Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

On 26/06/2024 at 22:19, DiamondDownSouth said:

CC - in the video introducing the third kit, after the group photo three players are shown in the 73/74 change top. The second one is Mark Cowan and third Ray Franchetti, but I'm not sure who the first one is - is it Jim March? 

Just saw your post and I'll need to look at the photo. 

45 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

Airdrie, Dunfermline and Partick chasing the signature of Chris Mochrie according to twitter.

Style of play and agent points to Airdrie but he has a good relationship with Mcpake and the pars and you would imagine they would pay more.

Called this when it became common knowledge that he was out of contract. We have a multitude of midfielders now (pending any departures, right enough), so not sure how high up on the pecking order he would be.

Dunfermline fans are getting upset about their lack of action so far, so I guess they’ll want to go all out to get some players in.

42 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Called this when it became common knowledge that he was out of contract. We have a multitude of midfielders now (pending any departures, right enough), so not sure how high up on the pecking order he would be.

Dunfermline fans are getting upset about their lack of action so far, so I guess they’ll want to go all out to get some players in.

He's Consilium, he must be ours!

Talented player who has ability to beat a man and IMO would be top of our pecking order and definitely a Rhys type player. Unless Jackie Mac can do something with the deal then unlikely it will be us unless we push the boat out.

I recently read Pat Nevin's latest book where he revealed that when he was at Motherwell, John Spencer's salary was 25% of the entire playing budget. That's pushing the boat out, I mean a couple of hundred per week and if Rhys thinks he can help us finish a position higher in the league then its value.

Two trialists starting and another on the bench! Difficult to infer the positions of the starting trialists given that there's no way of knowing yet if we'll be playing a back 4 or 5, a lone striker or two up top, whether McCabe will be at the back or in midfield. And I can't make the game so I'll remain in the dark on all of that, but I'm sure someone that goes along will recognise a trialist or hear a rumour or two and drop some info in here at half 5 (that's a hint by the way, not a prediction!)

6 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I'd agree it's Jim March and Kevin McCann

I think that I remember that game, I think that Jim March had recently signed and was playing in a more forward role.

I was standing in my usual spot behind the goals at the Gartlea end.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

He's Consilium, he must be ours!

Talented player who has ability to beat a man and IMO would be top of our pecking order and definitely a Rhys type player. Unless Jackie Mac can do something with the deal then unlikely it will be us unless we push the boat out.

I recently read Pat Nevin's latest book where he revealed that when he was at Motherwell, John Spencer's salary was 25% of the entire playing budget. That's pushing the boat out, I mean a couple of hundred per week and if Rhys thinks he can help us finish a position higher in the league then its value.

And it upsets a few others!

44 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Two trialists starting and another on the bench! Difficult to infer the positions of the starting trialists given that there's no way of knowing yet if we'll be playing a back 4 or 5, a lone striker or two up top, whether McCabe will be at the back or in midfield. And I can't make the game so I'll remain in the dark on all of that, but I'm sure someone that goes along will recognise a trialist or hear a rumour or two and drop some info in here at half 5 (that's a hint by the way, not a prediction!)

Just adding a thought to this, the two starting trialists could possibly be Wilson and Armstrong since both are still contracted to their previous clubs?

32 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Just adding a thought to this, the two starting trialists could possibly be Wilson and Armstrong since both are still contracted to their previous clubs?

44 is armstrong. 23 is someone new 

Edited by Diamonds02

19 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

44 is armstrong. 23 is someone new 

I’m not there but I believe the trialist on the bench is one of last season’s U18s players Lewis Bruin. 23 is called Steven apparently, so maybe Steven Warnock?

IMG_6308.webp

Edited by airdrieman

On 26/06/2024 at 08:12, AJ77 said:

Just me that wouldn't be too bothered if McMaster left and we got a decent fee for him? I know Aiken only here till January currently but I don't think there's much between the 2. If we got a 6 figure fee for Deano I'd see that as very good business from the club.

On 26/06/2024 at 08:24, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Mate, if we got offered 6 figures for any of our players, I'd take it 😂

On 26/06/2024 at 08:26, AJ77 said:

I know what you mean but was getting at would rather lose him than Hancock and would probably rather lose Hancock on a free next summer if it means he gets the full season here.

I don’t want to lose either of them, and in an ideal world we’d have them signed up for beyond this season and sell them next summer. But if we get a good offer (6 figures) for either or each of them, I think it would be hard to turn that down. As vital as they both are, and Hancock is especially outstanding, I think at our level if you get a good and fair offer for a full-back or defensive midfielder you probably take it? It’s not like a 20 goal striker who’s worth not cashing in on because he wins you games himself. Indeed, their replacements might already have been signed. Already chat online that McMaster didn’t feature today because he’s being sold. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t want to lose either of them, and in an ideal world we’d have them signed up for beyond this season and sell them next summer. But if we get a good offer (6 figures) for either or each of them, I think it would be hard to turn that down. As vital as they both are, and Hancock is especially outstanding, I think at our level if you get a good and fair offer for a full-back or defensive midfielder you probably take it? It’s not like a 20 goal striker who’s worth not cashing in on because he wins you games himself. Indeed, their replacements might already have been signed. Already chat online that McMaster didn’t feature today because he’s being sold. 

I don't expect Hancock to be here after the window closes. He's came on at half time today and is a level above everyone.