Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

On 09/10/2024 at 10:55, Kenny_m said:

I just feel there destined for the bottom 3 and one of the sides we MUST finish above to stay in the championship.

On another subject, did McMaster mention (on DTV co comms) when he expected to be back?

Wilson hatrick on sat,I guess McMaster no ready to return yet,

The Broomfield Bulletin had the pleasure of chatting with Marc Smyth this week. We spoke about a number of topics including the Challenge Cup win, winning at Tynecastle, Liam McStravick, his love for Airdrie, Sandy Stewart and Kenny Black, his advice for young footballers, an interfering chairman, Dick Campbell, his current job at Cliftonville and… Joe Cardle. Subscribe to read our exclusive interview this weekend - 

https://t.co/3HuMcf5Ow1

📸©️ Robert Dalzell | Redacted Media

afe92333-528c-4c5f-a8d4-12b71c196d1b.jpeg

e97e1107-917a-4410-9351-e467736cb7c3.jpeg

2193f4c9-3597-4d32-a9b5-9e9b9311db11.jpeg

f9fda819-90b9-4ecb-aa09-8ed36c4a83f1.jpeg

Edited by airdrieman

10 hours ago, airdrieman said:

The Broomfield Bulletin had the pleasure of chatting with Marc Smyth this week. We spoke about a number of topics including the Challenge Cup win, winning at Tynecastle, Liam McStravick, his love for Airdrie, Sandy Stewart and Kenny Black, his advice for young footballers, an interfering chairman, Dick Campbell, his current job at Cliftonville and… Joe Cardle. Subscribe to read our exclusive interview this weekend - 

https://t.co/3HuMcf5Ow1

📸©️ Robert Dalzell | Redacted Media

afe92333-528c-4c5f-a8d4-12b71c196d1b.jpeg

e97e1107-917a-4410-9351-e467736cb7c3.jpeg

2193f4c9-3597-4d32-a9b5-9e9b9311db11.jpeg

f9fda819-90b9-4ecb-aa09-8ed36c4a83f1.jpeg

Watched him play a lot for us , certainly a lot of ability,the type of player we are calling out for today 100% Every game, to me a lot like Lovering,

The Terrace podcast focussed on the our game last week and suggested we are not as good as the last 2 seasons and even had the audacity to suggest that we probably have the lowest budget in the league!

Yes I know P&B is a source of their information, but hey ho that's fine at least they do some homework. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

The Terrace podcast focussed on the our game last week and suggested we are not as good as the last 2 seasons and even had the audacity to suggest that we probably have the lowest budget in the league!

Yes I know P&B is a source of their information, but hey ho that's fine at least they do some homework. 

Would think we all know from watching games this season we are no where near last season,starting to worry about tomorrow's game already ,

32 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Notice that Reid has now joined the injury list with a hamstring tear which is a big blow to the guy as that could well be a couple of months minimum before he returns.

It is indeed a blow with the lad coming onto a bit of a game,  which begs the question... Why as Rhys stated on his post match interview, (Listen to it) Reid reported a tight hamstring at half time against Dunfermline,  we all know if that happens you get subbed and are out the next 2 to 3 weeks,   Rhys put him back out 5 minutes later he tears his hamstring and is now probably out long term,   this from a manager who will go knowhere near a football park with a niggle in his calf...  Am I missing something here...

8 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Need someone in as soon as,Does any one think the pitch has something to do with all the injuries,

The pitch? Change in coaching staff? New, inexperenced physio? Or just bad luck!

Edited by Mingus2000

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

It is indeed a blow with the lad coming onto a bit of a game,  which begs the question... Why as Rhys stated on his post match interview, (Listen to it) Reid reported a tight hamstring at half time against Dunfermline,  we all know if that happens you get subbed and are out the next 2 to 3 weeks,   Rhys put him back out 5 minutes later he tears his hamstring and is now probably out long term,   this from a manager who will go knowhere near a football park with a niggle in his calf...  Am I missing something here...

Difficult one as It seemed they had an agreement at half time that if his injury got worse he would come off. After just getting into the side Reid probably didn't want to be subbed and I'm sure our physio must have played a major part as well.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

I'm not a physiotherapist (I assume you are not either), but if a muscle is tight, I think "I'll see how I feel, and give you a sign if it's not good" is not unreasonable. If I were the manager, I'd be trusting the player and physio to make the call.

Onto EK tomorrow in the Challenge Cup which is a no win situation for us after our earlier thrashing of them in the league cup. Despite being holders and the fact that this tournament just ain't that important, a win is absolutely vital for the sides confidence. And of course, no injuries especially with a tough run of league fixtures coming up.

47 minutes ago, Mingus2000 said:

I'm not a physiotherapist (I assume you are not either), but if a muscle is tight, I think "I'll see how I feel, and give you a sign if it's not good" is not unreasonable. If I were the manager, I'd be trusting the player and physio to make the call.

You are correct I am not a physio,  but a tight hammy is a tight hammy,  with the Lewis McGregor injury earlier in the season being brought back too soon etc,  surely erring on caution would save a long term injury,  but hey ho people get paid a lot of money for making wrong decisions at times...

5 hours ago, Peaked in the 90’s said:

Get McGill back on a pay per game basis 

Those of us of a certain vintage might remember a comic strip character, might have been in the Tiger or some suchlike - the player played for clubs on that basis, pay per game! 

3 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Those of us of a certain vintage might remember a comic strip character, might have been in the Tiger or some suchlike - the player played for clubs on that basis, pay per game! 

I'm sure George Best played for Hibs on a similar basis ,

57 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

There was a "player" by the name of Stark, also the name of the comic strip, who featured in Scoop from the late 70s into the early 80s, moved from club to club on a pay per game basis and was described as a footballing mercenary and winner for hire. Showing my age here when I say I can remember a free gift with one of the early editions which was a badge, styled as part of a football and you could put a photo of whatever you wanted in it. Simpler times.

Anyway, get Gabby McGill back as a soccer mercenary on pay as you play until the next window.

1 minute ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

There was a "player" by the name of Stark, also the name of the comic strip, who featured in Scoop from the late 70s into the early 80s, moved from club to club on a pay per game basis and was described as a footballing mercenary and winner for hire. Showing my age here when I say I can remember a free gift with one of the early editions which was a badge, styled as part of a football and you could put a photo of whatever you wanted in it. Simpler times.

Anyway, get Gabby McGill back as a soccer mercenary on pay as you play until the next window.

That's him! "Jon Stark: Matchwinner For Hire!" Paid per goal scored and if his team won the game! 

👍I remember Scoop, more into Action (The Seven Penny Nightmare! 😃), Victor and Tiger! 

Odd how our former strike force has fared since leaving us:-

Gallagher hardly getting a full game with Arbroath, McGill no club despite being linked to clubs here and a trial game at Grimsby, an unhappy Todorov substituted tonight at Hamilton against Morton and he too rarely getting a full 90 minutes... 🤔 

On the injuries I think we are suffering the same kind of problems Morton and Dunfermline had last season where players are out so other players have to play with minor injuries which then become serious. Just need to hope things improve in the next quarter.

On the strikers who left would take McGill back on a pay per game basis if he would come back, surprised he hasn't got a club by now. W should have kept Todorov as it turned out, he would have been good with Wilson I think but presumably he is under contract at Hamilton. I think Gallagher not getting a game at Arbroath tells us it was time for him to leave.