Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Honestly don’t understand why any lower team supporter says they don’t care about the diddy cup. It’s literally the only trophy we all have a realistic chance of winning. The whole day last season was f**king magic and I’d give anything to experience that again this season

17 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Honestly don’t understand why any lower team supporter says they don’t care about the diddy cup. It’s literally the only trophy we all have a realistic chance of winning. The whole day last season was f**king magic and I’d give anything to experience that again this season

I hope we don't win it this year, my arse can't handle another tumble over the barriers 🤣.

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hopefully Rhys plays his strongest side as much as he can due to injuries and try and attack and win the game,  to get the confidence moving on the right direction...

Looking at the season so far and for various reasons the season in risk of going Pete tong already,   injuries don't help,   I tend to look a bit deeper....

Did we go into this season under cooked,  2 friendlies,  The Rovers and a training week game with Crusaders and then into the League cup section..   a lot questioned it at the time.....

Look at Ayr United for example we can say they have splashed the cash all they want,  although they have self generated a lot,  a competitive sell out friendly with Celtic another near sell out friendly with local rivals Killie.....    They seemed streets ahead or is and other teams so far this season, could this be down to a real desire to hit the ground running,   we seem to have been left behind, with the narrative of time on legs etc,    we have a wicked run of fixtures coming up and really need points are we up to speed yet though....

I'm sure we had a closed door friendly against a Premier team as well.  St Mirren, maybe?  I know that if that's so that's still only three rather than two, but with the League Cup starting so early these days I think a lot of clubs see that as effectively more preseason.

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hopefully Rhys plays his strongest side as much as he can due to injuries and try and attack and win the game,  to get the confidence moving on the right direction...

Looking at the season so far and for various reasons the season in risk of going Pete tong already,   injuries don't help,   I tend to look a bit deeper....

Did we go into this season under cooked,  2 friendlies,  The Rovers and a training week game with Crusaders and then into the League cup section..   a lot questioned it at the time.....

Look at Ayr United for example we can say they have splashed the cash all they want,  although they have self generated a lot,  a competitive sell out friendly with Celtic another near sell out friendly with local rivals Killie.....    They seemed streets ahead or is and other teams so far this season, could this be down to a real desire to hit the ground running,   we seem to have been left behind, with the narrative of time on legs etc,    we have a wicked run of fixtures coming up and really need points are we up to speed yet though....

We won 4 of our first 5 competitive games, and the 1 defeat was a good performance away to a good Aberdeen side. What evidence is there that we were under cooked given those early results? I think Rhys saw our fixtures started with 2 easy games and used them as an extension of pre-season, banking on us still being able to get 2 wins while getting players up to speed, and he was spot on.

The injury thing is a red herring, we had basically a full squad to pick from against Ayr apart from McGregor and got thumped, and then a couple of injuries the next 2 weeks which is par for the course. If you build a squad with hardly any defenders we don't really get to play the bad luck card when Wilson gets injured and there's no-one left to play.

We've had a few bad results due to a combination of playing away to 2 good sides, and some questionable tactics. On the basis of today McCabe has already shifted a bit from those tactics to going a bit more direct, like the 3rd goal. Interested to see what we do next week.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Great to keep a clean sheet and get a much needed win ahead of some tricky games this month. Some interesting questions with the team next week now too.

Does Johnson come straight back in or does Wright get another go in goals? A clean sheet is good but sounds like he wasn’t tested too much today. The back four probably pick themselves. 

It’s fair to say we’ve only really played well this season when McGregor has started or in yesterday’s case when Reid has started alongside Wilson. Do you try and fit both in next week or just go with one? I’d lean towards starting McGregor, I certainly don’t think you can play both and Mochrie without leaving the centre quite exposed. Gallagher and Frizzell are probably nailed on so it’s whether Agyemang stays in or if Armstrong comes back in to join them. 

Edited by Mr November

12 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We won 4 of our first 5 competitive games, and the 1 defeat was a good performance away to a good Aberdeen side. What evidence is there that we were under cooked given those early results? I think Rhys saw our fixtures started with 2 easy games and used them as an extension of pre-season, banking on us still being able to get 2 wins while getting players up to speed, and he was spot on.

The injury thing is a red herring, we had basically a full squad to pick from against Ayr apart from McGregor and got thumped, and then a couple of injuries the next 2 weeks which is par for the course. If you build a squad with hardly any defenders we don't really get to play the bad luck card when Wilson gets injured and there's no-one left to play.

We've had a few bad results due to a combination of playing away to 2 good sides, and some questionable tactics. On the basis of today McCabe has already shifted a bit from those tactics to going a bit more direct, like the 3rd goal. Interested to see what we do next week.

Would you say then that Raith are the only team on the same  level we have managed to beat,

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Great to keep a clean sheet and get a much needed win ahead of some tricky games this month. Some interesting questions with the team next week now too.

Does Johnson come straight back in or does Wright get another go in goals? A clean sheet is good but sounds like he wasn’t tested too much today. The back four probably pick themselves. 

It’s fair to say we’ve only really played well this season when McGregor has started or in yesterday’s case when Reid has started alongside Wilson. Do you try and fit both in next week or just go with one? I’d lean towards starting McGregor, I certainly don’t think you can play both and Mochrie without leaving the centre quite exposed. Gallagher and Frizzell are probably nailed on so it’s whether Agyemang stays in or if Armstrong comes back in to join them. 

I've no doubt that Johnson comes back in for Wright and Hancock for Bruce and McGregor also will be next to Wilson up top. I just don't think that Reid has done anywhere near enough to merit a start in such a big game.

Midfield however is interesting as Agyemang was in the McMaster deep lying role yesterday so is he earmarked as the cover for that position? (If i recall the Hamilton game 2 weeks ago it was Gallagher who was the deepest)   

I'll go for a midfield 4 of Gallagher, Agyemang, Mochrie & Frizzell with only Frizz a certainty as it wouldn't surprise me if Armstrong came in from the start. As much as I like Aiken and believe this is a game that his energy is required I see him and McGrattan on the bench.                                                                               

20 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

McGrattan on the bench.                                                                               

I think it's safe to say that this phrase will become the norm this season.

I have been so much more confident that Agyemang can hold on to the ball out from the back. The couple of times he was under pressure he just doesn't let up and hangs on to the ball. He also saw the quick pass and delivered it rather than automatically playing keep ball. So I would play him in the McMaster role and let Gallagher get forward as he had some great touches and will get better with the confidence that comes from regular starts. 2 up front was a big improvement and Reid puts himself about in a way that Wilson doesn't but McGregor just looks so much more dangerous. I think Mochrie will get better and is the creative link we have been missing but I also like Armstrong. 

The good thing about yesterday was how strong the bench looked. We now have players who can come on and slot in at the same level as the player going off. Even with the missing players we have options. 

I am a bit worried that neither centre half commands the box the way Dycey did and even A.Wilson has shown. When the high balls come in we look a bit weak. Having said that I think Watson will struggle to get back in the team. Maybe at full back to give Macdonald a rest.

Really good performance yesterday and looked far more composed on the ball. MOTM was Chris Mochrie who has been looking far more like the excellent wee player we know he can be over the past few weeks and yesterday was his best game in a Diamond by far and he deserved his goal and was unlucky with the one of the post. Delighted for him. Also was impressed again by Terrell Agyemang in midfield, Controls the game and has a lot about him. Cracking wee player. Only gripe was Ben Wilson not getting a goal, No gripe with him as he was trying his hardest and was unlucky on a few occasions, Just need to get that wee mini drought over for him and I think having his wee pal McGregor back will help in this matter.

We needed a performance and a few goals and we got that heading into a tougher test with Falkirk and a game I am really looking forward to now. 

Edited by Rocky Rooster AFC
spelling error

17 hours ago, Aufc said:

It’s a massive pretence so that supporters of wee teams like Ayr United can feel better about having never won a national cup competition. 

1 hour ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

A very favourable Challenge cup draw indeed. Home to East Kilbride FC. 

Never liked them since their investors cooked my cousin.

Just don't accept a dinner invite from mick Kennedy and you should be OK rocky 😉 

Good draw in the marvellous challenge cup but no doubt it will be a more challenging visiting team. On Falkirk I have predicted a 1-1 draw as I'm not getting carried away after Saturday. I'd see Hancock back at LB , impressive Aggeyman where he played last week, and McGregor for pace instead of Reid. 

18 hours ago, Mr November said:

The number of Airdrie players and also former Airdrie players in this :lol: 

Don't know if it was mentioned but was great to see Justin Devenny on the bench for Palace against Chelsea couple weeks back, hopefully makes his debut at some point in the season.

On 10/09/2024 at 15:12, Ballboy said:

Just don't accept a dinner invite from mick Kennedy and you should be OK rocky 😉 

Never mind your cousin, Mick Kennedy's goose was well and truly cooked last time they came calling! 😆

And on the subject of food -

https://www.airdriefc.com/2425-news/240912/pars-foods-become-diamonds-pie-partners