Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Is anyone else of the opinion that we (Rhys/BOD) are holding out on the defender situation because we’re hoping to get Megwa on board? I know we’ve had someone training with us and that seems to be going nowhere.  I also know Kanayo really enjoyed his time at Airdrie and I think he’s got a real love for the support - are we in the running to take him on loan this year? He may be cup tied and there’s no rush on things this week.  On Friday we looked seriously vulnerable at the back and losing Dycey, Kanayo and Ballantyne has really left us with issues.  The team has faced good competition like Aberdeen and done well but the Dumbarton game raised concerns and even though we expect to get one, maybe two hammerings in the season we could be on to worse if we don’t get this resolved asap.  Personally, I’m looking for 2 defenders to come in but we’ll have to see how it works out.  Dundee may be another game that badly exposes our weaknesses but I’m hoping we bounce back and at least give a really good account of ourselves 

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Is anyone else of the opinion that we (Rhys/BOD) are holding out on the defender situation because we’re hoping to get Megwa on board

It's a risky strategy as Hibs might decide to keep him or loan him to another team. There must have been some sort of plan to spend the wage freed up by Todorov leaving so whether that's fallen through or taking longer than expected, who knows. Everyone is aware of where we need to strengthen so hopefully get someone in before the next league game. 

On 12/08/2024 at 23:06, moses1924 said:

It's a risky strategy as Hibs might decide to keep him or loan him to another team. There must have been some sort of plan to spend the wage freed up by Todorov leaving so whether that's fallen through or taking longer than expected, who knows. Everyone is aware of where we need to strengthen so hopefully get someone in before the next league game. 

Would think the team to face Dundee will be as close as line up   v Aberdeen  with Rhys back  starting,,

53 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Would think the team to face Dundee will be as close as line up   v Aberdeen  with Rhys back  starting,,

He has to lead from the front,  until players are confident enough without him,  Rhys was outstanding against Raith , 6 days later we had the  worst defensive display since Taylor Wimpey won the tender to build Rome..

Interestingly having watched the Rangers debacle,   Clement started with the same system and formation we employed at Ayr United,   it is designed to smother teams sitting deep,  but if teams can win the ball back in midfield,  full back positions are cruelly exposed,   we may have to go back to a more tradional defensive line up in the coming games,   i believe we only have a further 2 loanees available,   personally think we are 3 players short. RB, CB, and striker.  Will having 2 loanee keepers come back to haunt us

10 minutes ago, Passionate said:

i believe we only have a further 2 loanees available

Is this only domestic loans, or does it extend to "international" e.g Middlesborough etc?

just curious because I dont actually know the situation or quotas on loans not from your own country.

9 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Was listening to an "Airdrie" playlist on spotify earlier and the Italian national anthem was on it, couldn't think of any Airdrie songs with that as the tune?

Probably mixed up with French one.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

Probably mixed up with French one.

I thought that too but the French one was on as well, had to change to a different playlist now anyway as it turns out I was shouting "Airdrie for the Texaco Cup" out loud rather than just in my head which wasnt well received in the office

45 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Is this only domestic loans, or does it extend to "international" e.g Middlesborough etc?

just curious because I dont actually know the situation or quotas on loans not from your own country.

I’m pretty sure it’s maximum 5 domestic loans, maximum 3 from one club, and international loans don’t count as part of that. So 2 domestic loans left, 1 possible from Hibs.

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’m pretty sure it’s maximum 5 domestic loans, maximum 3 from one club, and international loans don’t count as part of that. So 2 domestic loans left, 1 possible from Hibs.

And endless possibilities from Genk, VVV Venlo and Stevenage.

On 10/08/2024 at 12:31, Passionate said:

We ridiculed Mick Kennedy of EK for having the audacity to come to Airdrie and play his idealistic football philosophy and got handed his arse big time,   a few short weeks later our fearless Manager who apparently doesn't fancy going up against Oakley gets handed his arse on national TV playing exactly the same way....

For us to continually play suicidal balls around our own box against a marauding Ayr midfield was unforgivable,  the performance of many was cowardly. Namely Aiken and McMaster,  2 centre mids that watched that game totally pass them by,,    Mochrie was poor,  McGrattan didn't get the ball but at least he played his position and Ben up top who was as poor as the rest also....

Don't know why a lot are comparing this defeat to Arbroath, this was 10 times worse than that,    has Rhys taken us as far as he can.....

" Has Rhys taken us as far as he can "

Utter nonsense, Disconnect your internet if you are a frequent writer of such tripe !! 

On 12/08/2024 at 20:21, FLDiamond said:

Is anyone else of the opinion that we (Rhys/BOD) are holding out on the defender situation because we’re hoping to get Megwa on board? I know we’ve had someone training with us and that seems to be going nowhere.  I also know Kanayo really enjoyed his time at Airdrie and I think he’s got a real love for the support - are we in the running to take him on loan this year? He may be cup tied and there’s no rush on things this week.  On Friday we looked seriously vulnerable at the back and losing Dycey, Kanayo and Ballantyne has really left us with issues.  The team has faced good competition like Aberdeen and done well but the Dumbarton game raised concerns and even though we expect to get one, maybe two hammerings in the season we could be on to worse if we don’t get this resolved asap.  Personally, I’m looking for 2 defenders to come in but we’ll have to see how it works out.  Dundee may be another game that badly exposes our weaknesses but I’m hoping we bounce back and at least give a really good account of ourselves 

I don't think they are holding out for Megwa, I think it's just getting the remaining deals sorted and making sure they are the right fit as the manager has openly said. I agree on the whole though the sooner the better at getting new faces in, I think we will see one in for sure before Queens Park. 

15 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

" Has Rhys taken us as far as he can "

Utter nonsense, Disconnect your internet if you are a frequent writer of such tripe !! 

So your new here , and disagree with my good self,   Join the rest pal.....

Reference my comment how far can Rhys take us,   I think Promotion Playoffs are a realistic lofty position for Airdrie,   we're you there in the bad times "United" and TW areas weren't much fun , when our club scrapped to stay in League 1 .......

Ok Rock,   How are can we go....

5 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

I don't think they are holding out for Megwa, I think it's just getting the remaining deals sorted and making sure they are the right fit as the manager has openly said. I agree on the whole though the sooner the better at getting new faces in, I think we will see one in for sure before Queens Park. 

Obvious it won't happen but Fordyce and Toddy would go a long way to solving our problem ,

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

So your new here , and disagree with my good self,   Join the rest pal.....

Reference my comment how far can Rhys take us,   I think Promotion Playoffs are a realistic lofty position for Airdrie,   we're you there in the bad times "United" and TW areas weren't much fun , when our club scrapped to stay in League 1 .......

Ok Rock,   How are can we go....

Last season was successful in getting to the playoffs and no less that the club targeted. This season the target is Premier league and at worst Playoffs. Time will tell if this happens but I see no reason why not with a few bumps in the road for sure though. 

I have followed Airdrie for over 50 years now and have seen all the ups and downs in this time, This is by far one of the best sides we have put together in my time but also one of the best set ups behind the scenes in the boardroom and I can see nothing but an upwards trajectory for the club and the current manager. 

One thing the team does need is everyone behind them not asking if the manager has taken them as far as he can after one, Yes hefty, Defeat. Let's not take away from Ayr who got it right on Friday and stopped Airdrie from playing how we can, The next time we play them you would hope to see lessons learned and a different outcome. Again, Time shall tell.  

10 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Obvious it won't happen but Fordyce and Toddy would go a long way to solving our problem ,

Agreed Fordyce is a miss and was especially a miss on Friday with his leadership. Todorov, Not as sure he would have made any difference.