Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

It shows Mcbookie is absolute guess work as Courts was 6/4 despite never being declared as a runner and the whispers always where he had no interest. 

That however doesn’t stop me shitting it every time a Hibs or a St Johnstone get a bad result. Also hoping Goodwin has a blinding season too. 

56 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

It shows Mcbookie is absolute guess work as Courts was 6/4 despite never being declared as a runner and the whispers always where he had no interest. 

That however doesn’t stop me shitting it every time a Hibs or a St Johnstone get a bad result. Also hoping Goodwin has a blinding season too. 

I'm sure I seen it somewhere that 8 Premiership managers lost their jobs last year so best stock up on the undergarments matey!

We all know that the odds of him still being in charge this time next year are slim to none - for what it’s worth, I think that if he were to achieve the seemingly unachievable and get us to the Premiership, he may fancy a crack at it depending on what else is on offer at the time. That said, I’m fully braced for and accepting of the fact that his time as our manager is nearing its end.

What's far more important to me is where he goes, I never begrudged IM his move as it made sense in terms of a next step from where we were, he was and RR were - I understand it doesn’t always work that way in football but I have respect for IM for that and hope (believe) Rhys would be the same, he certainly comes across that way. 

Given he’s been shown great faith and been backed incredibly well by the club, and that he has things the way he wants in terms of culture, squad, etc. I think the only way he moves is if it betters him and the only such moves right now based on where he is as a coach and what he has with us would be the Scottish Prem or down south. For me, it’s only when those jobs come up we need to be worried.

Again though, I’d caveat that with why worry, when we know it WILL happen some time in the very near future. They key is in the next appointment and, at present, PH and the board have made 2 appointments in their time in charge of the club - both of which have been shrewd and taken us to where we are today, so we need to trust in them to take us forward again when Rhys does go. The groundwork and ethos doesn’t need to go entirely when the manager does, as was the case with IM, so we need to bear that in mind too.

3 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Again though, I’d caveat that with why worry, when we know it WILL happen some time in the very near future. They key is in the next appointment and, at present, PH and the board have made 2 appointments in their time in charge of the club - both of which have been shrewd and taken us to where we are today, so we need to trust in them to take us forward again when Rhys does go. The groundwork and ethos doesn’t need to go entirely when the manager does, as was the case with IM, so we need to bear that in mind too.

If McCabe goes mid season to bigger things then I wouldn't be surprised to see IM back here, believe he's still got a good relationship with the guys upstairs.

45 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

If McCabe goes mid season to bigger things then I wouldn't be surprised to see IM back here, believe he's still got a good relationship with the guys upstairs.

I never disliked Ian Murray (and still don't) but unsure on his return and its entirely possible he has another job whenever that time comes, or he might just be happy to collect his severance from Raith.

Hypothetically, Hibs come calling in October for Rhys, and we're sitting top of the League, then we'd be inundated with a higher standard of applicants than if we're sitting down the bottom.

All about timing and circumstances.

Murray did a good job for us, and we were good for Murray, I'd like to leave it at that. Our model seems to be to invest in young players and develop them on through good coaching, I don't really see that as something in Murray's skillset so wouldn't make any sense for me. If McCabe does leave this season you'd assume it's because we are doing well near the top of the league and therefore it would be an attractive job.

3 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Would take him back in a heartbeat - genuinely.

I really like Murray but yeah, I’m not sure he’s the right fit for where the club are just now. I’ve said it before but it wouldn’t surprise me if ATS got the job when McCabe moves on.

It’ll be an attractive job and after the last two appointments you have to trust the board with whoever they appoint. I think managers will look at Airdrie and see that they gave Murray a chance when his career was going nowhere, gave him a lot of time to rebuild things and then took a chance on McCabe and again have backed him and given him a lot of freedom. It helps that we’ve largely been quite good for a while but even during McCabe and Murray’s tricky spells you never really felt like they were under huge pressure from the board. Raith are a bigger club with a bigger budget but compare that patience to emptying Murray after their best season in years.

4 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

He certainly liked player's that had a connection with Airdrie 

I remember at the time it was PH that was pushing for Murray to get the job,   the other one that had gathered support and was close to being appointed was James Duffy esq..  Let that sink in,,   

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I really like Murray but yeah, I’m not sure he’s the right fit for where the club are just now. I’ve said it before but it wouldn’t surprise me if ATS got the job when McCabe moves on.

Agree wholeheartedly with both of these shouts.

Plus sinky defo has his coaching badges 

Edited by cb_diamond

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

Since we have had success with player manager… my outside shout for next manager is Adam frizzell 

I could see ATS getting the manager role (and stopping playing) and Frizzell becoming player / assistant like Fordyce. Unlike a lot of the other Heroes of the promotion winning team who have gone on to bigger teams, I think Frizzell has reached the highest level he can as a player so would be a natural progression to look at coaching. The risk with ATS would be, can lightening really strike twice going appointing a player as manager? You never know...

20 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

I could see ATS getting the manager role (and stopping playing) and Frizzell becoming player / assistant like Fordyce. Unlike a lot of the other Heroes of the promotion winning team who have gone on to bigger teams, I think Frizzell has reached the highest level he can as a player so would be a natural progression to look at coaching. The risk with ATS would be, can lightening really strike twice going appointing a player as manager? You never know...

I know ATS is registered as a player, but I don't think he's likely to play much at all.  Far less often than McCabe does, for sure, and less still by next year.
As for Frizzell, he already does some kind of coaching thing, I think.  Not with the club directly, I don't think, but if memory serves he does some youth football coaching with Prunty.  He might fancy a step up to senior coaching at some point, but he's still only 26.

6 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

He might fancy a step up to senior coaching at some point, but he's still only 26.

Absolutely, he's way too young and Rhys is 1 of a kind. It'll be a tough ask for whoever takes over.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Absolutely, he's way too young and Rhys is 1 of a kind. It'll be a tough ask for whoever takes over.

Let's just focus on Rhys being our manager for a couple more seasons ,

9 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I know ATS is registered as a player, but I don't think he's likely to play much at all.  Far less often than McCabe does, for sure, and less still by next year.
As for Frizzell, he already does some kind of coaching thing, I think.  Not with the club directly, I don't think, but if memory serves he does some youth football coaching with Prunty.  He might fancy a step up to senior coaching at some point, but he's still only 26.

Jeez didn’t realise he was so young. I feel f**king old