Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Sad to see Josh Rae leave you guys as he was a stick on to get sent off against us every time.

But excellent news that he has recovered from such a serious injury. But shit for you guys right enough.

26 minutes ago, 101 said:

Sad to see Josh Rae leave you guys as he was a stick on to get sent off against us every time.

But excellent news that he has recovered from such a serious injury. But shit for you guys right enough.

If his replacement is what the rumours are suggesting then I'm not bothered about him leaving.

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think someone mentioned his name on here 2-3 weeks ago (think he’s another Consilium group player?) so it seems like quite a credible rumour

Ah never seen that.  Was mentioned once or twice with us, but sure he's more of a winger and with Murphy/Henderson/Tomlinson and rumoured to have signed a Romanian boy from Coventry, probably wouldn't be worth his time.  Apparently a decent player so could be a good coup.

Seems like Ballantyne is indeed off to Morton according to Scott Burns, two year deal there rather than one year at Airdrie. Hard to argue with him taking the longer contract and also Airdrie only offering one year given his injuries.

11 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Seems like Ballantyne is indeed off to Morton according to Scott Burns, two year deal there rather than one year at Airdrie. Hard to argue with him taking the longer contract and also Airdrie only offering one year given his injuries.

Wonder if he's been reading P&B lol

16 minutes ago, Mr November said:

That's more dissapointing than the others who have left to a higher level as I would have hoped we could have matched Morton for wages, why not offer a two year deal, hope we offer Telfer and Frizz a two year deal if that's what it takes.

5 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

That's more dissapointing than the others who have left to a higher level as I would have hoped we could have matched Morton for wages, why not offer a two year deal, hope we offer Telfer and Frizz a two year deal if that's what it takes.

Would imagine we’ve took his injuries in to account and just offered him a one year deal. Which I’m completely fine with tbh

Airdries policy which in my opinion is flawed is one year deals unless you are under 23,  so get used to this merry go round of players,  every team needs a strong base and Ballantyne as Rhys stated before would run through a brick wall for him,  Injuries and illness are part and parcel of life,  if that is the reason then that is very poor,   personally it isn't and the club to me are still not convinced they are an established Championship side and don't want to take the risk of going to the next step.. 

We need Frizzell and Telfer I am in no doubt they will be offered 1 year deals also,

The money league is doing the rounds and with all prize money combined we made 606k last season not including gate receipts..  you don't get that in the seaside league..

I could see Frizzell and Telfer being offered two years, the former particularly. With two year deals it’s hard to tell what the club actually offer players. It seems like Watson got one last summer, so they do offer them to older players at times, so perhaps it’s more that historically key players like Frizzell etc have preferred a one year deal in case the club remained/dropped into League One. 

With Ballantyne, I suspect the injuries are a big factor in it. The other aspect is if you’re going to push the boat out for some players, I think I’d rather it was for two midfielders who make the team tick rather than a full-back. 

13 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Any more word on the Rhys Armstrong from Spartans rumour that was doing the rounds a couple of weeks back.

Just waiting on him coming back from holiday to make it official last I heard.

So if we add Armstrong along with Frizzell & Telfer, that would be the midfield looking pretty decent but may cast doubts over the potential return of Lyall and/or Aiken. It would be Aiken all day long for me but not averse to Lyall as I believe he has loads of improvement in him.

We could sign both and stick Gallagher & Dunlop out on loan.

10 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

David Marshall retiring. Might put the Murray Johnson deal in jeopardy.

The idea of having our first choice keeper as a loanee worries me. Especially if we are going for Hutton as our backup again.

All it needs is an injury to another keeper at the Loanee’s club and they will be recalled. As happened with Johnson this season at Queen of the South.

If the plan is Johnson, then I would rather we had at least retained Hemfrey as a backup. He has his faults but I felt he did a decent job for us last season.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Airdries policy which in my opinion is flawed is one year deals unless you are under 23,  so get used to this merry go round of players,  every team needs a strong base and Ballantyne as Rhys stated before would run through a brick wall for him,  Injuries and illness are part and parcel of life,  if that is the reason then that is very poor,   personally it isn't and the club to me are still not convinced they are an established Championship side and don't want to take the risk of going to the next step.. 

We need Frizzell and Telfer I am in no doubt they will be offered 1 year deals also,

The money league is doing the rounds and with all prize money combined we made 606k last season not including gate receipts..  you don't get that in the seaside league..

I just don't buy that, there is no way that the club would only have offered the likes of Frizzell a 1 year deal last summer if he would have accepted 2 or more. Under 23s get 2 years because they will accept 2 years as they aren't established players and want that 2nd year to ensure they get an opportunity to prove themselves. The likes of Frizz, Telfer, McGill etc would not have wanted a 2 year deal last summer as we were relegation favourites and would have been concerned about ending up back in League 1 this season approaching the peak of their careers.

There will obviously be individual cases where the club don't want to offer a 2 year deal, like it seems with Ballantyne. But I'd bet on most occasions when it comes to our higher value players it's that the player would rather only have a 1 year deal than 2.

You're right that this means there will be a lot of change each season. But the only solution is to become an established Championship club so that players have no fears about getting relegated back to League 1, but we probably need another year or 2 in the Championship for that to happen.