Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

My concern here is that last summer, it was clear that we had only one recognised centre back in Fordyce. The fans could see it, and surely Rhys could see it. He simply had to be looking for a back-up centre back all summer and found none. I don't feel that there are an abundance of players in this position of the quality of Dycey, he is going to be hard to replace, and ideally we need two, not just one.

I think Hancock was probably lined up to be Fordyce’s partner there but he first got into the team at full-back when Watson was injured early in the season and was undroppable there ever since really. It is an issue though, other than Fordyce I think the only proper centre backs we’ve had in the last few years have been a few months of big Byrd (barely played), Josh Kerr (always injured) and Luke Lyons (barely played and always injured). 

I know we all assume the new keeper will be Murray Johnson but it is a concern to go into next season with a new keeper and two new centre backs after being so strong defensively this season.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Murray will be going round the clubs trying to take their best players,aye a lot of good individual players sitting on the bench ,He seemed well out his depth yesterday ,getting them to play as a team is beyond him ,

We were all out of our depth yesterday, in terms of technique, physicality, finishing and determination. It was a not unexpected reality check.

But if you're suggesting Murray is incapable of getting individuals to play as a team, the very fact we were in the playoff final, having finished 14 points clear of the next best, surely suggests there is a solid team spirit. Whether that team stays together now is another matter, but I think you're being harsh on IM, not to mention mistaken.

Seen both on our thread and here that Fordyce is rumoured to be coming to us, I was shocked when I saw that I thought he would’ve stayed with you lot as he’s assistant gaffer and a mainstay in the starting 11, like I wouldn’t be against it as he’s looked a good CH in this division and someone who is somewhat reliable fitness wise 

No excuses now, get some proper friendlies organised please. Even just games against some junior teams in Lanarkshire and West Lothian would be good fun. 

33 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Seen both on our thread and here that Fordyce is rumoured to be coming to us, I was shocked when I saw that I thought he would’ve stayed with you lot as he’s assistant gaffer and a mainstay in the starting 11, like I wouldn’t be against it as he’s looked a good CH in this division and someone who is somewhat reliable fitness wise 

He’s probably the most reliable player fitness wise I’ve seen, he’s barely missed a game in the time he’s been with us.

57 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

We were all out of our depth yesterday, in terms of technique, physicality, finishing and determination. It was a not unexpected reality check.

But if you're suggesting Murray is incapable of getting individuals to play as a team, the very fact we were in the playoff final, having finished 14 points clear of the next best, surely suggests there is a solid team spirit. Whether that team stays together now is another matter, but I think you're being harsh on IM, not to mention mistaken.

Aye,right enough I'm just going by the games he managed against us ,

4 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

He’s probably the most reliable player fitness wise I’ve seen, he’s barely missed a game in the time he’s been with us.

Think he missed 9 league games in 5 years which is ridiculous really. I know Raith have Watson and Murray, who have both played at higher levels than Fordyce, but I know who I’d rather have leading my defence.

10 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Think he missed 9 league games in 5 years which is ridiculous really. I know Raith have Watson and Murray, who have both played at higher levels than Fordyce, but I know who I’d rather have leading my defence.

See I like Watson but can’t be relied upon for an entire season, where as you’ve mentioned Fordyce as missed barely any games in 5 year, which is why I would take Fordyce as a settled back 4 or 3 depending on formation is what we need next season 

32 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

No excuses now, get some proper friendlies organised please. Even just games against some junior teams in Lanarkshire and West Lothian would be good fun. 

Either that or they just relocate it to Airdrie or Hamilton, as we've got plastic pitches as well. 

33 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I like NLC's optimism that we will get out the group!

I reckon Fordyce is one of the most difficult players in our squad to replace. We don’t have anyone already at the club that can take on his role as being our most dependable centre half and it seems like defenders that are solid in the air and comfortable playing the ball out from the back are few and far between. Telfer was rightly player of the year and Hancock and Megwa were standouts but there are classy midfielders and good full backs going about. Quality centre backs seem more difficult to recruit, but I hope I’m wrong

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I reckon Fordyce is one of the most difficult players in our squad to replace. We don’t have anyone already at the club that can take on his role as being our most dependable centre half and it seems like defenders that are solid in the air and comfortable playing the ball out from the back are few and far between. Telfer was rightly player of the year and Hancock and Megwa were standouts but there are classy midfielders and good full backs going about. Quality centre backs seem more difficult to recruit, but I hope I’m wrong

Personally I think Fordyce going is a lot more than just being a very good defender...  dycey never missed training and took a lot of it,  was very successful with his set piece training and popular with the players,   Rhys often was late for training due to his coaching school,,,   was never convinced in his role as Assistant Manager I always thought it was more of way to get a slightly higher wage than anything too constructive,  not a criticism just my take on it....   ATS is the brains behind the current setup and and Rhys leans on ATS a lot during games and is the only qualified coach at the club,  and if it wasn't for the bold ATS we wouldn't have hit Bronze status as a club,   Rhys has had 2 seasons to sit and pass this standard coaching badges (seems to be a bit of a non badge of honour looking at recent tweets with his consilium buddy). The club really need to pull rank here and ensure he completes this course ( been on 2 I believe and not completed so I hear)..

Hopefully some signing news soon, interestingly signings by other sides so far have been 2 year deals,  surely tieing down Frizz, Telfer and Ballantyne who are our core are more important than Gallagher and McGregor or does it depend on the narrative the club are trying to project..

39 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I'm sure someone has already searched the Consilium list.