finances: it'd just be massive. Last place in the SPL gets 3-4 times the amount you get for winning the Championship I believe. That's massive for a club like ours, not to mention the revenue from far bigger crowds each week, full capacity v the old firm, increased hospitality, sponsorship etc. Even if we got relegated straight away we'd be in a far stronger financial position to challenge for promotion again. 

So yeah it's fairytale stuff, but am I dreaming of us being promoted now? Too right. Do I believe this group of players, led by Rhys, could do it? Yeah I do. I'm here for the ride and would love to at least get a shot at the play offs and see how we go from there. It's in our own hands now. 

Great posts above. We might fall down due to lack of squad depth, but great to think we are talking about the promotion play offs rather than the relegation (mathematically still possible but looking unlikely now). 

I am sure Rhys will be pushing and encouraging the players to think on the possibilities of promotion rather than looking over our shoulder at the teams below, and as said if Hamilton and Livingston can do it, and Arbroath and Queen's Park nearly in seasons gone by... 

Still a bit to go, and it will be tough. However if there's any chance we can be in the mix then what an opportunity it is... 

A possibly interesting angle on the whole "who will stay/go" conversation with McGill is that I'd imagine he will be one of our highest earners, given the protracted saga of him resigning in the summer. Can only assume he got a big bump to recommit for this season. Has he been value for that money? No, not at all. But only because of his horrendous luck with injuries. I actually think he's capable at this level, but for me he's very a much if he stays, ok. If he goes, ok.

By all means dream of hitting the top flight but it hasn't been the SPL for 11 years now. Its simply "the Premiership"

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

By all means dream of hitting the top flight but it hasn't been the SPL for 11 years now. Its simply "the Premiership"

I'm sure I don't need to remind you where we've been languishing for the last decade. We're getting nosebleeds just been 4th in El Chamiopnshipio

Edited by cb_diamond