Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

4 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

The only thing i'd say to all this, is how many Premier league clubs/Supporters would be fully onboard with a team that plays like this as you have to patient enough to take the inevitable mistakes that come with playing out from the back like this.

Support like hearts and ours would be crying for his head after a couple of defeats, screaming " f**k this tippy tappy pish "

Quite a lot of our fans were the same at 1st.   I must admit including myself.  Some saying player managers don't work and the style of football at 1st looked like we over played at times.  We do have a risk/reward style that we have to accept does give other teams chances however on the days it really works it really is a joy to watch. From when he 1st took over even the sceptical fans didn't complain much as the style of football was entertaining.  If the manager moves to a bigger club with better players I really think he would do well.

heres the question i wanna propose, who's to say that if we do pull off the impossible and win the championship and finally ascend to the premiership after a 30 ish year wait...would we keep McCabe?, other teams in the premiership would obviously bite our hand off for him to manage them, and i cant see him abandoning ship mid season to go and save say a struggling dundee utd, st johnstone or ross county per say (just pulling names out, not saying these will be the bottom 3)

but yea whos to say that if we go up...he stays

This is really the first team he has put together and there is a lot of potential for his coaching to make the players better. If he works with them for a couple of years and adds players going forward I like to think he can actually take us up. In 2 years time most of the players will still be under 25. He has chosen players for their potential and maybe not just to sell on. Maybe he is creating a team within the constraints he has that can go on to surprise everyone.

10 minutes ago, boost said:

heres the question i wanna propose, who's to say that if we do pull off the impossible and win the championship and finally ascend to the premiership after a 30 ish year wait...would we keep McCabe?, other teams in the premiership would obviously bite our hand off for him to manage them, and i cant see him abandoning ship mid season to go and save say a struggling dundee utd, st johnstone or ross county per say (just pulling names out, not saying these will be the bottom 3)

but yea whos to say that if we go up...he stays

I personally think he's destined for things bigger than Scotland TBF. I think if he leaves, it's down south.

5 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I personally think he's destined for things bigger than Scotland TBF. I think if he leaves, it's down south.

I think so too. I can see his next move being a decent League One club down in England. He didn’t have the most interesting career down there but having played for a few clubs will help get his name around too. By that point we’ll have ATS as manager giving miserable post-match interviews after wins in the Premiership.

16 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think so too. I can see his next move being a decent League One club down in England. He didn’t have the most interesting career down there but having played for a few clubs will help get his name around too. By that point we’ll have ATS as manager giving miserable post-match interviews after wins in the Premiership.

"So Aaron, you've just won the Champions' League!  What an achievement!  You must feel so proud of what you've done and what your players did out there tonight."
"Aye, it's good." [sighs wearily]

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

Maybe best to play a few league games first ,see  how it goes ,

As far as I see it there are 3 scenarios:

1. Season is a failure out of running / struggling by xmas - Interest in McCabe cools but lower end premier / Dunfermline / Falkirk / Raith (if Murray gets a better move or the sack- either likely) come calling.

2. Failure in playoffs again - McCabe gives it one last throw of the dice

3. Promotion - McCabe sticks around to test himself in Premier with possibility if going well moves during the year to either Rangers or English Championship / lower EPL team 

In my opinion 1 is highly unlikely but you never know, I guess after first quarter we will have at least an idea.

Really can't see him going to / accepting any other Scottish team than Rangers if successful.

1 hour ago, CumbyDiamond said:

As far as I see it there are 3 scenarios:

1. Season is a failure out of running / struggling by xmas - Interest in McCabe cools but lower end premier / Dunfermline / Falkirk / Raith (if Murray gets a better move or the sack- either likely) come calling.

2. Failure in playoffs again - McCabe gives it one last throw of the dice

3. Promotion - McCabe sticks around to test himself in Premier with possibility if going well moves during the year to either Rangers or English Championship / lower EPL team 

In my opinion 1 is highly unlikely but you never know, I guess after first quarter we will have at least an idea.

Really can't see him going to / accepting any other Scottish team than Rangers if successful.

If we even look like challenging for the league then I suspect he will be away mid season. If he does stay and gets us promoted then he will definitely be away. I certainly would take the chance to move whilst his stock is at its highest. He could stay for another season and get us relegated and might be questioned.

I said this last season and will repeat. Airdrie fans need to enjoy this period as it’s as good as it’s been for a long time. I am not sure it will continue once McCabe leaves so might as well make the most of it.

58 minutes ago, Aufc said:

If we even look like challenging for the league then I suspect he will be away mid season. If he does stay and gets us promoted then he will definitely be away. I certainly would take the chance to move whilst his stock is at its highest. He could stay for another season and get us relegated and might be questioned.

I said this last season and will repeat. Airdrie fans need to enjoy this period as it’s as good as it’s been for a long time. I am not sure it will continue once McCabe leaves so might as well make the most of it.

I see no reason why it wouldn’t continue. The foundations he has laid here will still be in place when he moves on.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

No harm to you Nikolay but this is what happens when you sign for that nonsense football club. 

Grass isn't always greener.

Had a few Rangers pals from the work mention McCabe as a Clement successor when that time comes, particularly after the Aberdeen match. I think it’s probably a bit too early for that but within Scotland there aren’t exactly many candidates giving themselves a chance.

6 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Had a few Rangers pals from the work mention McCabe as a Clement successor when that time comes, particularly after the Aberdeen match. I think it’s probably a bit too early for that but within Scotland there aren’t exactly many candidates giving themselves a chance.

Understand the logic,  He needs to win a league though will he do it at Airdrie hopefully , that's what he will judged on not 45 mins against Aberdeen,  Rhys will move to bigger clubs in Scotland as natural progression,   cannot see Rangers unless it is involved in youth setup or similar,

His next move will be a Dunfermline or a Falkirk type club,

18 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I think he’s a future Rangers at some point but yeah, there’s at least one move in between. Even if McCabe won the league with us, it’s still a massive jump and he wouldn’t get that offer just yet.

28 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think he’s a future Rangers at some point but yeah, there’s at least one move in between. Even if McCabe won the league with us, it’s still a massive jump and he wouldn’t get that offer just yet.

I see his next move as Scot Prem or EFL but too much snobbery in Scottish football for it to be any of the big Glasgow 2.  I do expect it to be one of the Scot Prem bigger clubs although I've no doubt St Johnstone will come calling in October once they sack Levein but expect he'll wait for Hibs to ditch David Gray.

Or alternatively we're top of the League by 9 points in November and he tells them all to feck off!!!

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I see his next move as Scot Prem or EFL but too much snobbery in Scottish football for it to be any of the big Glasgow 2.  I do expect it to be one of the Scot Prem bigger clubs although I've no doubt St Johnstone will come calling in October once they sack Levein but expect he'll wait for Hibs to ditch David Gray.

Or alternatively we're top of the League by 9 points in November and he tells them all to feck off!!!

As has been stated before,  Rhys has to sit and pass 2 coaching courses in order to manager in the precious Premier League,  That is the rules set by the SPFL, Rhys is aware of this and must be Comfortable with his current situation...

Teams will not come calling until his situation changes

Depending how we start this season and which Premiership clubs sack their managers first, I would have thought Rhys’s likely next destination to be a Dundee / Killie / St Mirren / (dare I say it) Motherwell sized club. Can’t see him going to any other Championship club and agree Rangers etc. is too big a jump 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

No harm to you Nikolay but this is what happens when you sign for that nonsense football club. 

Mickey Mouse outfit from top to bottom. Thank god Zengin never got his hands on our club