Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I see we’re part of a group of clubs who have sent a report to the SPFL outlining their concerns about the potential banning of artificial surfaces in the top flight. 

Can’t seem to get the link to copy over but you can find it on Raith Rovers’ Twitter or website. 

IMG_5621.png

Is there any players in the lower leagues you'd like us to go for? I'd be happy to get someone like Joe McKee in, know we tried to get him a few years ago under Murray. Had a great season there at Peterhead too.

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

Is there any players in the lower leagues you'd like us to go for?

Wouldn’t mind us signing someone like Ethan Ross or Steven Buchanan from Alloa. Both looked quite exciting prospects. Bobby Wales might be an option on loan as a striker?

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Wouldn’t mind us signing someone like Ethan Ross or Steven Buchanan from Alloa. Both looked quite exciting prospects. Bobby Wales might be an option on loan as a striker?

For a team that was knocking on the door of the Premier League,  Part time players are now , the market we are looking at...

If we were a mid table League 1 side then fair enough,  there is a massive jump to the Championship,    hopefully Rhys can keep our core and move us forward,  

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Is there any players in the lower leagues you'd like us to go for? I'd be happy to get someone like Joe McKee in, know we tried to get him a few years ago under Murray. Had a great season there at Peterhead too.

Joe McKee struggled for many sides in League 1 ,  dropped to League 2 and found his level,  happy for the lad..

We are 2 leagues above his level now,  he is a very poor man's Charlie Telfer...

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

Joe McKee struggled for many sides in League 1 ,  dropped to League 2 and found his level,  happy for the lad..

We are 2 leagues above his level now,  he is a very poor man's Charlie Telfer...

How long until someone suggests Kurtis Roberts?

I've kinda switched off after the playoffs to be honest, giving myself a couple of weeks, concentrate on the bowls and get ready to go again! 

I get the feeling we're in for another roller coaster. By the way there's absolutely no substance behind any of this, just IMO.  I can't help but feel there'll be a couple away that we'll really miss, but on the flip side of that, I think (hope!) we'll make a couple of REALLY good signings that will get the optimism up.  I'd love wee Kenny back, and part of me thinks, if the managers staying, we'll see him back!

For those that's going away on holiday, enjoy, everyone else, have a good summer and we'll reconvene soon 😎

See Mason Hancock added that he’d see us all next year in his cameo video for winning YPOTY. Hopefully that means he’s contracted.

Looking at the squad at the end of last season we had 25 players listed and I don't think many of us are expecting a large turnover of playing staff but when you break it down its probably more than we think.

5 loanees who are gone.

Hutts & ATS are coaching staff although perhaps ATS might want to continue playing elsewhere.

Gal obviously gone.

Frees - Not many but potentially Hemfrey, Dunlop & Cassidy?????

So that's potentially 11 players from our 1st team squad and of course there may be some of our out of contract guy's as well.

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've kinda switched off after the playoffs to be honest, giving myself a couple of weeks, concentrate on the bowls and get ready to go again! 

I get the feeling we're in for another roller coaster. By the way there's absolutely no substance behind any of this, just IMO.  I can't help but feel there'll be a couple away that we'll really miss, but on the flip side of that, I think (hope!) we'll make a couple of REALLY good signings that will get the optimism up.  I'd love wee Kenny back, and part of me thinks, if the managers staying, we'll see him back!

For those that's going away on holiday, enjoy, everyone else, have a good summer and we'll reconvene soon 😎

For a minute I misread that and thought you wanted Kenny Black back! A wee break in chat about squads etc is quite ok but no need to get overly worried ( yet). 

Hope summer returns soon after yesterday's downpour. 

Watching the play off game and the team that we dominated all season haven't laid a glove on Ross County.

I think that we could have given them a much better challenge than Raith are providing and Simon Murray could be the difference again, over the tie, as he was against us, when he got Queens promotion.

1 hour ago, Rio 2 said:

Watching the play off game and the team that we dominated all season haven't laid a glove on Ross County.

I think that we could have given them a much better challenge than Raith are providing and Simon Murray could be the difference again, over the tie, as he was against us, when he got Queens promotion.

I was thinking this although I dont think we would beat county over two legs especially as we would have had an extra two games against thistle. Hope Raith turn it round but cant see it now, would that be 4 seasons in a row Murray has lost a playoff?

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

I was thinking this although I dont think we would beat county over two legs especially as we would have had an extra two games against thistle. Hope Raith turn it round but cant see it now, would that be 4 seasons in a row Murray has lost a playoff?

Raith weren’t in the play-offs last season, they were actually the only Championship team with nothing to play for on the last day, sitting a bore 7th. His semi-final record is excellent, even if he always just scrapes through, but the finals haven’t gone so well. 

I did think watching Raith v Thistle that we perhaps missed a good opportunity but as you say, I think County would have had too much for us over two games. I think we’d have struggled to match their physicality, especially after playing four very tough games in a short period.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

Raith weren’t in the play-offs last season, they were actually the only Championship team with nothing to play for on the last day, sitting a bore 7th. His semi-final record is excellent, even if he always just scrapes through, but the finals haven’t gone so well. 

I did think watching Raith v Thistle that we perhaps missed a good opportunity but as you say, I think County would have had too much for us over two games. I think we’d have struggled to match their physicality, especially after playing four very tough games in a short period.

I think you could make an argument that his poor record in finals is actually because in some respects his semi-final record is quite poor, in the sense that he always makes hard work of it against weaker teams. In all 3 of them he's been the 2nd placed team and played teams who finished below him, often by a large margin. And in all of them required extra-time and/or penalties to progress, and were all 'emotional rollercoasters'. Thinking back to the Cove and Montrose games, or even the Partick match last week, his teams end up expending a huge amount of energy just reaching the final and two of them ended up being celebrated with pitch invasions (only reason Cove game didn't was it was during Covid!). The nature of the play-offs is always that you won't get easy games, but given that he has always faced inferior sides in the semi-finals he should have been able to get a dull, sterile 2-0 win in some of them that didn't cause them to expend huge amounts of emotional and physical energy - which has then cost him in the final.

Raith may well turn it around and disprove this, but like his last 2 attempts it looks likely that they've expended too much too soon to get through the semis and then might fall short in the final.

19 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think you could make an argument that his poor record in finals is actually because in some respects his semi-final record is quite poor, in the sense that he always makes hard work of it against weaker teams. In all 3 of them he's been the 2nd placed team and played teams who finished below him, often by a large margin. And in all of them required extra-time and/or penalties to progress, and were all 'emotional rollercoasters'. Thinking back to the Cove and Montrose games, or even the Partick match last week, his teams end up expending a huge amount of energy just reaching the final and two of them ended up being celebrated with pitch invasions (only reason Cove game didn't was it was during Covid!). The nature of the play-offs is always that you won't get easy games, but given that he has always faced inferior sides in the semi-finals he should have been able to get a dull, sterile 2-0 win in some of them that didn't cause them to expend huge amounts of emotional and physical energy - which has then cost him in the final.

Raith may well turn it around and disprove this, but like his last 2 attempts it looks likely that they've expended too much too soon to get through the semis and then might fall short in the final.

Think there's a lot to suppor that, when we got up last year we had th semi final won by half time in the leg and although we still had to work it was much less than the montrose games the year before. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Raith have done well mostly due to individual performances don't think Murray can get them playing as a team anything like McCabe ,