Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I don’t usually bother with kits that don’t have a diamond but that is first class. Love the homage to the 2nd division title winning team with the alternative badge.

IMG_6089.jpeg

IMG_6090.jpeg

54 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t usually bother with kits that don’t have a diamond but that is first class. Love the homage to the 2nd division title winning team with the alternative badge.

IMG_6089.jpeg

IMG_6090.jpeg

I recognise a few faces but can only put names to 3: Jim Black, Willie McGuire and Derek Whiteford. Any ideas for the rest?

Just now, AJ77 said:

Lyall heading to Morton.

Just now, AJ77 said:

Lyall heading to Morton.

Never actually heard he was released by Rangers, that is disappointing, although was he one our targets though..

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Never actually heard he was released by Rangers, that is disappointing, although was he one our targets though..

I would've had him back but having Armstrong Mcgrattan Frizz Mcstravick who were the kind of attacking midfielders in the team wouldn't say we really need him and would use budget elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Lyall heading to Morton.

They tried to sign him in January so not surprised they’re in for him again. I’d like to have kept him, his decision making was often really poor but plenty to work with, but not a priority when we’ve just signed Armstrong and McGrattan.

17 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I would've had him back but having Armstrong Mcgrattan Frizz Mcstravick who were the kind of attacking midfielders in the team wouldn't say we really need him and would use budget elsewhere.

Lyall has ability and will improve but we definitely need a more physical type to add to our midfield where we look extremely lightweight.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I just assumed he’d move back down to England but according to Scott Burns, St. Johnstone, Partick Thistle and Raith are all after Gabby McGill.

He turned thistle down last year and Pretty sure raith were interested in January. Wouldn’t say he’s a premiership player but what a move for him if he could get to St Johnstone.

57 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I just assumed he’d move back down to England but according to Scott Burns, St. Johnstone, Partick Thistle and Raith are all after Gabby McGill.

Would be a bit surprised if he ended up at any of these clubs. Much as I liked Gabby I felt by the end of last season his time was up at Airdrie and certainly didn’t see him as a potential Premiership/ top end Championship player 

22 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

He turned thistle down last year and Pretty sure raith were interested in January. Wouldn’t say he’s a premiership player but what a move for him if he could get to St Johnstone.

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting him to have those options this summer but they all do make sense, especially with St. Johnstone’s recent recruitment. I’ll always have a lot of time for Gabby so I hope he gets a deal at St. Johnstone, would also rather not have him playing against us. A nice story if our two play-off heroes end up together in the top flight.

7 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

St Johnstone have just signed Josh McPake, taking a cheap (relatively) punt on players with a reputation and point to prove seems to be Leveins new thing

I can’t see Levein being at St Johnstone for long anyway, which is another concern as that’s exactly the type of club I can see Rhys moving to if a vacancy comes up. 

Regarding Lyall’s apparent move to Morton, whether we were interested or not, and the failure to keep hold of Ballantyne and Telfer, it looks to me like Airdrie’s policy of only offering 1 year contracts (if that is the case) means any decent, experienced players will always get better offers. 

I appreciate there is a wage structure/ budget etc. in place for a reason but if we don’t start acting more like a Championship club my fear is we won’t stay one for much longer. 

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

St Johnstone have just signed Josh McPake, taking a cheap (relatively) punt on players with a reputation and point to prove seems to be Leveins new thing

Worth mentioning we lost £1.8m in Davidson's last season are likely looking at a near 7 figure, if not over £1m, loss again from last season.  That's down to having a massive, expensive, squad of underachievers who finish low in the league and never get through a round in the cups.

We desperately need a cheaper squad that overachieves this season so "squad" players are likely going to be the best (relatively) cheap options we can get. McGill a relatively experienced players 23 or under, who's shown promise in the past, ticks a lot of boxes.

I’m really not that fussed about Lyall going elsewhere. He was *fine*, and I don’t think he’s at regular Championship level yet.

Really McGrattan is the replacement for Telfer, and I think we’re well stocked for forward thinking midfielders. Priority has to be defenders and a quality striker if possible.

8 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I’m really not that fussed about Lyall going elsewhere. He was *fine*, and I don’t think he’s at regular Championship level yet.

Really McGrattan is the replacement for Telfer, and I think we’re well stocked for forward thinking midfielders. Priority has to be defenders and a quality striker if possible.

Awe that's good to know,was getting worried ,making the player better then player going to play against us , must be method in our madness ,

12 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Just making the point about 1 year deals although McGrattan wasn't really a regular for Morton either. He certainly spent loads more time on the bench than playing. 

Edited by Kenny_m

13 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Just making the point about 1 year deals although McGrattan wasn't really a regular for Morton either. He certainly spent loads more time the bench than playing. 

Will McGrattan be our most experienced signing,