Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Willie adie said:

Lyndon Dykes , so many times he's isolated, battered, runs after everything, do much thankless work , yet he always delivers , comes up with the goods when required.

He reminds me of Dirk Kuyt 

This, this, multiplied by infinity this.  I don't care if this feels like an overreaction or getting carried away, but by Christ, for a man who had to battle back after being laid low by pneumonia (which could have caused all sorts of complications), to have still been chasing and harrying after 80-odd minutes, and to show the sort of anticipation and awareness he had to pounce on the mistake and score, guy's a fucking legend in my eyes.  He may not at times be an aesthetically pleasing striker, but like Kenny Miller before him the amount of hard work and effort he puts in when wearing the Scotland shirt, I'd never have him out the team frankly.  Sometimes having someone like that, who will willingly do all the donkey work even in the sort of conditions we saw tonight, I think he epitomises the kind of work ethic and spirit Steve Clarke has brought into this side.  No doubts, we'd have lost that in games gone before (think back to when we played Macedonia in similar conditions under Burley).

There's just something about this squad right now and after years of some mind-numbing awfulness, to be feeling so optimistic, even after just three games of a qualifying campaign, feels pretty darn good right now.

Still feel the penalty they got was incredibly soft, don't think Porteous did a huge amount wrong, I thought he was just standing his ground, although apparently there's an angle that shows he stuck a foot out to stop him.  Referee was atrocious, and also inconsistent with the cards - Tierney booked for dissent yet Odegaard had a proper hissy fit and gets away with it, dreadful...

2 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

Was trying to remember when we last lost earlier.

Obviously I could easily look it up, but competitively wasn't it Ukraine in the long delayed WC play-off? I think we'd have won that when originally scheduled if it hadn't been for Putin. Don't know if we'd have beaten Wales, we probably wouldn't have done any better than they did in the WC but I think we have improved since then.

Think we lost to Turkey in a friendly recently (obviously could look it up, but ill-informed pub type chat is more fun).

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I know what you mean but I really think Clarke now has us as a team who won't f**k up results at home against the lower seeds. It's now rare and I'm unsure when it last happened. 

Yeah I’d definitely agree. Georgia should have been battered by Norway. How Norway have a single point is incredible given they’ve been the better team in all 3 games. 

Georgia’s recent results are massaged by being in both a very weak WC Qualifying group, and a terrible UNL Group C. 

I expect them to be more organised and better than Cyprus/Armenia, but not levels above that.

Just now, rollstar said:

Obviously I could easily look it up, but competitively wasn't it Ukraine in the long delayed WC play-off? I think we'd have won that when originally scheduled if it hadn't been for Putin. Don't know if we'd have beaten Wales, we probably wouldn't have done any better than they did in the WC but I think we have improved since then.

Think we lost to Turkey in a friendly recently (obviously could look it up, but ill-informed pub type chat is more fun).

Ireland (3-0 A) was after Ukraine, no?

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

There will never be a better or more enjoyable time for Billy Gilmour to announce to the world that he knows where the goal is. 

Make it so. A full on daylight robbery please. 

And some c**t hit me with an alternative to c**cfree plz

A full on daylight robbery please. 

A full on daylight robbery please. 

A full on daylight robbery please

A full on daylight robbery please. A full on daylight robbery please. A full on daylight robbery please. A full on daylight robbery please. A full on daylight robbery please. 

Stealing Red Dead Redemption GIF by Mashed

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Got a text from my mum saying my old man left the bar at 86 minutes 🤣

I stopped watching at 85 minutes. Had put £5 on a draw at 7-1 with 15 mins to go. 

My pal texts me to say we have scored. I go in to skybet to cash out and it is suspended as we had just scored 2nd by then 🤷‍♂️😂

Fantastic result. Most unexpected after 80 mins of mediocrity. Well done the Manager and players again 👏👏👏👏

5 minutes ago, rollstar said:

11th June last year against Ireland. So unbeaten for over a year in competitive matches.

3 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Ireland (3-0 A) was after Ukraine, no?

I looked it up - the Ireland defeat was June '22, the Turkey defeat was November '22. Before that it was Denmark in September '21 and before that it was the Euros 2020, held in 2021.

8 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

This, this, multiplied by infinity this.  I don't care if this feels like an overreaction or getting carried away, but by Christ, for a man who had to battle back after being laid low by pneumonia (which could have caused all sorts of complications),

Lyndon Dykes didn't catch pneumonia. Pneumonia caught Lyndon Dykes.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Because there are folk on here who persistently talk Gilmour down.  He’s class. 

Yeah I think this is just the start for him again, its easy to forget how young he actually is. Think next season with mcallister away and maybe caciedo could be a massive one for him.

I wouldn't be surprised by the end of next season hes being courted by bigger clubs.